It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little adhesive for your BoB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
m.homebase.co.uk... =yes

Went on a survival and bushcraft week run by former Royal Marines, and had a day making fishing spears and then into the water to test them. Making the spears alone was bloody difficult, fixing the heads on was a nightmare. One of the instructors then did a 'cheats corner' hour(as they did every day on the subjects of choice) and whip about this plasticine looking stuff. The inside is white, the outside blue, and you mix it like dough till its greyish and mixed well.

You then got twenty minutes to slap in your spear point wrap this around it in a quantity to secure it, then leave it by a fire to harden. It sets like concrete, and gives a really weighty secure feeling to the spear.Voila, no more nlost points, no more insecure spears, just damn effective tools.

I was impressed enough to come back and share this and have to say I've added a tube to my tool box at home and work as well as my BoB.

That's all folks :-)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I did a search for a comparable US product for those of us here and found this:

LINKY

Looks pretty similar.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It's called "Epoxy Putty".

It is basically an epoxy resin with a fibrous filler.

It doesn't need the fire to harden though.....most epoxy's will set slower when left next to a heat source and can ignite.

To add.....

The epoxy putty can be a little bulky and can be substituted for regular epoxy resin(Araldite, etc). When in the field, the resin can be mixed with sand, grass, bark, etc to provide a fibrous binding/filling agent.

You can also substitute super-glue for the epoxy resin when in a pinch.

edit on 19/1/2013 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've used similar 2 part epoxies that when combined they even adhere underwater. Actually the water helped it cure better and it also hardens like concrete. The product is called 'Pool Putty' and is primarily used for fixing leaky plumbing in swimming pools but can also be used for a variety of things.

Overall it's a good idea to put in your BOB.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Good idea! I would also recommend a roll of F4 tape. Link

It's especially handy in the car during long road trips through barren wastelands. I would know

CX

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
One brand here is Milliput epoxy putty, i've used it for many things, from making miniature fantasy weapons that will last a lifetime, to patching up the side of a car.

You can sand it and paint it when dry.

Solid stuff.

CX.
edit on 19/1/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Just thought I'd pass it on up for discussion as I was to be honest, very impressed. Great time and energy saver, and instead of a 'make do' tool, we ended up with a very long term robust article.

The uses were many, but this I thought was a worthy share.

CX

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Heres a tip for making an epoxy type glue naturaly....

In the video below at 1:05 you can see Ray Mears collecting hardened pine resin....

Then at 7:00 he goes through the process of mixing the heated resin with charcoal to form a glue to hold arrow heads in place.

CX.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
That show show skilled he is, as that took us hours, with very little positive outcome. I found it very brittle, even with a small cube of natural beeswax added.

What it does show me is that these wholly natural 'bush' techniques are not be used light heartedly by the inexperienced.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

F4 tape can be expensive if you shop at an electrical store you can find an amalgamating tape that has a slight fibrous feel to it. Satellite and aerial installers use it for waterproofing external aerial connections, just remember to pull it taught as you wrap to get rid of air pockets between the layers and to get good adhesion

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Thanks OP I will be buying some if this.
I also found some great velcro at Wally world is really strong it says industrial strength and it is. I hate cheap velcro.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have carried the soft two part putty type but I prefer JB weld I don't know why it just works good for most stuff
I've mixed the charcoal resin stuff as well with mixed results (no pun intended) sometimes it's great sometimes
Not so much I had better results with the darker char than with the ash anyhow my two cents

By the way the 2 tubes of JB weld weight only a few ounces

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
I have carried the soft two part putty type but I prefer JB weld I don't know why it just works good for most stuff
I've mixed the charcoal resin stuff as well with mixed results (no pun intended) sometimes it's great sometimes
Not so much I had better results with the darker char than with the ash anyhow my two cents

By the way the 2 tubes of JB weld weight only a few ounces

I also have some of the JB weld I have not tried it does it work good? I could not resist it at Home Depot.

I guess what I am asking what could you use it for?
edit on 21-1-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I truly believe its uses are endless my grandfather used it forever thats why I picked it up it won't cure underwater
But once its dry its dry and can be submersed it attaches metal glass porcelain wood pretty much a you name it kinda two part epoxy holds up to heat till you can get your muffler fixed (lol) I even used it once to fix the thermostat cup on a car engine till I could replace it , I've used it to pair side covers on motorcycles, it really has no end

Of course I could be biased a bit because my grandpa liked it so much

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
reply to post by SubTruth

I truly believe its uses are endless my grandfather used it forever thats why I picked it up it won't cure underwater
But once its dry its dry and can be submersed it attaches metal glass porcelain wood pretty much a you name it kinda two part epoxy holds up to heat till you can get your muffler fixed (lol) I even used it once to fix the thermostat cup on a car engine till I could replace it , I've used it to pair side covers on motorcycles, it really has no end

Of course I could be biased a bit because my grandpa liked it so much

I trust the old timers also.
Wisdom is not something you are born with it comes with age. And thanks it will be going in my BOB.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Astr0

I know this post is old, but exploring Astr0's posts and spotted this. Can't believe I never thought of adhesive in my BoB. Have plenty of variety on hand, will definitely be adding some to the collection!

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I carry dermabond which is medical grade super glue to seal small wounds

www.jnjmedicaldevices.com...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I would recommend a bottle of cyanoacrylic adhesive (superglue) and a sealed container of baking soda. The two react together to cure the superglue immediately and the backing soda turns into a hard tough crystal. I have patched fiberglass gas tanks with it and repaired minor leaks to a car radiator with it.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I would recommend a bottle of cyanoacrylic adhesive (superglue) and a sealed container of baking soda. The two react together to cure the superglue immediately and the backing soda turns into a hard tough crystal. I have patched fiberglass gas tanks with it and repaired minor leaks to a car radiator with it.

You can also heat the cyanoacrylate and lift fingerprints. But use a fume hood--fumes are highly toxic.

Personally I use cyanoacrylate to adhere my feathers to arrow shafts. It works way better than the high dollar fletching compounds. Which fail if they get too warm... and brittle if too cold....

new topics

top topics

join