It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright kids, who knows a good patent attorney?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Got something and want to go the lawyer route.

Anyone know a good lawyer>

Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
depends on what ur patenting

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
sometimes keeping it in the public domain is a good way to go.

i hope it's not a free energy device, as a member here you know we'd debunk you into oblivion!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Is it your *special* cookie recipe.....

Sorry don't know of any patent lawyers.

Des

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Send me all the plans/schematics plus your marketing strategy and Ill sort it out for ya

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
don't patent, copyright.

if you patent, you have to disclose exactly how it works and how to manufacture it, and you'll see you invention in a chinese factory near you.

but if you just copyright it, you don't have to disclose how it works, how to make it or be that specific. you can keep all that in your head.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
yah if its free energy you cant patent that so dont even try... you can give us some idea of what you want to patent though we cant steal your idea.. although patenting it really makes no difference for most things its very easy to change very small things and have a completely different design or make the exact same thing out of different materials or power source or even just look different and nothing you can do..

Plus you have to have money to sue people and enforce your patent good luck doing that to the people over in china making knockoffs...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'll be consulting a patent attorney soon myself. I have a friend who uses one but I haven't met her yet.

Before you do though, do a patent search yourself with the tools available. Prior art search is the most expensive, most time-consuming part of the patent process. Google has a patent search function now - use that. Also use uspta.gov. If you see your idea somewhere, you might not be able to patent it, or may have to make significant improvements to the original patent.

edit on 28-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Youre incorrect. You can copyright words, music, lyrics, books, articles, poems etc....but legally... you have to PATENT and IDEA, DESIGN, MODEL, PROCEDURE, APPLICATION etc, and TRADEMARK its logo.
I have all three.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

'Tis true...I have a business Trademarked. It wasn't all that expensive. Just a lot of legal paperwork to establish a paper trail.

Des

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by randomname

Youre incorrect. You can copyright words, music, lyrics, books, articles, poems etc....but legally... you have to PATENT and IDEA, DESIGN, MODEL, PROCEDURE, APPLICATION etc, and TRADEMARK its logo.
I have all three.

Semi true. There are two types of patents: Utility and Design.

From USPTO.gov:

In general terms, a “utility patent” protects the way an article is used and works, while a “design patent” protects the way an article looks. The ornamental appearance for an article includes its shape/configuration or surface ornamentation * > applied to < the article, or both. Both design and utility patents may be obtained on an article if invention resides both in its utility and ornamental appearance.

While utility and design patents afford legally separate protection, the utility and ornamentality of an article may not be easily separable. ** > Articles of manufacture may possess both functional and ornamental characteristics.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes. I have all three myself. Wrabbit? Research is easy and its important you dont listen to anyone, including me. Dig around and get the correct info for your specifics.

I have and entertainment lawyer in LA and we have another in NY...handles the copyrights. Have a Trademark attorney in NY who costs a fortune, and he also handle patents.

Get some opinions on-forum, but ultimately? Do your own research for referrals from agencies involved like the US PATENT OFFICE and other in International Registries.

Good luck.

**CAPITOL C circled? Copyright
**CAPITOL R circled? Registered
**CAPITOL T circled? Trademark (registered)
Printed: PATENT PENDING-Patents
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
First, it's not a free energy device.

Second, I've done several searches in the patent libraries.

I've googled.

I've binged.

Oh it's not a recipe for my special cookies either.

It's rather cool. Just exploring the next step.

I have a rough schematic, and could probably get a working model done in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the input though.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We've discussed this Beez... you cannot patent bacon.

As far as attorneys go? I have only dealt with a divorce attorney and, honest to God, if you need one of those my best advice is to hire the one my ex wife had. He was GOOD.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I don't want to patent bacon, I just want to see about bacon-like patents!

baa-acon. . . . .

*drool*

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
In the past I have entered several different concepts to a design/engineering contest

contest.techbriefs.com...

Have done so for several years in a row now. But the contest isn't for 6-7 months. (the 2013 competition)

So I'm itching to get a working model and get it going!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

These are the guys my dad went through before he passed way. Id ask him some patent SOP questions, but I cant now
All I do recall is that is was hellaciously expensive with certain research ( for safety I think) before it was patented. I have NO idea where you are now, but these guys are in Memphis Tn...

Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
1715 Aaron Brenner Drive Memphis, TN 3812

He tried to go the pro se route, but there was just too much involved with his particular thing that he needed an atty.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
well isn't a patent written down.

a recipe can be copyrighted and can't be used without your permission.

and you don't have to be so specific.

write your invention down on paper and copyright that so you have legal precedent that your idea was first and you don't divulge sensitive info that could be used in china for example, who don't give a flying squirrel about american patents.

its all about who can prove their idea was first so you can sue.

if i write a publication describing my invention and copyright it, a person can't just take my idea, use the information, mass produce it and start selling it as his own.

how it works could be easily found out by taking it apart and duplicating it afterwards relatively easy.

there's no need to give away everything with a patent.

how many patents just sit there with DOD taking what they need and classifying it top secret in the interest of "national security".

and you won't see a penny.

edit on 28-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

**CAPITOL C circled? Copyright
**CAPITOL R circled? Registered
**CAPITOL T circled? Trademark (registered)

Cap C circled is copyright - anyone can assert a copyright and place that mark on it if it is published in any way.

Cap R circled is trademark that has been registered with the USPTO.

"SM" means "service mark", which is a trademark for a service rather than a product in its unregistered form. Registered, it gets the circled R.

Cap T means nothing, circled or otherwise (Actually "TM" is commonly used when it is unregistered)

Cap K means Kosher

Now I'm hungry.

edit on 28-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
reply to post by beezzer

These are the guys my dad went through before he passed way. Id ask him some patent SOP questions, but I cant now
All I do recall is that is was hellaciously expensive with certain research ( for safety I think) before it was patented. I have NO idea where you are now, but these guys are in Memphis Tn...

Wyatt Tarrant & Combs LLP
1715 Aaron Brenner Drive Memphis, TN 3812

He tried to go the pro se route, but there was just too much involved with his particular thing that he needed an atty.

Good luck!

Thank you! It's a start!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join