It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Braids' may heat sun's corona, study says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
CNN

Scientists wanted to find out what energy source could be responsible for the inflated temperatures of the corona, which is where space weather - such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections that can interfere with your GPS - comes from.

A NASA telescope called the High-resolution Coronal Imager (Hi-C) has taken images of the sun's corona with unprecedented resolution, letting scientists take a closer look than ever at the atmosphere of our nearest star. To give you a sense of how good these images are, the resolution is equivalent to resolving a dime from 10 miles away, NASA said.

The result are dozens of high-resolution images that give scientists a "glimpse" of the energy release and storage system in the sun's atmosphere, said Jonathan Cirtain, an astrophysicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, in a press conference Wednesday.

In a study published in the journal Nature, Cirtain and colleagues describe magnetic "braids" in the sun's corona, which could help explain its unusual heat. In other words, twisting and intersecting magnetic field lines move gas around in the corona, generating energy that raises the temperature.

Great find!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

And of course it comes on the heels of

Electric Universe Theory, RIP: New Discovery of Why Sun's Corona is Hot

RIP Electric Sun

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

There was some great material in that thread and i never saw a tombstone.

I dont see where the EU theory has a problem with these filamentous structures heating the sun, maybe i dont understand it well enough.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

There was some great material in that thread and i never saw a tombstone.

I dont see where the EU theory has a problem with these filamentous structures heating the sun, maybe i dont understand it well enough.

It's not that it had a problem with the filaments, it had a problem with mainstream science failing to explain, in a reasonable manner, the heating of the corona. The was the touchstone. While the findings may be preliminary, they do follow up the initial theories pointing to the chaotic magnetic field as the source of energy, vindicating science and liquidating one of the few crutches the "electric theory" had (in addition to a great number of holes it certainly did have).

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Doesnt the EU theory expect a chaotic magnetic field?

I thought that it did.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Doesnt the EU theory expect a chaotic magnetic field?

I thought that it did.

It did, but it was not the crucial part. The crucial part was that the Sun is actually heated by some magic, and yet undetected currents, flowing from some place else in the Galaxy. Which is idiotic.

join