It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem cells 'could restore vision'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Stem cells taken from the back of the eye could eventually be used to restore normal vision in people with sight problems, researchers have said.

Human retinal stem cells regenerated when they were transplanted into the eyes of mice and chicks, scientists at the University of Toronto found.

They now plan to see if the same happens in diseased eyes in the hope of eventually treating humans.

The findings appear in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

read more

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Stem cells, both embryonic and adult which this seems to be, hold a lot of promise and beg further research. We're only beginning to uncover some of the treatments that can be had with the benefit of stem cells. Go Canada!!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Being pro-life, I am against embryonic stem cell research.

Adult stem cells are ethical, and besides that adult stem cells are supposed to work better. You can get them from your own fat supplies (no shortage of that here in America haha), and cure your own problems.

So why kill children for stem cells when you can do better with adult stem cells? That's what I want to know. Christopher Reeve should have been pushing for ASC research.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Stem cells saved my friends life! He had been diagnosed with cancer. It was supposed to be the easiest form of cancer to fight. Non-Hodgskins (i believe) He was given a stem cell transplant and has been in remission for 3 years (in January) They harvested his own cells and gave them back to him! It is/was still experimental but it worked!!! Medical technology is wonderful!

However, I am pro-life. There are ways around the abortion issue for this reasearch. I do not want to turn this thread into another debate. I just wanted to note that there are alternatives.

We need people to donate these cells.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rachlls
Stem cells saved my friends life! He had been diagnosed with cancer. It was supposed to be the easiest form of cancer to fight. Non-Hodgskins (i believe) He was given a stem cell transplant and has been in remission for 3 years (in January) They harvested his own cells and gave them back to him! It is/was still experimental but it worked!!! Medical technology is wonderful!

However, I am pro-life. There are ways around the abortion issue for this reasearch. I do not want to turn this thread into another debate. I just wanted to note that there are alternatives.

We need people to donate these cells.

Hey, with his own cells, that's great!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Being pro-life, I am against embryonic stem cell research.

Why limit yourself with a classification? Be pro-thought.

Stem cell research is ethically balanced, it's not evil nor is it good. It's science, it's technology and it's going to help Stevie Wonder see. How can you be against Stevie?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Adult stem cells are ethical, and besides that adult stem cells are supposed to work better. You can get them from your own fat supplies (no shortage of that here in America haha), and cure your own problems.

There is so much not known, and at this point many believe that embryonic stem cells have much more potential and versatility than their adult counterparts. Embryonic cells may be better for some treatments, and adult for others. There is so much we DON'T know about either type of stem cell, and there is much to be learned.

Embryonic stem cell research isn't necessarily tied to the pro-life debate. Many embryos exist now and are frozen to be eventually destroyed. The goal is progress and research and that's not the same as terminating pregnancies for reasons from birth control, to health of the mom. Stem cell debate is a seperate school of thought and argument.

new topics

top topics

join