It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food prices to rise ( double)within months!!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XalienagendaX
The fearmongering never stops...this is bullsnip. If you search ATS, you will find dozens of threads spanning the past six years with predictions of doubling food prices supposedly to happen "in the coming months". HAS it happened? NO. Will it happen? NO.

I swear to god if someone tells me to "do my research", I'll flip the hell out. I've done my research. Time for you to be real, and do yours...by looking at all of the FAILED food price increase predictions...then come at me.

Stop with this fearmongering BS already.
edit on 12-2-2013 by XalienagendaX because: (no reason given)

I take it you dont buy food for the family???

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I can only think about the future health problems people will have as a result of cutting back on nutritious food due to higher prices.

Alpo anybody?

The plague followed economic collapse in Europe.

Natures supply and control mechanism.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by skorpius
Time to take 2 or 3 hundred dollars to Sam's Club and buy balk of rice, beans and canned foods. Time to stalk up to 6 months to a year's supply. Until, I can get a garden going for the Spring/summer. I just need to make sure to get the reproducing seeds.

I just went there, but you really have to know the prices of what you are buying, if not you will be paying them (membership fee) to sell you something at a higher price than elsewhere.

I won't go into a bunch of examples but I can usually buy 9 individual cans of Spam at Walgreen's for less than an 8-pack at Sam's. I can almost always get cheese for less at Kroger and HyVee. Unless you are buying #10 cans you really have to watch canned goods prices. It may be convenient to buy a 12-pack of soap or shampoo but Sam's doesn't even come close usually to what I get that stuff on sale for at CVS and Walgreen's. I have had CVS and Walgreen's actually pay me to take things like toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo etc. that were on sale by using a coupon.

I can't think of a place that "caveat emptor" applies better.

That said, I have a huge dog and you can't beat the huge bags of dog food (I can't feed him Spam all of the time) and the 14 pound boxes of "Milk Bone" dog treats.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I can't find coffee [Folgers Gourmet Supreme Dark] for less than $8.98 for a 32 oz can. Meat in our local store, IGA, has gone up so fast it seems they change prices daily. My garden is going to be a lot bigger. Canning jars will likely spike too, they did last year. Now would be the time to buy.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

The fearmongering never stops...this is bullsnip. If you search ATS, you will find dozens of threads spanning the past six years with predictions of doubling food prices supposedly to happen "in the coming months". HAS it happened? NO. Will it happen? NO.

I swear to god if someone tells me to "do my research", I'll flip the hell out. I've done my research. Time for you to be real, and do yours...by looking at all of the FAILED food price increase predictions...then come at me.

I take it you don't buy food for the family???

Yeah, that's pretty obvious.

I think part of the confusion here is the government saying there is little or no inflation, some people obviously believe it without even thinking about it. I buy the groceries and am keenly aware of the prices and what has gone up the most. Some things have gone up very little or not at all, but it is stupid and deceptive to only count those things and it is even more stupid to believe the results of that type of counting.

The price of gasoline has doubled in the last four years, not including that in inflation numbers does not negate that 100%+ increase. I have had business supplies that I need go up 40-60% almost overnight and the only way to reduce that is by buying inferior materials that require more labor.

If they don't count the things that are going up "it didn't happen", seriously?

HAS it happened? NO. Will it happen? NO.

What does that mean? I guess the answer to both questions is that it IS happening.

Don't "flip the hell out", just relax and enjoy your all expenses paid Superdome vacation XalienagendaX.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Well now you're just "fearmongering",

Meat in our local store, IGA, has gone up so fast it seems they change prices daily.

They said beef prices would skyrocket as a result of ranchers selling so many head of cattle when they couldn't continue to feed them as a result of the drought. That kept the prices artificially low until now due to the glut in the market, but now it is tipping into a shortage in the market and the prices will follow.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by XalienagendaX

www.ers.usda.gov...

Despite the severe drought in the Midwest, retail food prices were mostly flat in 2012. The food-at-home Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased a total of 0.5 percent from January to December 2012. Prices rose for beef and veal, poultry, fruit, and other foods in 2012; however, prices fell for pork, eggs, vegetables, and nonalcoholic beverages. For the remaining food categories, prices remained unchanged for the most part. The drought has affected prices for corn and soybeans as well as other field crops which should, in turn, drive up retail food prices. However, the transmission of commodity price changes into retail prices typically takes several months to occur, and most of the impact of the drought will be realized in 2013.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

My absolute favorite food is ribs, slooowly cooked on the grill, no matter what time of the year. My last trip to the grocery store changed my "anytime" ribs to "not so often" ribs.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012nwaiting

Here's what Americans should throw the B.S. flag. We are the bread basket of the world we feed multiple nations, if we can not feed ourselves then why are we giving food. Looks like I'll be starting that garden after all.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I live in the midwest and can confirm that the drought was(is) a pretty big deal. Our whole state was bone dry for

months during last years growing season. Our grocery prices are sharply increasing with all food products being

affected by higher prices. I imagine, just like gasoline prices, the market won't correct this after food supplies rise,

They'll just get profit windfalls and run all the way to the bank.

My garden will be twice as large as last years, and we will be doing a rain dance.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012nwaiting

I don't believe NBC reported that. Let's have the link. It's not findable on the Internet. I do believe it can happen, no way NBC shills will come out with this.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There is no link or source in your thread OP

Regardless though I'll say this as I have in the past:
We have more than enough food on this planet, we do now and we will in 10 years time, the problem is the system and personal preference. Do you know how much wasted food is thrown out by supermarkets?
Quite a lot and that food that's wasted was also selected from farms... the food that was not worthy of being selected is usually wasted or used for cattle food or biofuel etc. See already lots of waste and that is not even touching what people throw away in their own homes because they are wastefully buying.

Maybe price rises will be a good thing and stop all this waste but that will only work on a consumer level and not where it really counts.

So to solve the problem of spending fortunes on food we can do one (or more) of several things:

1. Stop being wasteful with what you buy
2. Grow your own foods and raise your own cattle
3. Become a hunter/gatherer (unbelievable amounts of food in the wild)
4.Demand changes to our governments on how our food is supplied and controlled

To be honest 2 and 3 are good things to do regardless as they bring you in touch with nature and time, but other than that we all need to follow step 4 because we as a race are highly wasteful, especially here in the West

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Beef soup bones are now $14.00 a 10lb box in my area. Soup bones...not meat. All my local butchers have none for regular customers. They said the high end restaurants are buying them all for the $20. a plate marrow appetizers that are the big fad now. I've even called some local cattle ranchers in my area to try and find beef shank bones...nope...all sold out to out of state orders from meat packing houses.

Des

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

And it makes you think about countries like China who, less than 60 years ago, were 80-90% agricultural.

It's just a fact, that we're going to have to forego our pretty little grassy lawns, and rose bushes, our prim and proper hedges, for some real, hardy sustenance.

Beans.
Corn.
Wheat.
Fruits.
Potatoes.
Vegetables of any kind.

I'm willing to bet within the next 40 years, rather than having nice 1950's style yards, we're going to have some serious food growing on our properties.

I would look forward to it.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

What you say is true. Unfortunately almost every single home owners association has by-laws stipulating you can't grow crops on your own property. I've already heard of several cases where the home owners were court ordered to remove vegetable gardens when sued by the home owner's associations.

Hope this makes someone think twice about buying a home, and land, in a community ruled by a collective group of people who only want every home to look the same.

I moved to a rural farming area so I could plant what I wanted. Food to can and eat. Planting and caring for a garden is Mother Nature's prozac. If more people got their hands in the dirt, planted and harvested some of their own food...there would be a lot less people on prescription meds. JMOHO.....

Des

edit on 13-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I also plan to split a cow with my sister. When we do that we have enough meat for a year, for our two Families. Between that and hunting/gardening/fishing. I think it will be OK for my Clan. I might even get a few chickens for eggs and chicken legs lol.

I am glad the older people in my Family showed me how to clean fish/ Chicken. It saddens me they are gone but I never knew how much they were teaching me until recently. Hell, I am going to make me some home made wine and jelly as well lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
In Georgia we are still fighting local ordinances for basic foods rights.
Luckily we are zoned ok. We produce 15-50% of our food depending on the season on 1 acre of hilly, kinda shady land. I have 2 deer and 3 chickens in my freezer we processed for ourselves. I do alot with coupons
but 50.00 a week is all we can afford. We really rarely eat out.

Some days I think all I do is cook. I do not know how families with 2 working spouses do it.
I work a bit here and there and wen I do we are more likely to want to eat out. I give into the kids because I am so tired and hurried.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Originally posted by nomnom
I went to Kroger a few days ago and the lowest price steak was $8.99 a lb. I saw it going up over $28 a lb for some cuts. That seems at least 50% higher than I recall maybe 60 days ago.

Something wicked this way comes.

It looks like ranchers aren`t going to be selling many cows this year, not when prices are that high.

Of course they will be, the high prices being exactly why. There's a rather fine balance between how many spring calves you keep for your seedstock herd (to reproduce), sell (particularly with a heifer), and ship to the processing plant (typically your steers). Monitoring gene pool also plays a large role in your sell/process rates, specifically if you want to keep control over a successful genetic line and not pass it along to other businesses for a price that isn't fit.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So what rock have you been under? I sure as hell noticed a large increase in food prices over the last couple years (but I count that as inflation the government is trying to hide) but yes - I will have to tell you -DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Have you talked to farmers, have to looked at the prices of feed? Crop yields the last few years? The continued drought? Likely haven't done any of that. But who cares, there is still food at your supermarket, right? Don't come a crying, looking for food when the shelves are empty. Those who are taking note of the warning signs will just shoot first and ask questions later.

Thanks for playing.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It's a good time to go on a diet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join