It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Council: 6917th meeting North Korea Highly Provocative Nuclear Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The discussion over DPRK’s nuclear proliferation has concluded its initial assessment and have moved towards passing a new resolution further condemning the recent tests.

Here is live link of the discussion over the resolution: LINK

The initial sentiments have been condemn this and condemn that from all related parties, seems like the same old UN ramblings.

Have a look at the live stream to monitor the status of the resolution will update when possible.

Here is the last resolution passed (Resolution 2087 2013) LINK which was enacted after North Korea's high altitude rocket test.

Here is excerpt

Recognizing the freedom of all States to explore and use outer space in
accordance with international law, including restrictions imposed by relevant
Security Council resolutions,
1. Condemns the DPRK’s launch of 12 December 2012, which used ballistic
missile technology and was in violation of resolutions 1718 (2006) and 1874 (2009);
2. Demands that the DPRK not proceed with any further launches using
ballistic missile technology, and comply with resolutions 1718 (2006) and 1874
(2009) by suspending all activities related to its ballistic missile program and in this
context re-establish its pre-existing commitments to a moratorium on missile
launches;
3. Demands that the DPRK immediately comply fully with its obligations
under resolutions 1718 (2006) and 1874 (2009), including that it: abandon all
nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programs in a complete, verifiable and
irreversible manner; immediately cease all related activities; and not conduct any
further launches that use ballistic missile technology, nuclear test or any further
provocation;
4. Reaffirms its current sanctions measures contained in resolutions 1718
(2006) and 1874 (2009);
5. Recalls the measures imposed by paragraph 8 of resolution 1718 (2006),
as modified by resolution 1874 (2009), and determines that:
(a) The measures specified in paragraph 8 (d) of resolution 1718 (2006) shall
apply to the individuals and entities listed in Annex I and II, and the measures

There is alot of "Condemns" and "Demands" in this resolution, but the DPRK seems hellbent to continue on with this blatent opposition to the global community, including some of its closest partners.

edit on 12-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It’s interesting, the preamble for this meeting using Human rights and Humanitarian goals in dealing with North Koreas Nuclear Proliferation, I am hearing a lot of:

“We must protect women against Violence”
“Civilians must be protected”
“Human Rights”

It seems they are justifying their aims to stifle the DPRK’s nuclear program in the name of human rights?!

edit on 12-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So basically.....

"We, the UN say the following:

1. You've been a bad bad man there Mr Un! We're MAD!

2. Give up all your toys now, we're putting you in a forced time-out! ...and you better do it too!

3. STOP THIS! or..We'll say stop again but much louder the next time and may even mean it then!

4. If you don't stop your nuclear development, we'll pout in a corner and swear you won't get more aid for at least 6 months! "

And that, I believe, pretty well sums up all we'll see or have EVER seen out of the mighty security council on REAL threats which are capable of fighting and hurting the international force sent to spank them. Unlike, say, African nations or Serbia that really couldn't do much, so got stomped when the UN and NATO finally decided they grew tired of the bad headlines.

The Ill family has another target to paste on their family dart board.
Will the UN EVER find the balls to do more than babble endlessly? I kinda doubt it...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Maybe they'll introduce him to "democracy"..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You mirror my sentiments. It seems to be the same old rhetoric.

However, I have notice a change to stronger language. Again, this doesn’t mean much, but if you look at the previous resolution i linked, it already outlines demands and penalties if North Korea continued. I await any discussion on the response to this.

Thanks for your input

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This will do nothing! They will not stop until stopped because they have an hellbent arsehole mentality and have gotten away with it for so so long and China is partially responsible for that!

They need to be told to stop or all their Nuke and supporting infrastructures will be levelled!! As will all military hardware including ships etc!

F..king idiots who starve, persecute and punish their own people for not crying for these arseholes!!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, in total seriousness to this and the issue of past statements and ultimatums? I think the UN had BETTER get serious or drop the act and show of being more than a weak debating society. The false sense of authority is more damaging than having nothing for nations to look to as "they'll take care of it".

Myanmar has a nuclear program by all accounts (That nation Obama and Hillary are suddenly making nice nice with for ..no apparent reason I'd seen to follow??). Saudi Arabia has flat said they WILL crash program their own nuclear weapons at the first confirmation of Iran having something worth defending against. (Some of us believe they'll only be making public what they already have, btw)

So...if North Korea is allowed to gleefully flaunt the resolutions with a laugh and a nod at the futility of it all, then we best just accept nukes are going to expand and include far more nations and smaller, less stable ones in the very near future. We'll have a nuclear war....NO question as smaller nations pick up weapons they just HAVE to use at some point. Man never disappoints, does he?

All depends on the UN and whether it's a building of Mice or Men. So far, there is a lot of squeaking coming from that monstrosity in New York. Not many Men to be found...but a whole lot of pissed off squeaking.

edit on 12-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RP2SticksOfDynamite

This will do nothing! They will not stop until stopped because they have an hellbent arsehole mentality and have gotten away with it for so so long and China is partially responsible for that!

They need to be told to stop or all their Nuke and supporting infrastructures will be levelled!! As will all military hardware including ships etc!

F..king idiots who starve, persecute and punish their own people for not crying for these arseholes!!

The UN must also consider the wishes of other permanent members of security council, specifically Russia and China and I think it will be these countries that will have any effect on North Korea, opposed to the continuous condemnation of western nations.

The ramifications of proposing direct retaliation as a consequences is serious business and the UN is not likely to do that, even more so due to the fact of the divided nature over the issue of North Korea.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

So...if North Korea is allowed to gleefully flaunt the resolutions with a laugh and a nod at the futility of it all, then we best just accept nukes are going to expand and include far more nations and smaller, less stable ones in the very near future. We'll have a nuclear war....NO question as smaller nations pick up weapons they just HAVE to use at some point. Man never disappoints, does he?

I think North Korea has already created a precedent for defying UN resolutions and I think your conclusions are probable.

Ever nation will develop nuclear programs without fear of persecution.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Pollies and mice!!
Sec council needs to be furnished with people who dont suffer fools gladly who are both practical and no non-sense animals!! That dont mean they are warmongers!

NK will have to be confronted sooner or later and the world knows it, as will iran. best do it now, easier!!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

No firm action that impacts NK will only result in a bigger problem later!

No action = SC neutralised

NK laughing!!!

Time we made them cry for real before we aall end up crying I told you so!!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

This is the interesting part...

4. Reaffirms its current sanctions measures contained in resolutions 1718
(2006) and 1874 (2009);
5. Recalls the measures imposed by paragraph 8 of resolution 1718 (2006),
as modified by resolution 1874 (2009), and determines that:
(a) The measures specified in paragraph 8 (d) of resolution 1718 (2006) shall
apply to the individuals and entities listed in Annex I and II.

Paragraph 8(d) of resolution 1718.

Which is ...

(d) all Member States shall, in accordance with their respective legal processes, freeze immediately the funds, other financial assets and economic resources which are on their territories at the date of the adoption of this resolution or at any time thereafter, that are owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by the persons or entities designated by the Committee or by the Security Council as being engaged in or providing support for, including through other illicit means, DPRK’s nuclear-related, other weapons of mass destruction-related and ballistic missile-related programmes, or by persons or entities acting on their behalf or at their direction, and ensure that any funds, financial assets or economic resources are prevented from being made available by their nationals or by any persons or entities within their territories, to or for the benefit of such persons or entities;

C...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Cosmic4life because: Added paragraph 8 (d)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
if anyone thinks this young leader has as much power as everyone thinks he has, i would look to the men actually behind the scenes, that have been there for a long time. the generals and political advisors have alot of influence over this young man, as he was born in 1983-1984. wisdom is gained by "riding in the saddle" for a long time, not by declaration.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
**UPDATE**

US representative:

"Preventing civilian mass atrocities is a core principle of US National Security"

Irony?

It almost seems North Koreas Nuclear proliferation is taking a back seat to Civilian atrocities and the Syrian conflict..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If the problem of nukes with NK & Iran is dealt with now then we may be able to avoid WW3, maybe not but I think its more likely that if we have to deal with it later then WW3 for sure. And the only good thing that will come out of WW3 is the world population will end up being reduced to 3 billion! Or maybe thats the plan. Who knows!!

I think that a spanked NK & Iran will result in better relations with China and Russia! Although I dont think they are our enemies! Its the Arab nations and NK that are.

edit on 12-2-2013 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

top topics

join