It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea, US begin drills amid North Korea nuclear threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

South Korea, US begin drills amid North Korea nuclear threat

www.hindust antimes.com

South Korean and US troops began naval drills on Monday in a show of force partly directed at North Korea amid signs that Pyongyang will soon carry out a threat to conduct its third atomic test. The region is also seeing a boost in diplomatic activity focused on North Korea's announcement last month that it will conduct a nuclear test to protest international sanctions toughened over Pyongyang's long-range rocket launch in December.

Pyongyang's two previous nuclear tests, in 2006 and 2009, both occurred after it was slapped with increased sanctions for similar rocket launches. The US,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, it's that time again folks. I don't know about you but I always look forward to anything North Korean. Not only because of its James Bond type elusiveness / doctor evil type experiments, but because it's such a laugh! Usually things end in a bad way, or in a spectacular fail. It makes good viewing!

But here we go again, looks like they are going to press the button on a third attempt of a big bang. This just after their rocket show and threats to the US is not a good thing. Seems they are really serious about pissing someone off. All this gesturing makes me feel it's all gonna end badly for our little North Korean friends. Old Mr Un should start a subscription to "we have bigger boom boom than you" monthly. At least then he might see that he can't even think of winning a dick length contest when it comes to missiles.

I have put a link to the source but it is interesting to know that when I flicked over the channels this morning, ABC news broadcasts this as Imminent?........Let’s hope for their sake nothing goes wrong.

I won't be laughing this time.

www.hindust antimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I wouldn't take it so lightly. The first two weren't just attempts they were successful. I actually thought this would be their fourth nuke (as I remembered them calling the last test their third), but every news station seems to agree.

It's actually pretty serious. They are making working nukes, sure their rockets may not be capable of delivering a warhead, but as it stands they would be capable of dropping one out of a plane, or smuggling it in somewhere. Not to mention they could sell a nuke to any terrorist org they wanted to, Then there is the fact they are working with Iran (several NK workers were killed the other day in the Iranian nuke facility blast) so they may have help in turning their bombs into smaller warheads. Then it's just a matter of getting rockets from China or Iran. Then they wont have to worry about if their rockets work.

Also I often wonder if the western world isn't lying about their rocket capabilities. For example, how we recently knocked their launch only to find out they successfully put a satellite in orbit. Sure everyone laughed and said "oh it's unstable" but was it really? I personally just have a hard time believing they are so good at making nuclear bombs, but so bad at making rockets.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
'Nuclear threat' is not a threat in my honest opinion.

Because once you go nuclear,you are dead anyway and there is no going back.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Ok, I get you. To be honest I understand and know a fair bit about NK and take a keen interest in anything NK. it's just that it alway seems to raise a smile when you see them doing anything.

I get the whole "behind the scenes" thing I do, and to be honest "secretly" I take it all very seriously.

Sooner or later, sorry, just sooner something is going to happen.

I saw the news too about the explosion and 40 NK dead. Very interesting indeed. Confirmed?

Di you see Irans latest Aircraft......................

Dear oh dear. I have seen a lot of aircraft in my time, this ones a corker!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Di you see Irans latest Aircraft......................

Dear oh dear. I have seen a lot of aircraft in my time, this ones a corker!

It's also not the actual aircraft. It's a mock up.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The North Korean leaders are power tripping and they are going to get their brainwashed people killed. The sad part is, like I said, those people would only fight because they are brainwashed.

We can not just let NK have nukes with long range capability. Sh*t they shouldn't even have nukes. We should fight an air war with them. No boots on the ground. We can take out their SAMS more than one way without having any ground units.

Just wipe out their air force, bomb their facilities, and refuse to leave their skies until all of our demands have been met. I do not trust them, and our air force could use the practice. EMP/SOF can handle any ground work that would be necessary after a few bombing runs. There would probably be a few key things we would need to steal to make sure their progress is set back a bit.

Seriously, we can't afford to let them get long range nuclear capability - they are insane!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Also bear in mind the media (of a variety of outlets) know they need to fan the flames to keep the topic hot and their viewers engaged.

When I was stationed in Korea, all we did practice drills, field maneuvers, co-ops with the ROK Army, we lived in the field more than being back at base. Our only day off was Sunday and that was if you weren't in the field.

I was with a field artillery unit (1/15th), I didn't fire the guns but we would hear of an occasional round getting 'lost' and ending up near some general's bunker in the North during a detail along the DMZ... you'd hear small arms fire during the night coming from the north. Crazy place.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wont someone please think of the civilians?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

why my family lives there

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Wont someone please think of the civilians?

NK with long range nuclear capability could cause a lot of civilian casualties no?

eta: not to mention there are good people in SK that don't want to deal with a nuclear NK.
edit on 4-2-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

The North Korean leaders are power tripping and they are going to get their brainwashed people killed. The sad part is, like I said, those people would only fight because they are brainwashed.

We can not just let NK have nukes with long range capability. Sh*t they shouldn't even have nukes. We should fight an air war with them. No boots on the ground. We can take out their SAMS more than one way without having any ground units.

Just wipe out their air force, bomb their facilities, and refuse to leave their skies until all of our demands have been met. I do not trust them, and our air force could use the practice. EMP/SOF can handle any ground work that would be necessary after a few bombing runs. There would probably be a few key things we would need to steal to make sure their progress is set back a bit.

Seriously, we can't afford to let them get long range nuclear capability - they are insane!

But, Chap, you forget the mighty neighbour next door and he ain't no Homer Simpson. He's a country that America wouldn't even think of invading. He's a country that America wouldn't even think of pushing it's Western-democracy claptrap to, like it does with African and Middle-Eastern countries. He's the country that America is powerless to stop if that country wants to back up gold with their own currency (we've all seen what happens to countries who no longer want the dollar to be the reserve currency and back up their gold with - i.e. Libya, Iraq etc).

That country is... China. Why on Earth do you think the US hasn't invaded North Korea all of this time - this isn't no Vietnam where America invaded simply because they didn't want the Communists to take over. This is North Korea - an actual credible threat to the US - what more justification to invade!

No, the reason why the US has not simply gone in, all guns blazing, 'Murican style is because of the Chinaman. The Chinaman is the new big dog of the game. And even the US has not escaped their rise.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This has to end! It's getting tiresome, threats, tests, show's of force & then ultimately sanctions! The sansctions are only hurting the general population while those nutballs in power are living in luxury.

Something should have been done about it long before now & it's gonna be a lot lot harder to take appropriate measures once they finally 'perfect' their nuclear capabilities.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Don't get it twisted. China doesn't want it with the US either. That is suicide. They would have to resort to nukes in the end. Our air power is simply too strong. We are not willing to take the casualties a war with China would require. The sad thing is, they likely do not share that sentiment.

Do you realize how much China oppresses their people? I would wager many of them would rebel against their oppressive government if war broke out.

The problem is in the end there would be a ton of casualties and possibly nukes.

My question is WHY do these people feel the need to oppress their own people? I just don't get it. It is medieval.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

In my not-so-educated estimation, I would say their threats MAY be credible, and they may even be stupid/crazy enough to nuke SK. If they do, it will absolutely mean the end of North Korea. The US could lose 20,000 troops at the start of hostilities, and I do not believe for a moment we would conduct surgical strikes, or go with a ground invasion. If a nuke landed, or was shot toward the US (even if it dropped in the ocean or was shot down by an Aegis cruiser, I believe, whether through a massive drop of conventional bombs, or through nuclear counterstrike, there would be very few souls remaining in North Korea within 3 days.

I really hope they're not foolish enough to essentially suicide their entire country, but they just might be. If they are, millions of innocent people will die - they may be thoroughly brainwashed enough to side with North Korea, but I think most of the people there who seem to be pro-NK would change their tune the moment they felt safe in doing so. Especially when they suddenly had access to such luxuries as food, adequate shelter, etc. It would be a sad day, indeed, with tens of thousands of US and SK troops killed, possibly hundreds of thousands of SK citizens killed, and possibly millions of NK subjects.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kadein14

Your family lives in the North? or to the south of the dmz?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I wouldn't take it so lightly. The first two weren't just attempts they were successful. I actually thought this would be their fourth nuke

I believe this is the third nuclear test (detonation), but the fourth or fifth related to nuclear technology.

There were even rumors a couple of months ago that stated North Korea supplied Iran with a software for nuclear simulations - used for both civilian and military purposes - that is banned under international law.

They are making working nukes, sure their rockets may not be capable of delivering a warhead, but as it stands they would be capable of dropping one out of a plane, or smuggling it in somewhere.

I believe it's worst than that.

Apparently, from what you can read on the news, North Korea has problems related to the size of their warhead, which could make it too heavy for transport in a ICB missile. But, the reduction of size could be achieved with some research or "help", and there is exactly the problem you mention (that there are other means of transportation).

Not to mention they could sell a nuke to any terrorist org they wanted to, Then there is the fact they are working with Iran (several NK workers were killed the other day in the Iranian nuke facility blast) so they may have help in turning their bombs into smaller warheads.

I don't believe they would do something as stupid as to sell a nuke. Although I don't have a lot of faith in international nuke control, I believe that would ring a lot of alarms around China, Russia and especially in the West.

But I do agree it's quite possible they are using what they have learned to aid other countries, or by making business transactions with them in exchange for things North Korea CAN export and produce (nuclear technology).

I think this connects to another problem: the never ending sanctions. Countries like Iran and North Korea are so bombarded with economical warfare, that their only logical solution is to resort to markets so underground they aren't even legislated/enforced. Like, for instance, secret nuclear technology.

We (west) are in such a rush to limit their power, that I think we are taking the risk of overlooking other paths they might follow. If these countries get into severe isolation, they will aid each-other, like an outcast membership.

Then it's just a matter of getting rockets from China or Iran. Then they wont have to worry about if their rockets work.

I agree, and I think it's even worst than that.

Related to my previous point, I think there are a bunch of countries out there who have just started to realize that the West (Europe + America) isn't all that powerful and depends a lot on foreign economies being bad (cheap industry, for instance). If countries like India, Pakistan and others, decide that they can be stronger than the West, and if they believe they can impose their own international rules, we are heading towards very complicated times.

It's quite a childish example, but it would be the diplomatic situation of a country like India (example) turning it's back to the West, selling and aiding other countries achieving stronger military power, and they will just turn the West and say "watcha' gonna do? Nuke us? We also have nukes, and so do they...".

The "I have a bigger stick than you, obey me" only works as long as you really have a bigger stick. Which seems to be turning around. Slowly, but it is.

Also I often wonder if the western world isn't lying about their rocket capabilities. For example, how we recently knocked their launch only to find out they successfully put a satellite in orbit. Sure everyone laughed and said "oh it's unstable" but was it really? I personally just have a hard time believing they are so good at making nuclear bombs, but so bad at making rockets.

I think people often ridicule North Korea because they are too afraid to face the possible reality of North Korean being a real, unstable and unpredictable nuclear threat.

Let's not forget that the test you mention was failed, but just a couple of months later, they made a successful launch, and if their only problem now is the satellite keeping an orbit.....that's a minor issue. Even minor if they only have to learn how to make it fall where they want it...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

This video apparently shows an attack against the US:

news.sky.com...

I cant get the video in here but its supposedly some video from NK!

Some of the story:

North Korea's sabre rattling over its nuclear programme has taken a bizarre new turn with a video appearing to show an attack on the US.

There are reports the reclusive nation is planning to carry out a third nuclear test "imminently".

But as the world waits, video has emerged which appears to show a young North Korean man dreaming about an attack on America.

The video was released via a propaganda website linked to the North Korean state news agency.

It shows a man dreaming of being on a space shuttle - set against a backing track of Michael Jackson's We Are The World.

edit on 5-2-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

top topics

join