It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods From God Space Weapon

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

allenidaho
reply to post by springtime

It would be the same as launching 8 to 16 Tomahawk missiles at the same time. All conventional and not consider a WMD.

Also the benefit of a space based weapon is that it reduces response time. With an intercontinental ballistic missile, you get a warning as soon as the missile is launched into space. And you have time to start countermeasures as the missile separates in it's second stage and begins the downward descent.

With a space based weapon, the time of detection is dramatically reduced. You will only be able to detect an incoming threat after it's already headed right for it's target on the downward descent.

The only countermeasure would be to track the weapon platform and take it out with a missile. But that is something that would only be done AFTER it is actually used in order to maintain international relations.
edit on 4-5-2013 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

I don't know if I can expect a reply to this late post.

About detection. How long would it take a space based weapon in free fall to reach its target? And another note about detection or early warning, I would imagine that the satellite upon which the weapon system is based would have to be moved into position in order to deploy. Wouldn't the change in orbit be easily detectable?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That depends on how fast they are shot. If its an electronic rail gun, it will be very fast

originally posted by: Tearman

allenidaho
reply to post by springtime

It would be the same as launching 8 to 16 Tomahawk missiles at the same time. All conventional and not consider a WMD.

Also the benefit of a space based weapon is that it reduces response time. With an intercontinental ballistic missile, you get a warning as soon as the missile is launched into space. And you have time to start countermeasures as the missile separates in it's second stage and begins the downward descent.

With a space based weapon, the time of detection is dramatically reduced. You will only be able to detect an incoming threat after it's already headed right for it's target on the downward descent.

The only countermeasure would be to track the weapon platform and take it out with a missile. But that is something that would only be done AFTER it is actually used in order to maintain international relations.

I don't know if I can expect a reply to this late post.

About detection. How long would it take a space based weapon in free fall to reach its target? And another note about detection or early warning, I would imagine that the satellite upon which the weapon system is based would have to be moved into position in order to deploy. Wouldn't the change in orbit be easily detectable?

<< 1  2   >>

join