It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do all our senses work in our dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Probably depending on dream scenario since there are different kinds.

So far I know you can,
Taste
Smell
Touch
See(something very VIVID, much livelier then real life)

Not sure what else im forgeting, maybe something, was just thinking.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
hearing? My dreams tend to be very visual and aural.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by aerial
Probably depending on dream scenario since there are different kinds.

So far I know you can,
Taste
Smell
Touch
See(something very VIVID, much livelier then real life)

Not sure what else im forgeting, maybe something, was just thinking.

To me it depends. I cannot actually "experience" anything in my dreams that I have not already encountered. For instance, I have been "shot" in a dream but it just leaves a hole in me; no feelings whatsoever. This I believe is due to the fact the brain cannot interpret that feeling. It only recreates the visual in which I have seen elsewhere (may it be TV, games, or real-life).

Personally I cannot recall ever tasting or smelling in my dreams. Touch, sight and hearing are all there, but the other two, from my recollection, are absent.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
the most likely reason for the OP kind of 'resting' is because of all the unhealthy chemicals. preservatives, synthetic stimulants we consume in the processessed/refined "food" we consume each & every day...

perhaps lost tribes or villages deep in jungles is who we should consult as to the true nature of sleep, dream-time, etc
edit on 26-1-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've experienced pain in a dream before also.
I was dreaming that I was a different creature, and was the last of my kind.
Hunters captured me and were putting me to sleep, with a huge needle in my arm (I was a bipedal furry creature).
That hurt so much that when I woke up from going under in my dream, my arm still really hurt.

I don't think getting a needle ever hurt that much.

All senses are fully working in most dreams that I remember.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Those senses are nothing more but memories. Things that you have experienced before in your life.
edit on 26-1-2013 by HappyWarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2013 by HappyWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Dreams are meaningless. Just your brain processing information you have taken in. Your sub conscious simply tries to make sense of synapses firing, while your conscious mind is turned off. It's like looking an a Rorschach test. After your conscious mind awakes, you interpret the dream. Having someone else interpret the dream is like having your mind create a Rorschach test and have someone else say what it means.

My dreams can only be interpreted as coming from someone else's brain sometimes. I think the more creative we are the more our sub conscious embellishes things.

Look for meaning in the real world.

V

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They don't always work. It's not uncommon for green lucid dreamers to go blind in their first few lucids.

Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams. You only feel pain when you take the time to focus on your injuries. I would say the only true sense we have in dreams is awareness. Sight sound and hearing are just different qualities of awareness.

top topics

join