It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenyan MPs vote themselves $100,000 retirement bonus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I just thought I'd post this as an example (yet another!) that the political class is the same the world over.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

I may be overly cynical, but I truly believe that the condition of psychopathy in the majority of those who seek positions of power, the world over, is the reason our planet is in the shape it is today.

Here is an extreme example of how politicians are permitted to impose austerity, just as long as it does not apply to them:

MPs in Kenya have awarded themselves a $107,000 (£65,000) retirement bonus in one of the last sessions of parliament before a general election in March.

The MPs are among the highest paid in Africa, earning $13,000 a month.

The average yearly salary in Kenya is about $1,700.

Yes, that adds up to $156 000/yr vs. $1 700/yr. Again... this is the same situation everywhere!

It never ceases to amaze me (well, disgust is more like it) how the only bills that never cause divisiveness and never ending debate are the ones that deal with giving themselves pay raises. (Do you get to decide on your pay raise?) I've always thought that the salary of elected officials should be calculated by the average salary of their citizens... maybe that would encourage them to act in the best interest of the citizens!?!

And remember, in a democracy, these are civil servants, supposed to be working FOR the constituents... but as is the case everywhere else, the ideological world has been turned upside down! (And yes, Kenya is democratic.)

Good grief!

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
In the not so united kingdom.
The MP's called for a 32 % pay increase today

Reality check required

new topics

join