It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avian Segway: Loud Bird Gets a Sweet Ride to Keep it Quiet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Didn't see this in search. So awesome! This engineer built his African Grey parrot a beak-operated birdie Segway to keep it entertained and QUIET. I grew up with the same kind of bird, and let me tell you, they are LOUD! Very nice unit as well. It has a camera, infrared sensors, and automatically docks itself when the bird is removed. Our grey would have LOVED this once she got over being terrified of it. LOL There is a cool vid in the article. I could see some market for this, but not enough to make it a viable product. Very cool though. Smart guy!

African Grey parrots are super-smart, lovely, and great companions – and they’re also big squawking pains in the butt. Andrew Gray, an engineering student at the University of Florida, was annoyed with his parrot Pepper’s incessant screeching. At first he tried squirting Pepper with a stream of water, but the bird actually started liking the water and began screaming just to get sprayed. After that fail, Andrew had to work a bit harder to solve his feathered problem. He decided to build Pepper an interactive toy that would keep the bird’s mind and beak occupied. The BirdBuggy is Pepper’s new beak-driven scooter that allows him to be in the same room with his humans, something that seems to keep him happy enough to shut up for a while.

Source:
gajitz.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That was a pretty funny story. It is amazing that the bird is able to drive the little contraption, as it seems to be doing a good job. I love animal stories like these. My grandma used to talk about this parrot that a neighbor had, and when she would walk home from school it would yell the most obscene things at her, which it learned from listening to its owners arguing...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Kudos! I think this could go to market and make the fellow more than a few dollars. I will be more than happy to handle taking the product to market.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Kudos! I think this could go to market and make the fellow more than a few dollars. I will be more than happy to handle taking the product to market.

Birdie buggy today, a handicapped individual's freedom tomorrow. I love this, great story and great potential. This guy will be going places! Maybe you could get some kind of a contract with him! Wouldn't hurt to try.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That was a cool story. I love how the magazines are in the bottom to catch the bird poop. Just rip off a page when it is soiled.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Glad y'all enjoyed it, I thought others would dig the article.
Gotta wonder what other things that guy will create.

top topics

join