It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tsunami bomb' tested off New Zealand coast during WWII

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting Link

So, the military has been dealing with weather modification and environment control for a long time. These early tests could have been precursors to a variety of other programs.

The habit is to compartmentalize, so I would assume the project was shut down and then re-opened somewhere else with more specific goals in mind.

he tests were carried out in waters around New Caledonia and Auckland during the Second World War and showed that the weapon was feasible and a series of 10 large offshore blasts could potentially create a 33-foot tsunami capable of inundating a small city.

The top secret operation, code-named "Project Seal", tested the doomsday device as a possible rival to the nuclear bomb. About 3,700 bombs were exploded during the tests, first in New Caledonia and later at Whangaparaoa Peninsula, near Auckland.

The plans came to light during research by a New Zealand author and film-maker, Ray Waru, who examined military files buried in the national archives.

"Presumably if the atomic bomb had not worked as well as it did, we might have been tsunami-ing people," said Mr Waru.

It's scary to think what the potential is today considering advancements in technology. New forms of explosives, higher grade for less volume could make this entirely feasible today with ease IMO.

Although that's just guess work I know virtually nothing about explosives in general. I figure that the 2 million kilograms of requried munitions could be easily downsized with our current technology.

Thoughts ATS?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
when I was diving in the great barrier reef, I actually thought about this when researching the area on google earth.
it seems like its in plain site and an easy way of huge damage.

edit on 1/2/2013 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You know, there is an aspect of this that just occurred to me. If Sonar is as sensitive as they say it is....and marine life itself can sometimes detect more than man made systems seem to....how far away would a real blast blow out the senses of all life in the water? I'd looked up the levels of noise..and it wasn't a comforting thing. The top 4?

Tunguska, Russia - 1908 = 300-315 Decibels (Presumed the loudest event in known history)

5.0 Quake = 235 Decibels

1 Ton TNT Bomb = 210 Decibels

Krakatoa Volcanic Eruption - 1883 = 180 Decibels (Heard 1,930 miles away in Perth Australia)

Source - Loudest Events in History

and some common things?

Painful

150 dB = fireworks at 3 feet

140 dB = firearms, jet engine

130 dB = jackhammer

120 dB = jet plane takeoff, siren
Source

So.... How much of the Ocean would have been depopulated by the impact of the blast....entirely by unintended consequence? Using natural processes as a weapon? Evil in my opinion. It's amazing we all survived the 20th century at all.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thoughts?

Seems the alternative news about Fukushima incident being caused by a Tsunami bomb may not be so far-fetched after all.

Especially given how many times the strength of the quake was changed.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Some earlier discussion...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join