It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Russian Air Force Paint Schemes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Was poking around the Sukhoi and Knaapo sites to see what was happening with Russia acquiring their new aircraft and found these:

Su-34

Su-35BM

Not really a huge news hit or anything, but figured I would put these up as they appear to be the paint schemes that will be applied to delivered aircraft acquired by the Russian Air Force. Still no news on PAK-FA's official paint scheme for service use, but if these are any indication as to what happens to the amazing prototype paint jobs, then I'll take the ones they have on right now, thank you very much.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Makes sense. Blue paint on the belly, makes them look like the sky, from the ground. Greeny grey on top, makes them look like ground from above.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The Su-34 picture has a look of WWII Luftwaffe paint jobs to my eye.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It's nothing new really. Here's the explanation:

- SU 34 has a daytime camo paint job for daytime operations;
- SU 35BM has a nightime camo paint job for nightime operations.

It is a practice used by the airforces since ww2. Though the new aircraft tech makes this practice rather obsolete. For example the US uses a shade of grey for both daytime and nightime operations, it blends in perfectly with the scenery. Plus some composite materials these days are impossible to paint. Painting them in anything else then radar absorbing paint would make them targets, so SU 34 is constructed on old technology
there is a lot in one picture

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What's with the long A$$ probe sticking out the su 34s rear end ? Oooh and the su 34 is such a beautiful aircraft
edit on 14-2-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

After correcting my earlier mistake that went unnoticed I googled the su34 and my god it's taken top spot in my list of favourite aircraft. And the NATO name for it 'Fullback' sounds pretty awesome
edit on 14-2-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added more text

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
What's with the long A$$ probe sticking out the su 34s rear end ?

To my knowledge, it is a rear-facing radar unit. Probably for RWR or tracking.

top topics

join