It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much National Debt would Texas owe if it were to secede?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As far as I am aware, the debt is a Federal Debt. All $16 trillion of it.

Could Texas get out of it if they decide to secede?

Texas as a stand alone nation makes alot of sense.

Texas as a stand alone nation would be ranked 15th in the world for GDP. The only state in America with a higher GDP is California but they cant manage an economy like Texas can. Texas would be much better off being its own nation.

Here are some words from a good Texan.

Here in Texas, we are not as divided as the USA. We think the USA is about to split up or spend a long time tearing itself apart over the problems of the last Civil War, which was basically Northern Liberals versus the South, where people wanted states to have more ability to determine their own future; the Northern liberals wanted to force us to do what they saw was right, not what we knew was right in our own hearts.

A free and independent Texas is a good idea. We have land, industry, and most importantly, we have good people. We have a chance to break away from the death-trap that is the United States. People know that, and so they have created a big illusion to distract us: the argument that our secession is legal because the annexation of Texas was never legal.

source

A petition asking the US Government to allow Texas to secede was rejected by the White House last week. Here is some of the rejection.

“Our founding fathers established the Constitution of the United States ‘in order to form a more perfect union’ through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government,” Mr. Carson wrote. “They enshrined in that document the right to change our national government through the power of the ballot — a right that generations of Americans have fought to secure for all. But they did not provide a right to walk away from it.”

www.nytimes.com...

The Federal Government just told the States that they cant walk away from the Union even if they want to. American States do not have the right to walk away. America is alot like a mafia or gang. American states are being held hostage by the tyrannical Federal Government. Nothing has changed. Funny how the Federal Government likes to use the Founding Fathers when it suits them. Maybe Texas should remind them of the 2nd.

I am pretty sure that if Texas can secede then they will not have to pay any of the Federal Governments massive and scary $16 trillion National Debt. Texas didnt create the debt so why are Texans propping up a corrupt Federal Government and fixing their mess for them? Could America pay without the massive Texan GDP? America needs Texas but Texas does not need America.

Texas could stand alone but I am sure other states/nations would join it. The red states are not happy. A union of Patriot States is entirely possible. The Patriot States could give themselves a new start and protect themselves from the federal government by breaking away and forming a union of American Patriot States.
edit on 17-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I am all for it. I would hope that Florida would follow Texas out of the union, but somehow my state went blue last time. That leaves me with the decision to relocate or not if it does happen. Definitely would have to think hard about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

Lets say Texas did try to secede, well then we would essentially have to go to war or have some serious negotiating skills. I think that if the US actually let us go, having such a good economy, there would be a hefty price to pay. I don't think anyone can say how much though. I've read several articles of economists coming to the conclusion that Texas could thrive on its own. Although we have a high poverty rate, we have a low welfare rate. Among illegal aliens contributing to this number, we have a large and hard working work force. We have oil, the gulf coast, are the only state on its own power grid, etc.

It could be possible, but will we see it happen? If we do, Texas wouldn't be the only one putting up the fight. I think we'd see a Civil War. And that would mean a whole string of other issues besides federal debt.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Would Texas continue to support welfare for people who simply choose not to work or to scam the system. I have a feeling if Texas dropped the entitlements aside from people with actual disabilities there would probably be an exodus of people that would move to other states where they could continue working the system they have become dependent upon. This would leave extra money for the state to invest in creating jobs for people that actually want to work. JMO.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
the US government can not afford to let Texas secede.

Its how much the US would owe Texas.

top topics

join