It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A serious chat about Australia's position

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
OK now I have just been wondering to myself about how things would play out in the event of east vs west, or russia/china vs US, etc war.

There are generally 2 opinions on australia's path to survival - the most common is that the US will protect us, and then the other is that we will fold to china/asia when the pressure arrives.

The question I have to ask myself though is... Will america really commit the necessary resources to protect australia? and would china even give us the option of folding? It would not be difficult to take us in a military sense, although organised resistance might be possible due to the size of country and low population density.

Should the US become involved in war with china, I do not believe australia will be ignored. In fact I'm starting to think if war with the US happened a very beneficial side effect for china would be that we would instantly be pulled into it, and therefore setup as an enemy of china. They could take Australia regardless of whether an engagement with america lasted into the true 'war' age, or was just a short-term political storm/nightmare.

So I'm wondering what are your thoughts on this.. not on what america SHOULD do, or what australia SHOULD do, but what the actual outcomes would be, given the pressures and costs, etc. Would the US put the full might of it's force behind australia? (Perhaps using the movement to sign off the one-sided trade deal to end all trade-deals?) Would we be ignored by the US and taken instantly by China? Would we be ignored by China? (I'm doubtful)

I suppose the fear of china gaining the resources/space here might be enough to motivate the US, but if they're fighting on their own front as well, then what?

I'm far from a master strategist, I'm sure I'm missing some key points.. would love to hear thoughts though.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Don't forget Australia is part of the British empire.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

Should the US become involved in war with china, I do not believe Australia will be ignored. In fact I'm starting to think if war with the US happened a very beneficial side effect for china would be that we would instantly be pulled into it, and therefore setup as an enemy of china. They could take Australia regardless of whether an engagement with america lasted into the true 'war' age, or was just a short-term political storm/nightmare.

Firstly, anything that happens between the US and China, and I mean ANYTHING, is by design.

China and the US both have an equal vested interest in Australias resources. What many people do not know is that the two largest Oil & Gas contracts in our history have the US (Chevron / Kellog group) as the largest employer and China as the largest customer. Those 2 projects being:

1. The Gorgon Project

2. The Wheatstone Project

But there is an even bigger project coming that is larger than those 2 combined, and that is the INPEX Project

I suppose the fear of china gaining the resources/space here might be enough to motivate the US, but if they're fighting on their own front as well, then what?

Despite what the MSM would have you believe, China and the US are economic lovers, and Australia is their little love nest. I work with representatives of both countries and I can tell you quite assuredly that money talks and bullship walks when it comes to these two "powers" and Australia.

The next world war has already started - it is not soldier against soldier - it is a battle for our minds and hearts.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
We will remain loyal to the US as we always have.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousUSA
We will remain loyal to the US as we always have.

Not if England doesn't, and the US is a terrible thing to remain "loyal" to from what I've seen.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Yanks are just as much family as what the Poms and rest of the commonwealth are.
If we are ever under threat, they will all support us directly.
As for China, some people suggest that they would'nt have much of a chance against the west.
I disagree with that, after 11 years of war the Taliban are still kicking and they will come back when we
all leave Afganistan. If we can't defeat a bunch like the Taliban, how the hell do we win against something
like China?

new topics

top topics

join