It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Hears Voices Telling Her To Go To The Doctors! AMAZING STORY!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I thought I had seen this on ATS before but after a few searches I couldn't find it. So here you are.

This story is one of the strangest, most wonderful stories I have ever read and it couldn't come from a more credible source. The British Medical Journal. In 1984 a European migrant known only as AB was sitting reading at her home in Britain. AB was a normal everyday women, a mother, housewife but she was about to have an experience that would not only change her life but save it.

While AB sat reading she heard a voice!

Please don't be afraid. I know it must be shocking for you to hear me speaking to you like this, but this is the easiest way I could think of. My friend and I used to work at the Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street, and we would like to help you.”

Shocked and confused AB went too see her doctor. She told the doctor about the voices and what they had said. The doctor, Dr. I.O. Azuonye diagnosed AB with functional hallucinatory psychosis. He treated her with thioridazine, an anti-psychotic.

This had seemed to work, the voices had stopped. Atleast until AB went on holiday. While away, the voices came back. The voices told her she needed immediate medical assistance and that she should return back to the UK as soon as possible.

Back in England, the voices give AB an address. When she arrived AB was shocked to see it was a C.A.T scanning unit of a hospital in London. The voice told AB that she had a brain tumor and an inflammed brain stem. Now in full panic mode AB went back to Dr. I.O. Azuonye, who, to comfort her got AB a scan.

After some squabbling with the government-run health-care system, the CAT scan was eventually carried out.

They did the scan and to everyone's surprise, unfortunately AB did indeed have a brain tumour. The voices were correct.

It turns out that AB had a "not rare but not common" tumour that shows no symptoms. AB doctors opted for immediate removal. The voices agreed.

While coming round from the op, the voice spoke to AB one last time.

We are pleased to have helped you. Goodbye

AB made a full recover and never heard from the voices again.

So what were the voices? God? Angels? Dead relatives? A hoax?

Well, Michael Prescott put it perfectly in his blog:

Azuonye reports that while some doctors accept the case as genuinely paranormal, others have suggested either fraud or a subconscious motive. Those who allege fraud speculate that the patient had been given the diagnosis of a brain tumour in her original country and wanted to be treated free under the NHS. Hence, they surmised, she had made up the convoluted tale about voices telling her this and that. Azuonye objects: But AB had lived in Britain for 15 years and was entitled to NHS treatment. Besides, she had been so relieved when the voices first disappeared on thioridazine that she had gone on holiday to celebrate the recovery of her sanity.

michaelprescott.typepad.com...
www.bmj.com...

With the link above you have to sign up for a free 7 day trial. But it's a much more in depth article so its well worth it.
ALS

edit on 1-1-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Finished, can't believe I only posted half the thread! Lol

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wow, cool story. SnF

I would like to know if her doctor still thought she was psychotic.

Angels/spirits.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

I believe her doctor believes that this was an actual paranormal incident.

If you follow the link you can read the story in a lot more detail. But you have to sign up for a free 7 day trial.

www.bmj.com...

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Great thread, as usual ALS

This story was very interesting, I am reading the links you provided me.
I feel things like this are totally possible, but there's something fishy about this to me.
I want to find out what her REAL name is.
Learn more about her personality if possible, to help deduce how true this story is.

I'll post back once I've finished my search.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Thanks TC.

I'm surprised you find it fishy. I am usually quite skeptical about these sorts of subjects but this one just seems to ring true. Perhaps because of the source.

Good luck with your research. I look forward to your findings.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The answer could lie somewhere between the speculations of paranormal activity and (shame on them) scamming for health-care.

I think sometimes we "know" more about what's going on in our bodies than we consciously realized. It's possible her mind, by some mechanism not yet understood, realized there was a problem, and communicated it to her consciousness, in a way not yet understood.

It's a perfectly reasonable, albeit poorly understood, explanation.

The biggest anomalies are if this voice told her exactly what was wrong with her (the precision would seem startling) and I think it might matter whether there was some way she could have consciously or "unconsciously" learned the address mentioned in the story, and that they did scans there. That part does stick out...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I think sometimes we "know" more about what's going on in our bodies than we consciously realized. It's possible her mind, by some mechanism not yet understood, realized there was a problem, and communicated it to her consciousness, in a way not yet understood.

I think this explanation amazes me more than the paranormal one! Can you imagine, a biological process that lets the conscious mind know theres something wrong with it.

Having said that the precision of the information land that theory right next to the paranormal one.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I suggest that the story is fraud. Doctors are permitted to write anecdotal subject matter in the BMJ and is only the particular doctor's reputation riding on it. It does not constitute scientific research.

It could simply be that the tumor was causing hallucinations and the patient was reporting a problem in her head and the story was subsequently embellished.

This portion of the story alerts me to the fraud:

After some squabbling with the government-run health-care system, the CAT scan was eventually carried out.

I don't think someone raised in the UK would express themselves in this way, especially a British doctor. It suggests an underlying anathema towards the NHS. In the UK you do not just go to a hospital and ask to have a CAT scan. It is a public resource and you go through certain channels to access these facilities.

Furthermore, British culture does not entertain the conceit of angels intervening in our mundane lives, illnesses and deaths. That is an American import.

edit on 1-1-2013 by DoorKnobEddie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I believe it. I have a friend who is a Medium, he was born with the ability. He is in his early 50,s. A couple years ago he wash't feeling well, thought he was coming down with a virus. He was going to go to bed for the evening and was told he needed to go to the emergency room. He inquired "why?", he was told he had an issue with his heart and which part of the heart it was. So proceeded to the ER. Once there he told his symptoms to the Dr and asked if he could check his heart. Naturally the Dr. Looked cross eyed at him stating he had no presenting symptoms that would indicate such tests. Long story short, after all test Dr ordered were done and returned normal, once again my friend asks him to run tests on his heart. He tells Dr where he will find the problem...Dr asks how he knows this. He tries to tell him without actually telling him, he doesn't want to be brought to psych ward
Eventually EKG is run and lo and behold it shows an issue. Next ultrasound confirms issue is exactly where he told Dr it would be. Dr is completely dumb-founded. After surgery no more issues.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DoorKnobEddie

You could be right. I have read that tumours can cause all kinds of sensory hallucination. Obviously it depends on where the tumour is placed.

But would anti-psychotics stop the hallucination? I wouldn't think so as they are cause by the leisons on the brain. But I'm not sure of this so ill have to check it.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Thank you. Another amazing story.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

But would anti-psychotics stop the hallucination?

They would. Anti-psychotics do stop hallucinations as in the case of the patient in the story.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DoorKnobEddie

This is a profile for the doctor in the story;

Judging by his previous works I would say he hasn't made this up. But it does need further research.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Another link for those who don't want to sign up to the other one.

m.neatorama.com...

ALS
edit on 1-1-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: Wrong link.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
We don't even know whether she really heard voices. All we have is her claiming that she heard them...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
We don't even know whether she really heard voices. All we have is her claiming that she heard them...

Why would she go to the doctors if she was lying? Why would she come back from holiday if she was lying? Why would she go to the CAT unit if she was lying?

I think it's far more logical to believe she heard the voices than to believe she lied about it.

ALS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

That is a great story and i do believe it happened.

I was driving home, years ago, from my ex boyfriend's house and I heard a lady's voice say in my head, "Turn around and go back". So I turned around and went back to his house and caught my boyfriend cheating on me. Never forget that and I too thank that voice I heard!

Very very cool

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

You have an abundance of woman's intuition and that lady's voice you heard was your subconscious alerting you to clues you were not consciously seeing.

I am sure that you would make one heck of a detective/scientist or investigator of some kind.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Quite an amazing read. I urge folks to actually click the links ALS provided, the first will do just fine (Second I had to make an account, but it was worth it!)

There's this theory I came up with while trying to analyse my friend's schizophrenia.
Maybe we *all* have a "Mental Council" --- there's are just talking all at once.

Perhaps one of hers spoke up in a very real way.

really, a GREAT read, I've shared it a bit with some friends and they think so too.

Honestly she would have no motivation to lie in order to get treatment, so that is entirely ruled out in my opinion.

Leaving us with quite the anomaly!

I've been very interested in learning about "spirit guides", many have had vivid & lucid dreams regarding beings who shared very personal information with them - that real or not, helped them with what they were dealing with during the time. Even from a skeptical approach, if it is an aspect of the Mind - it is truly an invaluable one at that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join