It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Oldest fossils' found in Pilbara

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Bacteria fossils

news.discovery.com...

edit on 3-1-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yes I believe the second picture you posted are Stromatolites? They are generaly seen around Shark Bay, Hamlin Bay, Cervantes area. Pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Pretty cool.

Whats "pretty cool" is this is a subject for the radio show. I know, but still.

There is this theory I heard somewhere that these bacteria are the first terra-forming life to put oxygen in the air. They were the first to give the earth 02 for life forms to breathe. Just one "next step" in the long chain... of life.

Of course that took a really, really long time.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Hey there Captain, sweet thread.

I work as a geologist in the Pilbara region fairly close ('Pilbara close' that is)to where these fossils were discovered. The entire of W.A., especially the northern parts are truly unique. Almost every rock out there is more than 2 billion years old and were formed at a time when the world was so completely different to what it is now in terms of atmosphere and terrain. Every layer tells a story of a volcanic eruption, meteor collisions and were all formed when this part of Australia was a shallow ocean basin.

It’s not at all surprising that the world’s oldest fossils were found here. In fact I’d be surprised if they were found anywhere else....

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

G'day!

Wow! I envy you! I would love to know more about that region. I really should read more...........work work work!
Maybe I should change my "work"

Anyway, Cheers!

Capt

top topics

<< 1   >>

join