It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know what This New Law Is all About?????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
H.J.Res.13 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States waiving the application of the first article of amendment to the political speech of corporations and other business organizations with respect to the disbursement of funds in connection with public elections.

Display Version Introduced in House

Rollover any line of text to comment and/or link to it.

HJ 13 IH

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. J. RES. 13

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States waiving the application of the first article of amendment to the political speech of corporations and other business organizations with respect to the disbursement of funds in connection with public elections.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 4, 2013

Ms. KAPTUR introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States waiving the application of the first article of amendment to the political speech of corporations and other business organizations with respect to the disbursement of funds in connection with public elections.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

‘Article--

‘The first article of amendment does not apply to the political speech of any corporation, partnership, business trust, association, or other business organization with respect to the making of contributions, expenditures, or other disbursements of funds in connection with public elections.’.CommentsPermalink

The Link: www.opencongress.org...

Another Link on Companion Bill: www.opencongress.org...
edit on 27-1-2013 by thunder57 because: More Explaination

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they are trying to back door another attempt at muzzling Corporate ability to express pleasure or displeasure with the system by contribution to the political process.

Unless I'm misreading it all...it's a way to get around the Citizens United decision. I don't even MIND seeing it...as long as Unions are included in the muzzling for corrupting the system through mega-bucks.

Make that read any organization not created and dedicated by majority purpose TO the effort of political change or influence and I'm all for it. That would cover Corps but also cover all OTHER VERY VERY well funded organizations who have, by sheer size and power, come to control the system far beyond the numbers the represent among the population.

Fair is Fair and I can't support muzzling one side while leaving the other to rampage across the political landscape ..entirely unchecked at that point.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes, an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to kill Citizens United, one of the worse decisions the U.S. Supreme Court has ever made. I think most politicans realize that the only way the decision will go down the tube where it belongs is when another Supreme Court ruling overturns it. But they have to try, regardless, and it also gets the politicians on record either supporting or opposing Citizens United.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Well, I'm curious... You feel Citizens United would have formed good law, given the narrow and one sided focus it had toward removing the corrupting influence from our system?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
ya but if you go to the whole site you can see every new law that is either purposed or has passed, and some are pretty interesting, This one looks like they are really trying to clean up things a bit.
Mods, I know this might be posted in the wrong area but this is what came up so please move it if you see fit to where it needs to be.
edit on 27-1-2013 by thunder57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Interesting note though, Now that I have looked through all the new bills there is not even one mention of any new gun control bills there at all, with all this talk this seems kinda odd, don`t ya think?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by thunder57

If I might make a suggestion? I like Open Congress for background info and the like. Similar to some privately run budget sites and defense statistic sites. All valuable and important for reference....but there's nothing like the source itself.

Thomas (Library of Congress)

If it exists in Congress or has existed in the past? It should be in there with all the details...and very helpful summaries kept up to date pretty near daily. If you'd already been there looking for the other bills...my bad and perhaps it'll help someone else to have, too.

*Sorry.. It wouldn't let me link direct to the Bill summary. Just type in H.J.R. 13, with the periods in place for the search box and up it'll come. Everything else you might want to see should pop the same way by keyword if nothing else.

edit on 27-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
We have more than enough laws.
2nd line.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
yes, it's the democrats whining.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well to each their own opinion which are our rights under the constitution. I will not be one to stop this freedom, because this is an open debate.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That's what makes our system work...when the money isn't running it from all sides anyway.

I fight for my position (get Unions OUT of politics by all means and measures) and you'll fight for your position (get big business OUT of politics by all means and measures). When the system is actually functioning as perhaps it did years ago? It usually brings a solution no one is entirely happy with. Success in a Republic.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Just a few things:

***All of the Information below is from Open Congress.org***

This bill was introduced by Rep. Marcy Kaptur

Other areas that are related to this:
Political Advertising
1st Amendment Rights
Elections, Voting, and Political Campaign Regulations
Corporate Finance and Management
Constitution and Constitutional Amendments
Congressional Elections
Government Operations and Politics
***End of links***

It seems that the point behind this bill is to place some controls on corporate spending (or backing) political parties, or candidates. (I really doubt this will get to the floor for a vote)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well look at this bill would you: H.J.Res.15, It would allow a president to run for office as many times as he or she wishes to. It is listed on the same site as I refered to above. But the Link to the law is this: www.opencongress.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

Ya she has many different bills out there right now for consideration, are we even looking into who she is? Her bills sound justified.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It looks like an attempt to minimize Citizens United decision.
My preference would have been to propose an amendment limiting the exercise and applicability of enumerated rights contained in the Constitution (as amended) to human beings period. As far as lobbying goes, it should be banned from infusing cash and services for the benefit of lawmakers and restrict those activities to information and awareness programs (corporate campaign contributions and PACs simply not allowed).

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Good thinking, but then to fix the problem thinking is what it will take.

new topics

top topics

join