It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Subway.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth
reply to post by Leuan

Indeed sir, indeed. They believe that all they need to do to lose weight is to get their caloric output higher than their input, therefore creating a deficit in calories and making you HAVE to lose weight.

False.

You need to learn more about how fats work, which ones are good (saturated fats and monounsaturated fats) and what ones are terrible (trans fats and polyunsaturated fats).

You need to know that lowering cholesterol actually leads to HIGHER risks of heart attacks, not lower.

Cholesterol is ESSENTIAL for your body, so essential that if you don't take in enough your body will make it's own.

People need to learn.

Ah yes, a stroke is a very real possibility for people just starting a new "clean" diet and exercise, after many years of neglect
I know it's cliche, but I find it rings true for most: DRINK MORE WATER TO PRIME YOUR SYSTEM AND EAT MORE MEALS, WITH A SHORTER PORTION SIZE!
It does make a difference

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Although major farms that provide bulk animals are very terrible, the local farms from where I reside aren't bad in any way.

Take Zymbryzki's (pronounced zim-bris-kee's) Farm down the road from me for example.

All of their animals co-exist. All animals are on the open range, the cows eat from the grounds from which they stand. They mate as they please, not forced. All chicken are huge and healthy, and yes....they can walk.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist on a conspiracy theory forum, but.....

"It's all in the corporations, man."

Animals aren't meant to be commercialized.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Just as it should be, you don't have to not eat out if you don't want to.

If you want greasy food, go for it. It's fun and it's convenient, cheap(ish).

However, there is no alternative to home cooked meals

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
give me a toasted "subway" pastrami with provalone cheese anytime...ehmm...makes my mouth water every time i think about it.

I get B.L.T. with extra-EXTRA bacon (they never seem to put on enough), skimp on the lettuce, extra cheese, no tomatoes but with banana peppers.

I know the feeling, my mouth is watering right now.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

Pink slime has been out of the picture for nearly a year they are actually suing the group that outted them for 3 billion dollars or something like that. The companys gone

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Six inch turkey ham and bacon with white egg on wheat, toasted green peppers and onions, lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, banana peppers, and pepper.......whatever other veggies you can fit......ultimate power breakfast and you feel good after eating it too.....Anyone trying to get in shape and build lean muscle should give this a try........

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Well that's good news.....the stuff still tastes the same though, so I can't imagine it's any less worse for you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth
reply to post by Leuan

Although major farms that provide bulk animals are very terrible, the local farms from where I reside aren't bad in any way.

Take Zymbryzki's (pronounced zim-bris-kee's) Farm down the road from me for example.

All of their animals co-exist. All animals are on the open range, the cows eat from the grounds from which they stand. They mate as they please, not forced. All chicken are huge and healthy, and yes....they can walk.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist on a conspiracy theory forum, but.....

"It's all in the corporations, man."

Animals aren't meant to be commercialized.

Animals species aren't meant to be patented either! Agreed. They will deplete us if people don't wake up and get over the "cheap prices" at the market for GARBAGE MEAT.
I'm all for capitalism, but there is a loophole for people to get away with this crap on unsuspecting consumers.
In the end, the wheel keeps growing, until it is stopped by the consumers driving it.
SAD!
Cheers

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It's all down to marketing, Subway have always strained the message that they are healthy, and they legally can claim so because they offer salads and healthy options (veggie delight, veggie patty, salads, etc). Even the head company is called "Doctor's Associates" to make it sound medicaly healthy and give the image that it's backed by doctors.
I work at a Subway atm, in the UK. I can say that the veg is fresh, i prep it up myself every day. The meat on the other hand.....well, very processed, esspecialy the chicken.
The point is, you can make a subway healthy, depending on what you choose.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoShredAK
You can't just eat subway and automatically have made a healthy choice. You need to pick one of the good breads, avoid cheese, mayo, chips, SODA, and stick with a six inch.

Since this particular response was very wrong, I'm going to have to pick it apart piece by piece.

Good breads. There are no such things. Breads contain high quantities of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are worse for you than fat, by a long shot.

Carbohydrates take the place of fat in cells. Carbs stealing fats place in the cells means fat has no where to go, making you fat. Meanwhile, when the body is trying to use the carbs for energy, it can't. You know why? Because they take immensely longer to dissolve.

That's why people that jog or run a marathon eat pasta the night before a jog...because it takes until the next day for you to receive energy from it.

That's just the beginning of carbs., please don't get me started on the rest of it.

Avoid cheese.

Terrible advice. Cheese, and I mean REAL cheese, is high in fat.

Saturated and Monounsaturated. The two best kinds. Many people, people that don't know what they're talking about, try to talk about fats and how they're terrible for you.

I know for a FACT that saturated fats are the best things in the world for you. They enter the body fast, go into the cells and they're used for energy fast.

They do their job. They get in, they supply energy, they leave. They become a problem when you eat too many carbs and the carbs take their spots in the cells.

Then the fat is just hanging around, making you.....well, fat.

Avoid Mayo.

Correct, in a sense. Too many polyunsaturated fats. They take too long to use and could cause the other and better fats to not have a place, but as for anything other than fats...you're wrong.

Avoid Chips.

I agree, too many carbs.

Avoid Soda.

Yes and no. People make fun of people because they drink diet soda because they think they're doing a difference. They truly are. What's the difference? About 45 grams of carbs, and you know how I feel about carbs.

Do your research first, I have.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

Good breads. There are no such things

Not enough people really take this onboard, how bad bread actualy is for people. Personaly I choose not to eat a food that has been chemicaly bleached to turn it white lol, just one of the many reason I stay way from bread.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by jimmyx
give me a toasted "subway" pastrami with provalone cheese anytime...ehmm...makes my mouth water every time i think about it.

I've never seen pastrami in the Subways near me. Sounds nice. The Subway turbo toaster rocks.

The point the OP is making is based on the false idea that people actually think Subway is good for them. I doubt many people really think it is truly healthy, they just think it is better than most other fast food choices.

yeah, i get the point of the OP...and i agree with you, it all depends on what you order at subway...and my pastrami sandwich is one of the worse
....over the last ten years i have really limited myself from going to ANY fast food joint...i make alot of vegtable soups at home, it tastes great, you can pretty much eat as much as you want (depending on the vegtables used) and it is fairly cheap on a "cost per meal" basis

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh

Sorry Mr. Booth, I was being flippant, no offence to you or your thread, it is very simple though - moderation.
Calorie counting is only relevant if you are incapable of stopping eating at six inches, if you sit on your arse all day it's not rocket science to realise that you are storing unused calories by stuffing your face.

I know, sometimes I'm just a hard ass.

As I tell people that count calories, if you're eating a meal before going to work (depending on your work) you'll want to actually eat a higher calorie meal.

Calories are your bodies energy and you'll need a lot of it to do the work you need.

You DON'T however need a lot of calories to sit around all day

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

I agree, I usually only drink water.

More so in the summer obviously. I drink natural tea, with cinnamon sticks (for flavor
).

That's pretty much the only two things I drink.

However, if I do drink soda, it's usually diet and I usually feel bad afterwords haha.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hm. Since your OP seems to touch only on calories, i find that a bit misleading. Calories are not "bad" for you, per se, unless you're eating more than you are burning off, in which case you're likely to gain weight. That is bad with any food.

The problems, which you didn't address, and which is why Subway is generally healthier, is FAT, generally saturated fat, and sodium.

True, while the items in the first Subway chart have pretty high fat (and caloric) contents (but what do you expect from a cheese, bacon and ranch slathered 6" piece of meat, or a 6" italian sausage meat ball sandwich), that's just common sense. When you look at the second chart of subway sandwiches, the fat and caloric contents really stand out as being a lot less than those on the former list and those of McD. Granted, McDs does have some sandwiches and wraps that are low in fat.

In addition, the sodium content in Subway is very high in the first chart, but the second chart shows healthier options. McDs sodium counts on almost EVERY sandwich is off the chart. Subway is pretty high in many regards (generally in the first chart), but i attribute that to the meat and cheese. Processed meat is usually higher in sodium, due to processing.

Plus, i would personally rather eat a sandwich with a ton of vegetables (even if not as rich in nutrients like freshly picked ripe ones) than a slab of processes beef by products, filler, and pink slime. Last time i ate it a few years ago, McDs made me literally sick. Processed deli meat vs. fried or grilled processed "meat," filler, etc. Yeah.

Last, comparing the Vitamin A and C categories of Subway and McDs, Subway has a better percentage (likely due to all the vegetables).

I think that is why Subway knows that it has a select few sandwiches that are healthier than ordinary fast food (and are pushed as the less than 6g of fat option), and doesn't push its "foot long italian meatball with cheese and bacon" as being healthy. Most the "healthier" lunch items that are advertised are for the lower (6g of) fat lower sodium option sandwiches.

As and end note, i didn't know McDs had so many freakin' kinds of sandwiches. My goodness.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Yes, finally someone who works at one. I did myself, as I said.

It is true, the vegetables are sliced daily. What they don't mention is that whatever is left at the end of the day is mixed with the rest of the good stuff.

The real question is, do you trust lettuce that was in a fridge all night with about 10 other vegetables. There's no telling how many days worth of lettuce are in those containers, if you miss a few pieces from days passed and they just sit in there.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ok, fair enough, I'm still learning and I appreciate the input. This is why I love ats. I knew bread was horrible for you but I thought there were healthier bread options.
I'm not saying all fats are bad and I understand that there are good fats. I didn't mean to demonize cheese or mayo.

Soda has zero nutritional value, and diet soda is a nightmare.

I'm only trying to say that subway is a far better choice than McDonald's. especially if you build your sub with nutrition in mind.

Thank you though, Lately I've been putting a lot of focus into my diet and exercise. I want to
Get into the cage before I get too old.........

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Subway is one of the only fast food restaurants I can tolerate. McDonald's is the worst of them all. I eat there maybe once a year; not even that if I can help it. It makes me feel sick for the rest of the day after eating it.

Apparently I'm not the only one who gets sick after eating McDonald's...

edit on 16-2-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You seem pretty health conscious so I'm curious, how you feel about aspartame? Or when you do drink diet soda do you find a brand that does not contain it?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have sworn a personal oath, to never eat in any franchise eatery. I would prefer to pay a little more and eat in a mom and pop restaurant any day.

If a mom and pop isn't available; I'll get a burrito and and a 40oz at a 7/11.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join