It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP stalls Hagel nomination by waging filibuster

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Its sad one person I actually think would do a decent job is getting the very short end of the stick.

A potential Secretary of Defense that believes we shouldn't have been in Iraq as long as we were (if at all, still haven't found those pesky WMDs we sold Saddam in the first place to fight Iran).

The school system in this country is a joke, yet we have to make sure our military has all its toys.

We are seriously at the point where the military gets it all while the people get whats left over, oh wait, we get our security blanket keeping the big bad terrorists away (while being continually robbed legally no less!).

I wonder if the people in Washington realize appointing someone who won't blindly follow orders and might not want to shoot first and ask questions later could just might work out.

That would require compromise and actually facing problems instead of sweeping them under the rug for later generations to deal with.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Well let's see how funny the GOP thinks breaking government is the next time there's a republican President... oh wait...

How is this "breaking" government? I am interested in this line of reasoning since it is the Senate's job to vet and provide consent to Presidential nominations. I would rather this happens than rubber-stamped nominees for the sake of political expedience...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
The school system in this country is a joke, yet we have to make sure our military has all its toys.

You are comparing apples to oranges here considering that the military is a Federal function and by and large, education is a State and local function that receives Federal funding. I understand the underlying premise, but you cannot compare the two really.

We are seriously at the point where the military gets it all while the people get whats left over, oh wait, we get our security blanket keeping the big bad terrorists away (while being continually robbed legally no less!).

The military receive just as much funding as our social-welfare programs....so it would seem that the People are receiving just as much money as our defense. But why bother with those facts.

That would require compromise and actually facing problems instead of sweeping them under the rug for later generations to deal with.

Here I completely agree and well said. It is done by all politicians, regardless of the silly letter reported behind their names.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Kali74
Well let's see how funny the GOP thinks breaking government is the next time there's a republican President... oh wait...

How is this "breaking" government? I am interested in this line of reasoning since it is the Senate's job to vet and provide consent to Presidential nominations. I would rather this happens than rubber-stamped nominees for the sake of political expedience...

While I do support your thought on the nominees being vetted by the senate I am opposed to it when it is in favor for a foreign country.

This was Hagel's biggest mistake.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

You are comparing apples to oranges here considering that the military is a Federal function and by and large, education is a State and local function that receives Federal funding. I understand the underlying premise, but you cannot compare the two really.

The military receive just as much funding as our social-welfare programs....so it would seem that the People are receiving just as much money as our defense. But why bother with those facts.

Here I completely agree and well said. It is done by all politicians, regardless of the silly letter reported behind their names.

Yeah you just caught me on a bad day. It just astounds me over 700 billion dollars this year alone went to the military when we are supposedly withdrawing and bringing the troops home. Withdrawing assets should require less money every year as the main fighting dies down, not require more.

I mean hell, take half of that and gather the brightest minds from across the world, and I mean everywhere, no matter their nationality or country of origin, get them together and get the ball moving on some alternative energy sources, no matter how far fetched they are. Hundreds of billions...that number is insane! I could live my life sitting pretty with a tiny fraction of a single years worth of funding.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Agreed but I am surprised that more of ATS isn't at least rallying behind the supposed public reason of answer regarding the Benghazi incident. Granted though, his answers would be a "I would have done this...." and not the answers deserved.

Here is the question: Will he execute his Office with full Faith and Diligence, in accordance to the Constitution of the United States?

Meaning, if the President wants to use some shady legal authority to use drone strikes arbitrarily, is he willing to deny the president those assets unless it is express authorized by Congress?

Bush, Obama, Clinton, or Madison....doesn't matter who is in office, that should be the question in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I mean hell, take half of that and gather the brightest minds from across the world, and I mean everywhere, no matter their nationality or country of origin, get them together and get the ball moving on some alternative energy sources, no matter how far fetched they are. Hundreds of billions...that number is insane! I could live my life sitting pretty with a tiny fraction of a single years worth of funding.

Oh I agree that we allocate monies in the most ridiculous manner and I am in the midst of it all; being an "insider".

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Here is the question: Will he execute his Office with full Faith and Diligence, in accordance to the Constitution of the United States?

Seeing how he has a America first policy I would say he would stand with the Constitution. If you were to watch the hearings one of the reasons why they are objecting to him is views on Israel just like with Ron Paul.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Breaking may be a strong word. Still, it would be very interesting to see the reaction of the Right if roles were reversed. Their reasoning behind blocking this nomination seems juvenile to me.

Now they’re threatening to stonewall his nomination to be President Barack Obama‘s defense secretary unless the White House gives them more information about what Obama was doing on the night of the deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. Read more: swampland.time.com...

I don't mean to sound insensitive to the loss of lives during the attack but this issue is over. How many hours of testimony do we have now? Combined with over 10,000 documents... they had their chance to find whatever they were looking for (I personally believe a way to impeach Obama) and didn't, in the public hearings they asked the same questions over and over again... what a waste.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join