It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractal cauliflower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Our organic supplier often throws in odd veg etc as a freebie, this week we received one of these!
It was labeled as a Romanesco cauliflower.
I've never seen or even heard of these before (I'm in the uk).

This has got to be the most amazing looking veg I've ever seen (unless you know of something better?) It was tasty too

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That is soooooo freaking cool to look at. How does it taste?

Des

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

That is soooooo freaking cool to look at. How does it taste?

Des

Hi Des. Yes its amazing, I kept getting it out of the box to have another look

It tastes much like an ordinary collie but its a little bit firmer, possibly a little sweeter too.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yum. I love broccoli and cauliflower. Broccoflower is even better. That romanesco variety does seem to be the sweetest.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipIntro

Broccoflower????

I hope thats not a monsanto monstrosity

Off to wikipedia to type in Broccoflower.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Don't look up purple carrots ! In fact it is human intervention that created and kept orange carrots.

Damn man and his evil sinister food shenanigans...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Don't look up purple carrots ! In fact it is human intervention that created and kept orange carrots.

Damn man and his evil sinister food shenanigans...

Hi Winofiend.
Well, its so odd that you should talk about purple carrots, we got some in the same box of veg as the collie above

It was only a few weeks back when we discovered that carrots are not meant to be orange.
Our supplier has realy opened our eyes concerning veg, potatos for instance should be small and nobbly, not large and filled with water. If you want a nice tato look out for ...think they're called Pink furry apple variety. They're so nice I could eat them on their own.
Regards VoidHawk

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

We get those sometimes in Oregon (U.S. West Coast) and they are so neat to look at. They are labeled as Broccoflower or sometimes not labeled at all. I got purple carrots this summer at the Farmer's Market, but that was the first time I had seen them.

Yummy!

edit on 31-1-2013 by PacificBlue because: add place

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well, you know the first steps of the evolution of tasty food:
kill it
batter it
fry it..

If you are serious: here:

Batter (tempura modified)

AP flour
Club soda/ carbonated water/Beer/
Few egg yolks
tbsp baking soda
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne
Cumin
Tumeric
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mix dry ingredients well and thenn> whisk in the wet ingredients until thin, yet bubbly/.
Coat your vieners/veggies/ vings/ in it
Fry at high heat
edit on 31-1-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

Disclaimer: If you mess up your wifes' fryer, I'm not responsible!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I found this at a farmers' market a few years ago. Best bowl of cauliflower curry outside of India.

Now I grow it. If you pm me, I'll send a few seeds to you. You just have to look out for the black mildewy stuff that grows on it, just like cauliflower. I use neem oil to keep it away. That stuff's like the Wonder Oil of the Northern Hemisphere. I bought my seeds from heirloomseeds.com if you want a whole packet of them!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I grew some a couple of years ago! It is super tasty and the neatest looking veggie out there. I need to take more photos of the gardens, because it looked especially impressive next to the broccoli after it had been harvested a few times! It was easy to grow and seems to be an interesting cross between cauliflower and broccoli, at least in flavor.

top topics

join