It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New computer recommendation ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My computer went capoowy for good this time I think. Sigh~

I have been trying to get it to Boot up for the past couple of days but nothing is working.
I have tried system restore and startup repair but neither of these things have worked.

So I am at the point of looking for a new computer, laptop.

Any recommendations? I only use the computer for surfing, getting on websites, skype, chat, watching movies, email and such things so I don't need anything fancy. I just want something durable.

The laptop that I have now is a Dell Inspiron 1545, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500, 2.3GHz, 800MHz, 1MB L2 Cache which was purchased in 2010. Not old but was hit by virus and now has a new hard drive that appears to also be having issues.

Any suggestions ? Thx leolady

edit on 1-1-2013 by leolady because: cuz

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

This will sound strange, but if you don't mind a used laptop, call your local school.

We teachers use our school laptops for 3 years, then they get us new ones to keep up with the technology requirements. The school then sells the used laptops for cheap. Im talking $500, and the laptops are in good condition.

Apple.com sells used laptops as well.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Explanation: S&F!

I will take the specs of your current 'defunct' laptop as the base hardware specs required for you to do what currently do online.

Unless you wish to do more? ... If yes ... then please detail those 'extras'.

Otherwise the only information required ... is what your Budget 'allowance' for this new laptop?

Personal Disclosure: Don't worry leolady ... ATS and OL etc. will have you right as rain in no time!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Ahhh thanks OL !

I can't think of anything else I do on the computer at this moment.

Budget = least expensive possible LOL

leolady

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Sorry that your having problems with your computers.
Are you getting any error messages?
Anyway , If you're looking to get another machine, check out :
www.tigerdirect.com

They sell new ,refurb computers, as well as barebones kits, and pc accessories.
Their site should a least give you a good idea of the variety of computer choices out there.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I never thought about this approach. Thank You. However... i don't know if I want a used laptop... at this point I want something that will last me for at-least 5 years... please I say !

I will be getting a desk top computer in the future too but that is a future...goal. I might consider used for my desk top computer.

leolady

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
sorry to hear that you computer is going awol
not much of a recommendation, but my 1998 sony is working better than ever.
don't make 'em like they used to.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by RavenSpeaks

Thanks for the site I will take a look !

leolady

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Since 98... are you bragging ?

Lucky You.... leolady

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I know you said you do not want to look into getting a used laptop but I think its your best bet. Just because something is used does not mean its not going to work for a long while. People are still using 15 year old computers, take public schools for example.
I do not recommend tiger direct. I know allot of people use the site BUT allot of it is overpriced. If your going to buy used your best bet is cragslist. I KNOW I KNOW the media has brainwashed you into believing its a dangerous site filled with wacko's only because they want you to buy new # from company's. I assure you its filled with people just like the ones on this site that believe in freedom. Its your best bet for getting a amazing computer for a really good price. I would only do this if you are able to take some one along that knows allot about computers.

If your not going to buy used you need to tell us a price range. Now days you can get a new decent laptop for $300. $300 is the absolute least I would sped on a new laptop. If you cant afford that then you should get a desktop because it will perform better.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Since 98... are you bragging ?

bragging ? ...maybe.
cheap ? ... definitely

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I suggest taking a look at Newegg.com or .ca

THey have the best prices and shipping, their refurbs come with excellent warranty.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
i guess, my first question would be are you having "hardware" issues? or software issues? eg; does it power on? (power light)? and after that does it have some kind of splash screen? if no to both then yea your laptop maybe toast.

in picking a new laptop, the first thing would be to deside on a "budget", then go looking arround, asus, acer, lenovo,dell all have deals on there websites for budget laptops.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What error do you get during boot up?
Does the screen freeze? I can probably walk you through getting it to windows, but need some info.

As for a new laptop, there are so many out there doing wiz bang things you never heard of or never need.

TBH, if your laptop is just a means for internet, word, music, movies etc etc.. then you cant go wrong with something around the $800-1000 Mark.

I sell/buy laptops quiet often (I own my own IT company on the side) give me some idea of what you want, how much you want to spend i can give you 3/4 suggestions.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghostinshell

When i hit the power button, the starting windows screen pops up and sits there for ever. Finally it is turning to a black screen and sits there forever. Then a quick blue screen flashes and it comes to a screen stating windows failed to start do i want to launch startup repair or start windows normally. So I choose startup repair and it states Startup repair cannot repair the computer automatically.

I've also tried to start windows normally and it doesn't work either.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

^
^
^
|
|
|
See Above post

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
www.knopper.net...

download this ISO, and make a CD out of it. boot, it and see if everything works kinda sounds like operating system errors, or try to boot into a windows install CD.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Best Buy -

Asus

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hmm can you get into safe mode?

Turn the pc o and keep tappibg 'F8'

you should get to abother menu! Choose safe mode

Does the same issue occur?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Ok. I did the F8 thingy and did Safe Mode and yes it does the same thing where it takes forever then gets to the screen stating to choose either Startup Repair or Start Normally. So i tell it to do Startup repair and it fails same as before. Stating Startup Repair cannot repair the computer automatically.

leolady

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join