It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The technique of not using your thumbs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
I Have to tell you I thoroughly enjoyed this thread! You are a unique thinker and if you're not making a living writing, you need to. After discovering this little gem, I thumbed through some of your other threads...you're style makes me smile! You put me in mind of Dave Barry. Thank you for your musings!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

Thanks, nicest compliment I've had here. Appreciated.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Much deserved! Actually on topic, I recently had surgery on my left hand and had to use my middle finger in place of my index finger and just as you said, after about a week I automatically did this rather than start with the bad finger then switch to the middle finger. That is what drew my attention to your thread originally, although I didn't realize at first it was so old and certainly didn't expect a response.

I hope to find additional unique threads from you in the future!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Try this, put one hand in a bowl of cold water, and the other in a bowl of hot water - one hand feels hot and the other feels cold!

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Trying this for a while. This is my first attempt at writing.

Interestingly, I am using my pinky more already, as if I'm trying to keep my thumb as far away from other fingers as possible.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

So opposable thumbs is not a necessity for tool handling... Thanks for confirming my suspicion!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: the45

I'm not sure but you may be the first person on the thread to say they've purposely tried it, at least for awhile. If you can keep it up for a few days you will experience quite the brain change - please let the thread (and me) know how things are going. Thanks.

edit on 10-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

So opposable thumbs is not a necessity for tool handling... Thanks for confirming my suspicion!

You're welcome, and nope, not at all. An old wives (or anthropologists) tale. To paraphrase a great thinker, we don't need no stinkin' thumbs for tool handling.

The reason I did this in the first place, aside from not ever doing it before, was for guitar practice (as I said earlier in the thread/year, if you read or see someone advocating this as a guitar practice technique, you read it here first). And even as I was just starting out doing it I knew it would help with connecting the synopses and other brain connections for the remaining fingers.
edit on 10-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join