It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a squid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here is an article from the Daily Mail from 2010.

Jet-propelled calamari: Rare photos of squid species that can leap through the air to dodge predators

Graham Ekins, 60, a retired deputy head teacher from Boreham, Essex, took the shots in the waters south of Japan.

'There was a group of about 20 flying squid and they sensed danger from the bow wave of the boat and their defence mechanism is to leap out of the water.'

He added: 'However, there is a bird called the red-footed booby - which is like a gannet - that waits for them to leap from the water and then picks them off in the air.

'They have a lot of predators and are an important source of food in Japan. They are prolific reproduces and only live for about a year.

edit on 9/2/2013 by SilentE because: added pic

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
S&F for the info and the thread. I was surprised at the small size of them in the video. Somehow I pictured them as being a foot long at least. And how interesting is it that they fly backwards too. Are they the only marine species to do that?

I had a quick look about and couldn't find any other marine species apart from squid that can fly backwards.
The way the squid draws in the water and then squirts it out in a high pressure to launch would probably make it the only marine species that can do it.
I'm no expert though. There may be some that try but I doubt they could pull it off as gracefully.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This reminds me of the megasquid from The Future is Wild:

Can't forget our noodly overlords the Squibbon:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I like it. I wonder if it would make a good plane or rocket design? Time to get out the tools and build one.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

For as long as I can remember it has been my belief that a day is never wasted if you learn something new.Thank you for saving my day.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Maybe Fuk U Shima mutated them?
RUNNN the mutant squids are here to take over the world!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Give it a few hundred thousand years and we'll be keeping them as pets in cages!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

"Personal Disclosure: I love to be continually astounded by the profound wonders mother nature has in store for us to observe in the wild"

until one of profound wonders eats you ^^

pretty cool stuff,

but, how do they taste? ^^

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by OmegaLogos

"Personal Disclosure: I love to be continually astounded by the profound wonders mother nature has in store for us to observe in the wild"

until one of profound wonders eats you ^^

pretty cool stuff,

but, how do they taste? ^^

I did write out a tongue in cheek comment but I thought i'd just add this instead
:

Properly cooked, squid has a mild flavor, similar to shellfish. If it is overcooked it becomes rubbery, but then so do scallops, lobster, shrimp and even chicken. Squid does not need to be cooked very long.

I do not recommend cooking them on a bbq though, they'll fly off.
(sorry about that joke...I feel ashamed :lol

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Whoa, that is just cool.
I love learning new things.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

then you dunk it into your drink and have yourself the freshest sushi ever

edit on 11-2-2013 by reject because: s&f

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Very cool, nice find! S+F

Def beats all the doom pron in most of the other threads.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join