It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Azerbaijan Pokes Russia In The Eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
January 1, 2013: Russia has decided to shut down its Daryal type long range missile detection radar in Azerbaijan after the Azerbaijanis demanded that a new lease increase annual rent from $7 million to $300 million. Russia refused to pay and will shut down the Azerbaijan radar and dismantle it. The ten year lease ended on December 24, 2012. This radar went operational in 1983 and was supposed to be one of seven. But the end of the Cold War halted that project and only one other Daryal radar was built (on the north coast of Russia). That one detected missiles coming in over the North Pole from North America. The radar in Azerbaijan covered all of the Middle East and India. Its role will be assumed by a more recent radar design that recently went into service on the Black Sea coast. Russia had offered to upgrade the Azerbaijan radar and pay more rent, but not $293 million more a year more. In addition, Russia has always paid Azerbaijan $5 million a year for electricity and $10 million a year for other services. About 500 Azerbaijanis were employed at the radar station, in addition to 1,100 Russians.

www.strategypage.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Bold move Azerbaijan. Game on!

Russia's turn next. In soviet Russia; Owners of building pay rent to leasee.
edit on 2-1-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

And what a price increase from 7 million to 300 million, must be hungry

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You can bet your boots that the US have had a hand in this.

With all the talk of "Cold War" and a divided middle east, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that US diplomats have been playing the "Putin is going to step on you" card amongst the smaller soviet allied countries.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
You can bet your boots that the US have had a hand in this.

With all the talk of "Cold War" and a divided middle east, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that US diplomats have been playing the "Putin is going to step on you" card amongst the smaller soviet allied countries.

Of course it does! If it wasnt for the US, russia would obliterate Azerbaijan in a show-off like they did in georgia in 08... and yet we'll see what russia will do. I hope they show some muscle just to show the US that the bear cant be scared.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

On that note When Russia kicks off we know it I don't see them going into Azerbaijan to be honest and they are making moves to be on a friendlier basis with Georgia but they do like a game of chess or two

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Azerbaijan Pokes Russia In The Eye,

Friendly advice.

This is not a footbal match and we are not 12.

What is the purpose of this title ?

Still in 1983 ?

Cold war literature ?

Stimulating cons and pros ?

Stimulating bigot patriots ?

For what ?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

If you are referring to myself I Just copied the headline that is all I weren't even thought of in 83

and the cold war never ended

edit on 2-1-2013 by ANDERSON23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANDERSON23
reply to post by mideast

If you are referring to myself I Just copied the headline that is all I weren't even thought of in 83

and the cold war never ended

Maybe never ended but it is not a public issue anymore.

+ It is clear how this website is using words.

Those blinds patriots are easily stimulated and actuated by these words.

Maybe this is better be a Facebook reference than ATS reference.

Patriotism is discussed many times in ATS and it will be discussed more.

So it is not going to work here.

Peace.
edit on 2-1-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Interesting development but not particularly surprising. Azerbaijan was never a committed member of the Soviet Union (think more on the lines of "volunteered" for membership rather than they actively sought membership).

Still, i wasn't aware of this so thank very much for posting.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

It is a public issue even the cold war started with pre dated events and influences and just look at todays events to see that the cold war is still highly influential in geopolitics of today as for the website I take no credit for what is put on their site however the information is still there if you can look past structure and language and look at the basis of topic you can always chase the info for more in depth and less biased and subjective views but the site can be a stepping stone to information

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

your welcome a bit of history on Azerbaijan and the soviets:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Russia aren't going to do anything. They will sit back, with their newer technology, and concentrate their political power on Armenia or another, smaller, nation.

This probably involved the U.S., but with Iran to it's south, Russia to it's north and Armenia to the west (which houses a Russian military base) I think the Azeri's are playing a dangerous game by slapping Russia.

In a war, they wouldn't stand a chance.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragain

non of the ex soviet states would stand a chance in a war really Georgia could barely cope with internal issues then the 08 happened and they got owned and that should have proved that there really is no back up when troubles comes any ones way really Azerbaijan and Armenia are a hot zone amongst them selves I wouldn't be surprised if west and east had influence on a lot of the issues in this area of the Globe I don't war over this not in a long shot.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is not the work of the US or anybody else. The problem is Armenia and Azerbaijan have a border dispute, one they shoot at each other over. Russia has supported Armenia so Azerbaijan wants Russia out. Armenia also has terrible relashions with Turkey. So Armenia has a two tier approach, they have the Russians with a base in their nation but, of course Russian military not being what it once was they also participate heavily with NATO through the PfP. That would most likely keep Turkey from helping Azerbaijan out if a conflict flaired up. In fact if not for Turkey blocking it Armenia would likely get rid of the Russian and join NATO.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Israel has been in cahoots with Azerbaijan for a while now. They even have approval for a laucnh on Iran from Azerbaijani air bases. They have been doing a LOT of cooperation here lately.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Last I herd that was not the case Israel hasn't been given approval for such acts from Azi soil, can you provide a source and it was only permission given to land in Azerbaijan after a strike
edit on 5-1-2013 by ANDERSON23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh yeah...and Israel is supplying them with 1.6 Billion worth of military equipment.

www.reuters.com...

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

www.csmonitor.com...

new topics

top topics

join