It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has there ever been a Mass Shooting (civilian) by someone over 30? What is the real reason then?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It seems like all of these shootings recently and most historically are by young men under 30 yrs old. I know of one case of a woman being involved but I am not sure of her age. Surely there are mentally ill men over 30 who are capable of these atrocities but the statistics dont seem to bear it out (even with older returning veterans over the last decade). What could be the reason besides mental illness then? Testosterone is higher for younger men but the drop off is gradual (especially before the 50s). The one thing that I can think of that is more common with younger men then is the proliferation of violent video, war simulation games (ie Black Ops). Therefore the lethal combination seems to be Male (Testosterone, T) +Youth (< age 30 = higher T & lack of discipline & emotional immaturity) + Mental Illness (most obvious) + Violent Video Games...with the Violent Video Games being the trigger that sets off these mentally ill young men. IF they want to stop gun violence then TPT Is should focus on this combination of factors not just say they "looked" at it...then again what is the real agenda here?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm sure I've seen reports on shooters over the age of 30. Usually in a workplace - stress, job loss, bad bosses.....
Another reason has been domestic disputes.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yep there sure are mass murders over the age of 30 they are called us congressman and presidents.

Yep

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Has there ever been a Mass Shooting Patsy who was someone over 30? That is the real reason! page 1

fixed your title ... carry on.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Maybe you mean only in america, but this one immediately came to mind:
en.wikipedia.org...

The Norwegian Police arrested Anders Behring Breivik, a then 32-year-old Norwegian right-wing extremist,[22] on Utøya island[23] and charged him with both attacks.

I have to wonder how this man only got 21 years...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

I posted this in another thread that claimed they were all done by children. But, I'll post it here as well.

Believe it or not, research has been done on this and various stats are out there. Among them is this one...
out of all the American mass shootings the average age of the shooter is 35.

From..
A Guide to Mass Shootings in America

Forty four of the killers were white males. Only one of them was a woman. (See Goleta, Calif., in 2006.) The average age of the killers was 35, though the youngest among them was a mere 11 years old. (See Jonesboro, Ark., in 1998.) A majority were mentally ill—and many displayed signs of it before setting out to kill.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I remember in the eighties and early nineties, it seems like the mass shooter was crazy, but a different age group. If anyone remembers the etymology of the term "going postal", they'll remember that the euphemism came about by a couple of workplace shooting that were done by veterans suffering PTSD in a very tedious Post Office job.They were much older than the 16-25 age group in mass shootings we see right now. I'm going off of my perception of media coverage not raw facts there.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thomas Hamilton,the Dunblane massacare in the U.K.
Not sure how old he was,in his fifties i think.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Nutter knows No Age.

no matter the age, history, background or 'social influences' and the like

Nutter knows No age

they just nut ...and Crack.

Crazy, imbalanced people do weird, stupid and craZy shyte all the time, some younger. some older. it matters Not their Age...

Crazy, imbalanced people do weird, stupid and craZy shyte all the time

You can wash, rinse and repeat THAT to the ends of time and it'll Still hold true .... guns, knives or otherwise...

Crazy, imbalanced people do weird, stupid and craZy shyte all the time

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
From an analysis I did of 657 data points of mass murderers taken from wikilists:

The ages ranged from 10 years old at the youngest to 70 years old at the oldest. The age that was found most frequently was 28 years old with 32 occurrences, 40yo was next at 30 occurrences with 25yo filling out the top three with 29 occurrences.

Double number ages occurred with the following frequency: 11yo (1), 22yo (21), 33yo (15), 44yo (17), 55yo (6), and 66yo (1). The ages of 12, 61, 68, and 69 were the only ones not represented in the 10-70yo range.

The base numerological numbers of the reduced ages was obtained by adding the digits of each of the represented ages (45yo=4+5=9). The most frequent reduced numbers were 7 (80 times-12%), 10 (79 times-12%), 3 (79-12%), 9 (77-11%), and 5 (68-10%).

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This website has a pretty good go at profiling mass murderers, there doesn't seem to be a particular age range, whilst media and drugs are not mentioned as direct antecedents. It seems mental health issues are common and emotional dysregulation may be one explanation though. These people have a lot of hate, unsurprisingly I suppose.

Profiling Mass Murderers

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I have to wonder how this man only got 21 years...

Norway considers life in prison a "cruel and unusual punishment." America imprisons people for punishment and, occasionally, protection from society. Other nations focus on rehabilitation.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yea most of those are targeted individuals....they guy boss who fired him and the co-workers who made him look bad (at least his excuse); the guy having an affair with his wife or the wife having the affair....not random killings in a public place.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

I am referring to mass shootings not serial killings tho....We are looking for the Adam Lanzas not the Ted Bundys.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

How he got less than a year per victim is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

I am referring to mass shootings not serial killings tho....We are looking for the Adam Lanzas not the Ted Bundys.

Me too, more or less.. my data points were taken from the wiki page “List of mass murderers and spree killers by number of victims”

en.wikipedia.org...

Ted Bundy was more of a serial killer.

Incidentally, the list I use has apparently been renamed "Rampage Killers" by wiki since the time I extracted the information.

edit on 17-1-2013 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

join