It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snusgate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Swedish Snus. A beautiful gem hiding in the little nooks and crannies.

When I was 16 I became a slave to nicotine in the form of "dip" everyone was doing it at my highschool, so me, being the follower that I was, started using it. It started slow where a tin would last me about a week. By the time I was 18 I could finally purchase it myself and by now it was normal to empty a tin a day. Then I began smoking because where I worked the smokers got regular smoke breaks. When I started college I was smoking a pack every two days and using a tin or two of dip a day. I know that some people smoke 2+ packs a day so I am in no way writing this as a sob story.

Eventually my girl finally knocked some sense into me and told me I need to quit tobacco while I can. Went a week cold turkey and it wasn't horrible except for getting annoyed really easy.

While browsing some other forums I came across swedish snus. At first I blew it off due to the failures that are American "snus", then after reading some reviews that claimed swedish brands such as General blow American snus out of the water, I decided to try it.

Best decision I ever made. It took a while to locate stores that carried it but after I started it back in October I haven't touched a cigarette or a tin of dip.
FAQs on Snus

2003 study on snus
Alternative to smoking in Sweden

From most of these facts I believe Snus is a "safer" alternative to cigarettes, and it should be publicized to help smokers quit. However; I also believe the big cigarette companies are trying to keep swedish snus under wraps.

This article led me to that assumption: www.independent.co.uk...

"...I think we want it to be as little harmful as possible. For that reason I'm in favour of snus and any other product less harmful than cigarettes." Meanwhile, Mr Fjellner is keen to show anyone who will listen an eight-year-old official document, the ENSP Status Report on Oral Tobacco, in which a line admitting there is no clear evidence that Swedish snus is dangerous has been censored using Tip-Ex. "I definitely think there is a cover-up," he says, even going so far as to call it "Snusgate."

The EU has a strict ban on the sale and purchase of Snus in all countries except for Sweden.

The Health Commissioner, John Dalli, pictured below, resigned in ignominy last Tuesday after an official report found that a fellow Maltese politician, Silvio Zammit, had approached the leading manufacturer of snus, Swedish Match, offering to work with Mr Dalli to legalise their product in exchange for bribes worth €60m (£48m). The company alerted the authorities, leading to an investigation by the EU's anti-corruption office, Olaf. It concluded that it "did not find any conclusive evidence of the direct participation of Mr Dalli but did consider that he was aware of these events". Implicated in this way, he had to resign.

This politician approached Swedish Match, a leading snus manufacturer, asking for heavy bribes in order to push for the lift of the ban on snus.
What I'm wondering and the main point of this thread(finally!) is why the ban on snus in the eu? Is it there want to try to limit the number of tobacco products? Or are the cigarette companies behind it?
I live in the USA so the eu doesn't really concern me but I would like to see a drop in the cancer rates in the US but what if the big Cigarette companies are blocking all the positive research on swedish snus?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

In one sense you can equate tobacco (nicotine) with the oil industry.

Both in their current forms are toxic and deadly, but highly profitable. Everyone drives a car needs petrol, and everyone who smokes needs a ciggy.

So as soon as something comes along that piques the attention of the big industry behind it, all guns come out to battle it.

If anyone was serious about stopping people smoking, they'd simply outright make it illegal and anyone caught with the newly created illicit substance would face penalties.

They don't want you to stop smoking. They want long living smokers, who stand on the roof top yelling "Look at me, I'm 93 years old and I smoke 12 packs a day. Nothing wrong with me!" and advocate that it's all hooey about the cancer and the disease.

They want people to enjoy their flavour as long as possible. It means dollars.

So snus (haha sounded like snooze gate in the title) is probably battling a hefty battle behind the scenes.

I smoke shisha, so I know the difference between the rancid things people huff down called cigarettes. Big difference. Water cooled, no harsh smoke, just plumes of vapour from the hot coal steaming the bejesus out of the shisha. Pretty cheap too when you consider it.

And therein lies the second issue.

People don't want to have a quick snus.. Or a quick hookah.

They want that ciggy in 5 mins ago. Climbing the walls waiting for coffree break. In one goes, out the last one goes.

To sit down and enjoy it is one thing. To get a 'fix' is another.

I can buy a bottle of smooth honey bourbon. Sip it slowly and enjoy it. Or I can buy a bottle of $5 essence and bung it in a 2 litre bottle of coke, to get plastered...

I do neither - it's just a reference. Smokers in reality are the equivalent of the alcoholic. It's all now now now, gotta have 3 packs for tonight in case I run out, can't be left hanging.

I've always been interested in snus.. might have to look into it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yup! Smoking stinks and leeches away your health sooner or later. Nasty business. I've smoked for years.

Nowadays I run miles a week, swim and go to the gym. Sub-50 resting heart-rate and whoop-de-doo lung capacity. Oh yeah! Training for an extreme race course.

The screwy thing is that in 6 months my smoking has gone up too. Its yellow-stained fingers have been picking my pocket and getting a tighter grip on me than for years.

Yesterday I bought a UK version of your Snus...it's called '10 Motives' and you just puff away on dry ice and nicotine. One is equivalent to 40 full-fat cigs. The plan is to ween down the cigs to just a few and then think about considering the possibility that it might make sense to entertain the notion of quitting altogether.

I've used them briefly last year and they did take the edge of frayed temper.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Yesterday I bought a UK version of your Snus...it's called '10 Motives' and you just puff away on dry ice and nicotine.

You're not smoking the snus are you? oO

I think I misunderstand.

Personally I love the ritual of the hookah. The nicotine from a good smoke lingers but it's the taste and attention during the smoke that is relaxing..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Yesterday I bought a UK Version of your Snus...it's called '10 Motives' and you just puff away on dry ice and nicotine. One is equivalent to 40 full-fat cigs. The plan is to ween down the cigs to just a few and then think about considering the possibility that it might make sense to entertain the notion of quitting altogether.

Well since its a knockoff that might be the problem. How is it produced? Is it Pasteurized? What percent of the product is water? Any clue what the TSNA levels are?

Edit: Excuse me, a quick google search revealed that it is an e-cig, not snus.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Holidakd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Aha. I only skimmed the FAQ link and thought they were talking about e-cigs. Sorry!

It looks like Skoal Bandits from the 1980s in the UK. I was a kid and remember them being in the shops and sponsoring motorbike races. You sucked on the tobacco and it was later banned.

In terms of social wonderment, I'm not sure sucking on a lip-full of tobacco would be any less enticing than cig-breath.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

In reference to the cig breath/lip full of tobacco comment:
I didn't really think about that, good point

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I live in the UK and starting using Snus, its awesome.

Strange thing is, you cant buy it from Sweden, there is an export ban on it to every EU country on account of the evil cancer is gives you[it doesnt] but cigarettes are fine lol. They can however export it to Norway, who then sells it online for you.

Almost as though the tobacco companies dont want the competition.

Doesnt make your breath mental or anything either, has a sorta sweet/salty taste though, not for everyone. But it rests up in your top lip, you can buy it loose or in tiny tea bag like poches.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

The only brand I can get in the states is General, which is good but all of the few flavors they have here are starting to get old. I really want to try thunder frosted and nick and johnny

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holidakd
reply to post by Tuttle

The only brand I can get in the states is General, which is good but all of the few flavors they have here are starting to get old. I really want to try thunder frosted and nick and johnny

One of my oldest daughters friends is into snus.
www.buysnus.com...

I didnt know what the big deal was and he showed me this link. Meh.. Id rather smoke.... but I quit. Still want one though after several yrs of being a nonsmoker..

edit on 29-1-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

ETA ... my grandmother used to use snuff... and spit it in a bottle. Ugh. SHe didnt sniff it.. she put it in her cheek like chewing tobacco. I was always curious about it.. she let me try some when I was about 10.. and I spent the night puking as I swallowed the "juice".
It came in a litte can back then.. like the size of a pill bottle. I cant think of the name for anything, but Id know it if I saw it! LOL!
edit on 29-1-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why not make your own? You can tailor the flavors to your liking.

top topics

join