It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart - "February Sales are a Total Disaster"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Seabag let's be honest though.

Forget law and entitlement for a moment.

OK….let’s do that.

Do you think it's fair that a executive at Wal Mart makes 10 times the amount that the front line worker makes? That they deserve to receive millions in bonuses, when in reality, without those entry level workers, Wal Mart would be a shadow of what it is.

Yes, I think that is fair. It’s fair because a board of directors who work directly for the investors who own that company decide on that salary. If they feel it's appropriate then I agree. After all, its their money!

I agree that companies certainly have a right to do as they please with pay ( other than following the established labor laws) but I think we can agree that is a moral way to do business without sacrificing profit.

I agree. What is immoral about a senior exec making millions?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wow there's a lot of market vs. people here.

My principle is pretty simple:

You have every right to make a profit and live well. ...But you don't have the right to do so by screwing over thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of people over while you do it.

Yes, there are always going to be winners and losers, but at some point we have to recognize that if we let people go too far with their capitalism and a few start accumulating obscene amounts of resources at the expense of the rest of us, these few become a threat to the very system that we live in.

We are starting to reach a critical point here in the U.S. You can talk about free markets all you want, but when you have the Walton family having as much wealth as the bottom 1/3 of the entire country, then we have a system that is going to start imploding.

There's only so many toilet seats, houses, and planes that a rich man can buy. There'll be nobody to demand the supply, and our country will collapse under the weight of its own greed.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

When Walmart refuses to offer even the most basic of coverage for their employees, pay them crap wages and treat them like dirt. That's when it's immoral.

Since that's my understanding of how a majority of wal-mart employees feel, that's where I make the judgement.

When I was in business I could have provided top tier bonuses to my executive team every year, but I didn't. I offered bonuses to my front line employees. A certain percentage of profit was allocated to them, either in the forum of annual payouts, or retirement planning.

My leadership team was paid enough to be happy with what they had and they made their own bonuses based on their own performance, not tat the expense of those below them that made it happen.

Perhaps it's just a difference of philosophy, but I fail to see how Wal Mart would be disadvantaged in doing the same. Then again, I had no share holders to report to.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Wow there's a lot of market vs. people here.

My principle is pretty simple:

You have every right to make a profit and live well. ...But you don't have the right to do so by screwing over thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of people over while you do it.

Yes, there are always going to be winners and losers, but at some point we have to recognize that if we let people go too far with their capitalism and a few start accumulating obscene amounts of resources at the expense of the rest of us, these few become a threat to the very system that we live in.

We are starting to reach a critical point here in the U.S. You can talk about free markets all you want, but when you have the Walton family having as much wealth as the bottom 1/3 of the entire country, then we have a system that is going to start imploding.

There's only so many toilet seats, houses, and planes that a rich man can buy. There'll be nobody to demand the supply, and our country will collapse under the weight of its own greed.

Well put.

I believe people have every right to make a fortune if they can come by it honestly.

But they don't have the right to use their wealth and power to rig the system.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't buy the reasoning at all in this,

1st quarters are always down for big box stores

If walmarts 1st quarter was a disaster targets should have been also and Target didn't see this problem....

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Wal-mart is crying about its sales, back in 2008 there was a documentary on Wal-mart stores and were there products come from, CHINA, wal mart has factories in China paying next to nothing for labor and no benefits, and the way they live is wrong, remember back in the days if you were a miner you got everything from the company store, well that is what wal mart does over there, they pay you wages, then charge you room and board if you live in the dorms or not, you can eat but that comes out of your check as well. Walmart is not hurting they can make a toy for $1.29 and sell it in there stores for $19.99. Don't let Walmart fool you. I try to avoid them as much as I can I will even go and pay a little more at another store just so they don't get my money. But yes they have cornered the market for the middle class.

SO BO HOOO Walmart is loosing money arent we all.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I rarely go to walmart anymore. Why would I go there when I get the same things at Target for around the same price. Their food is more expensive on many things than our Food For Less or Ralphs(Kroger). I avoid it as much as I can. Also dollar tree and 99 cent only stores for instance were selling Holiday gift bags for a buck same bag at Walmart (my partner was looking for something at Christmas so I HAD to go) $2.50 I mean really the place is a rip off anymore, another example bath sponge walmart used to sell for a buck now they are $2 same sponge $1 at the dollar tree. I could go on and on about walmart being over priced on many things but just look around and you will see what I mean. By the way I was a Department manager for a Super Center here in SoCal for 2 years so I really know what I am talking about.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
It often makes one wonder if maybe the world will hit the slow
down button one day, just get tired of it all being about the
big rat race, the 24/7 non stop business, maybe even have
a day again where all the shops actually close and we ALL get
a day off together, wow that would be nice but i doubt it
will ever happen, no rest for the wally world, or for us,
their sales eventually have to drop, i mean honestly you cant
always always expect growth.

It's called an EMP. That would be the ultimate reset.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by FlyersFan

And you don't think it's possible that Wal Mart may need a convenient scape goat?

I don't know anyone IRL who shops at Wal Mart unless it's a last resort.

Maybe you don't know anyone who shops IRL at Walmart because you don't know anyone who makes too much money to qualify for public assistance and too little to get by decently, scraping every penny from the sidewalk and robbing Peter to pay Paul, with housing and job hours jeopardized. Take a look at the Walmart parking lots. They are doing a hearty business. When push comes to shove, people do what they have to in order to put food on the table and get clothes on their kids.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
hm.. this is going to affect China more than the US economy in my opinion...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by seabag

Are you actually promoting classism in the US? It is about time it is done away with.

Walmart made 405 billion dollars last year, trust me, they can afford to pay employees.

Instead they pay employees sub par wages, no benefits, and force the states to pick up the benefits so YOU are paying for people on welfare to keep their jobs.

Then in order to make more money, they force their manufacturers jobs overseas, since they come in and take over a community and make themselves sole provider, they force the manufacturers to charge less and less, than tthe manufacturers ever wanted to lower it. So they have no choice but to send their manufacturing to ASIA, who gets the jobs.

All while racking in 400 billion pure profit.

How about Americans pay a little more, instead of expecting coffee makers for 10 bucks made from god knows what and lead painted toys, we do with less walmarts, and mom and pop can come back and make a decent living.

Yes the world would be better if you bought a damn 40-60 dollar coffee pot made from durable quality materials from mom and pop that would last you 2-3 decades instead of a 10 dollar walmart coffee pot that would last you 8mos-a year.

And here I will take your comment about paying a little more out of context:

Lol how bout we pay a little more? We've been paying a little more for a long time, and more, and more, and more. Nothing has changed, it's getting worse. We don't have a "little more" to pay to government so they can spend it on "god knows what."
We need money, too. We work hard for our money (at least I know I do) to be dishing it out to people who don't even give a sh*t!

Thanks that's all

edit on 16-2-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Or maybe it's boycotts and their own employees refusing to spend their checks there. Wal-mart is bad for America.

Retail Sales in U.S. Increase for Third Straight Month

Granted it's only a 0.1% increase.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok
Wow, how rich are you man?

You're just making an assumption.

The fact is I chose to spend my money at other retailers who are not so exploitive of our social contract. So do most of the people I know. It's not always possible, but we try. It's not always easy, but we try.

Wal Mart built it's business and reputation on "Made in America" but that changed. Now it employees mostly Chinese workers at the expense of American manufacturing jobs. Meanwhile, those Chinese workers are often exploited.

Wal Mart comes into an area and builds a monstrosity of a store then frequently later abandons it and moves on down the road, leaving a commercial eyesore and shuttered small businesses in it's wake.

Wal Mart dictates the manufacturing specs for 1000s of products. What you buy at another discounter or grocer is often due to the demands Wal Mart has made on suppliers. This includes everything from toilet paper to TVs. You can never fully escape Wal Mart's grip on the market.

Wal Mart treats their employees horribly, as has been well documented by many federal and state investigations and countless civil law suits.

Americans are addicted to Wal Mart's "cheapness" but, sadly, it is only a short term benefit because, in the long run, our assets as a nation have been cheapened as well. We have prostituted ourselves - our pride and our great heritage of manufacturing - for low prices.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wal Mart nearly destroyed our little town of about 10000 people but it didn't really it just lowered the rent and prices for buildings downtown and it bloomed. 5-6 more places to eat and a lot of other small businesses opened up even a Wiccan store. Best thing that ever happened

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
Wal Mart nearly destroyed our little town of about 10000 people but it didn't really it just lowered the rent and prices for buildings downtown and it bloomed. 5-6 more places to eat and a lot of other small businesses opened up even a Wiccan store. Best thing that ever happened

So you are saying that Walmart was a boon to your town because it lowered the property value?! In that case, prisons would be responsible for our economic recovery.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I did not read one post on this thread, why you ask because I know what I was bound to read in 90 percent of the posts.

I say good bye to Wal Mart and the Chinese crap they sell and hello to Mom and Pop stores.

I say hello to my local hardware store, I say hello to my local drug store, I say hello to my local grocery store, I say hello to my local clothing store, I say hello to my local garage who service our vehicles, I say hello to our local garden center, I say hello to our local people whom employ people and treat them right.

I am passionate about this and I will tell you straight away I have been in a Wal Mart once in my life time I think that should say something (52 years old)

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 16-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Walmart - "February Sales are a Total Disaster"

sale?

i need shoes and jeans!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

lol!
our two posts are about as opposite as they can be

i didn't read anything on this thread either.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Please don't take that as a slight against you..I was referring purely to the title...They still probably made huge profits but not nearly as much as they hoped for...just because the sales in February were a disaster it does not mean they didn't turn a profit...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
A relative that works at another rival national chain store tells me that sales there have been better than they have been for a long time.

Don't know if there's any kind of connection to fewer people shopping at Wal-Mart, though. I usually don't shop at Wal-Mart because it's a real big pain in the butt to get to from where I live.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Junkheap because: Removed a redundant "there".

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join