It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a planet behaves like a comet - Venus !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
James McCanney - "Venus the comet"

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

The fact is that Venus has a tail, like that of comets, which appears to favor the theory that Venus acts and perhaps looked like a comet, hence Velikovsky's theory.
The tail of Venus is not visible. Nor is that of Earth, yet it has one. Nor is that of the Moon, yet it has one.

Perhaps you could explain how Venus has an atmosphere 90 times denser than Earth's yet with no magnetic field to protect this atmosphere.
What does that have to do with it being a comet? In any case, Venus has enough mass to retain an atmosphere.

Can you explain its odd rotational behavior?
What does that have to do with it being a comet? In any case it, it is thought that Venus, like Uranus, suffered a collision early in the history of the Solar System which severely tilted its rotational axis.

ow about its global resurfacing without the help of tectonic plates?
What does that have to do with it being a comet? Does Io have tectonic plates? The "catastrophic" theory is that that somewhere between 300 million and 1 billion years ago there was a great deal of volcanic activity which lasted about 10 million years. That same volcanic activity would have released the CO2 which forms the planet's atmosphere. There are other ideas though, including the idea that the "resurfacing" was a much longer process.

There is so much we do not know about our closest neighbor yet what we do know seems to indicate that Venus recently went through a catastrophic event.
What indicates any thing in particular happened recently to Venus?

This evidence appears to favor Velikovsky's theory to a small degree. It is not proof nor evidence thereof.
I don't see how. Velikovsky's "theory" is a fairy tail.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Again, this proves nothing apart from the fact that the ancients found Venus awe-inspiring (like it truly is
The only thing “awe-inspiring” about Venus is that it becomes a bright object in the sky about every 18 months. Looking at it through a telescope reveals a very boring bright object. It is not until the understanding of the orbital motions of this planet associated with ancient myths that this becomes a very interesting subject in my opinion.

You simply cannot conclude that Venus had visually the same features as the deity, or exhibited the same activity.
You are correct. But I can entertain the unity of ancient myths of the planet Venus found around the world. There are many similar characteristics between the interactions of the god/goddess Venus from cultures that are unrelated to each other and, in some cases, separated by an ocean.

And stop saying that Venus has a tail like a comet. It doesn't.
I’m not the only one making this statement. Perhaps you should tell that to these other sources.

Using satellite data, an international team of researchers has found that Venus sports a giant, ion-packed tail that stretches almost far enough to tickle the Earth when the two planets are in line with the Sun.
Science : Planet's tail of the unexpected

An unmanned European spacecraft orbiting Venus has found the planet's ionosphere balloons out like a comet's tail on its night side
Comet-like tail seen flowing from Venus

ESA’s Venus Express has made unique observations of Venus during a period of reduced solar wind pressure, discovering that the planet’s ionosphere balloons out like a comet’s tail on its nightside.
When a Planet Behaves Like a Comet

The planet Venus sometimes looks less like a planet and more like a comet, scientists say.
Venus Can Have 'Comet-Like' Atmosphere

“In this sense”, scientists write, “Venus can be likened to a comet, which has an induced magnetotail of similar origin.”
Venus' Tail of the Unexpected

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The tail of Venus is not visible. Nor is that of Earth, yet it has one. Nor is that of the Moon, yet it has one.
This then makes these ancient myths of a plumed or feathered serpent, gods/goddesses associated with the planet Venus that interacted with Earth and other planets very odd. I think we could dismiss some of these myths as simply the product of an ignorant imagination yet the similarities of these myths from around the world with the claimed actions of the planet Venus cannot be ignored. I feel an argument can be made that something happened long ago that was witnessed by these people and these myths are the product of that observation, as strange as it may be.

What does that have to do with it being a comet? In any case, Venus has enough mass to retain an atmosphere.
These questions are simply to reflect our lack of knowledge of our closest neighbor and to show that Venus underwent a global catastrophe in its relatively recent past.
The Sun’s solar wind is constantly stripping Venus’ atmosphere so we can conclude that this has not been happening for 4.5 billion years. This very thick atmosphere is relatively new to the planet, or at least the loss of its magnetic field that would protect this atmosphere. If Venus’ atmosphere is being stripped as is apparent in our observations then we could rightfully conclude that this atmosphere, and comet like tail, could have been bigger in the past.

Does Io have tectonic plates?
This is like comparing apples to oranges unless you are suggesting Venus was shaped by Jupiter’s EM and gravitational field. We can blame Io’s new surface on Jupiter, what then caused the resurfacing of Venus.

The "catastrophic" theory is that that somewhere between 300 million and 1 billion years ago there was a great deal of volcanic activity which lasted about 10 million years.
This is one theory. Do you know how this theory came to be? What evidence do we have for this timeline?

There are other ideas though, including the idea that the "resurfacing" was a much longer process.
And there is a theory, as wild as it may seem, that this process was much shorter and much more recent. I know you don’t like this idea and I respect that yet in the spirit of this thread I felt it important to point it out.

What indicates any thing in particular happened recently to Venus?
I can see that you are just not interested in entertaining the ideas presented here. That’s fine, I enjoy your comments all the same as I respect your knowledge of astrophysics.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join