It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Any particular reason you used peak ground acceleration, as opposed to peak ground velocity?

Or is the nomenclature wrong? (You used the accelerometer channel, HNZ)

EDIT: ok, thanks, fair enough.

edit on Fri Feb 8th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Pretty deep one here:

M4.7 - 140km NNW of Labuhankananga, Indonesia
2013-02-09 02:16:56 UTC
Depth=598.0km (371.6mi)
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Kind of close to the Solomon Island series, does it signify anything?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The variations in the N channel are not as great as the H channel. At least with the N channel people can get a picture of what is there. If I set all to the same scale and use the H channel then if you can see the Mag 8 you cannot see the rest.

Mag 8 on H channel

And now the 25th at the same visual scale

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I had to do it

heres is a graph of NZ earthquake events covering part of the timeline of the Santa Cruz series

see how that clump of activity starts approx 5 minutes after the 7.9 (8.0) at SCIs
a couple of the other 4's are not too far away from the mag 6's up there too.

either SeisComp3 is shadowing Santa Cruz activity
or
the quakes up there are triggering events here.

I'm not sure how long it takes Geonet to review the post-Sept 2012 data, it could be days, weeks or months.
but interesting none the less though eh

edit: did a depth graph and whatdayaknow, that matches too

edit on 8-2-2013 by muzzy because: fixed it

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I just read on our local news that cracks are opening up and steam is coming out of the ground
RE santa cruze islands.
Is that normal:wow
They are sending in a special team.
edit on 9-2-2013 by my1percent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipIntro

No worries ,i don't know how to link .
But i knew some one else would
1%

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Oh holy cow, yeah, those cracks sure do sound ominous. If I recall correctly, isn't there a volcano to the NW or NNW of the island, though? I wonder if this could have any significant or detrimental impact on that volcano, assuming these cracks are related to it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Found this link which I'll assume is the nearest volcano

www.volcanolive.com...

It's 40 km away though - could it be opening a new vent from that distance or is this purely ground/stress related?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Just in Colombia , though USGS has it at 6.9

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Magnitude Mw 7.0
Region COLOMBIA
Date time 2013-02-09 14:16:03.0 UTC
Location 1.08 N ; 77.34 W
Depth 92 km
Distances 191 km NE Quito (pop 1,399,814 ; local time 09:16:03.5 2013-02-09)
27 km SE Sandoná (pop 10,401 ; local time 09:16:03.5 2013-02-09)
16 km SW Pasto (pop 382,236 ; local time 09:16:03.5 2013-02-09)
7 km E Tangua (pop 3,348 ; local time 09:16:03.5 2013-02-09)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Yup it is the nearest.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Twisting and turning. Now Colombia - opposite Santa Cruz. Round and round goes the Pacific Plate.

Geofon have 6.9 by the way: geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

Columbia and then California - slip the San Andreas a little and then Cascadia? Well I hope not, but the way things are going 21 December 2012 looks like it is happening slowly - it was the start of the end of the world after all.

edit on 9/2/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor
Found this link which I'll assume is the nearest volcano

www.volcanolive.com...

It's 40 km away though - could it be opening a new vent from that distance or is this purely ground/stress related?

I asked this questions a few pages back and nobody seemed to care... so maybe I am right assuming it is volcanic activity... if so, this vulcano could be easily triggerd with this quakes or even is the trigger for this quakes

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Was that before or after my post?

Before it, then I answered, after it then you missed the answer.

We do care, we don't always answer however if a thread is moving fast.

Oh BTW I don't think this is in any way volcanic as the magnitudes are way too big, but it may well set the volcano off.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by aLLeKs

Was that before or after my post?

Before it, then I answered, after it then you missed the answer.

We do care, we don't always answer however if a thread is moving fast.

Oh BTW I don't think this is in any way volcanic as the magnitudes are way too big, but it may well set the volcano off.

editby]edit on 9/2/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

In light of this latest stinky steam incident, and as I was looking at the seismos that you posted last night, I was thinking that one or two ares looked like they could be harmonic

However, I did not post this thought because everyone often asks this question,including myself.

Could it be??
edit on 9-2-2013 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2013 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2013 by radpetey because: Was very stoned in highschool grammer class!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I was noticing that as well, actually there was a 4.7 out of Northern Sumatra at 2:50 am UTC which is almost exactly Antipodal of Columbia . www.antipodemap.com... When those who scoffed at the whole 2012 Dec 21st thing, I thought to myself, well things are not going to happen in one day but what if it is the beginning of the major changes to come? Changes that we have never seen in our short time on this planet. Certainly has been an uptick in major movement since then, just my observation, i guess we will have to wait and see what happens next. By the way is that earthquake (1.143°N 77.362°W depth=129.3km (80.3mi)) not almost right on top of the Galeras volcano located at: toolserver.org...:mountain

Move the map at the top to where the latest or earthquake that you want to see the antipodal position of seems to default on its own.
edit on 9-2-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

(You have a tag error somewhere.)

I have to admit that I was tempted to think the same myself looking at the long drawn out trace on some of them but SANVU is over 500km from the centre of the quake activity, and there is no way that HT could possibly register at that distance.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21

By the way is that earthquake (1.143°N 77.362°W depth=129.3km (80.3mi)) not almost right on top of the Galeras volcano located at: toolserver.org...¶ms=1_13_0_N_77_22_0_W_type:mountain

Well spotted Sir!

That might wake it up a bit!

PS. I think it was under it and not on top of it

Probably not a good on to shake up

Galeras (Urcunina among the 16th-century indigenous people) is an Andean stratovolcano in the Colombian department of Nariño, near the departmental capital Pasto. Its summit rises 4,276 metres (14,029 ft) above sea level. It has erupted frequently since the Spanish conquest, with its first historical eruption being recorded on December 7, 1580.[2] A 1993 eruption killed nine people, including six scientists who had descended into the volcano's crater to sample gases.[3] It is currently the most active volcano in Colombia.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by radpetey

(You have a tag error somewhere.)

I have to admit that I was tempted to think the same myself looking at the long drawn out trace on some of them but SANVU is over 500km from the centre of the quake activity, and there is no way that HT could possibly register at that distance.

My life is a tag error

Anyway, very good then. I will move on and not ponder such things even a second longer.

Thank you sir!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

By the way, I am not sir (I would put avatar up, but they never display properly for me) and I really enjoy the discussions on this thread and I usually sit back and take it all in; but also enjoy doing a little analysis myself. Thanks to all who work hard to submit extensive data and analysis of quakes as they occur this is shaping up to be a very interesting year so far.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join