It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Necessary? The Local P.D. Patrolling In a Hummer!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is crazy! The local P.D. In my town is now patrolling the streets in a Hummer. The got it for "free" from some program where they get military surplus equipment. According to this press release it is supposed to be used to get around in bad weather conditions. Well, today the roads were dry as a bone, and I saw it patrolling! Sorry, no pics, but it did happen!! What do those things get like 5 miles to the gallon? I don't care if it didn't cost anything, the amount of extra cash it will burn in gas during it's service life surely costs the tax payers here more. Just in time to enforce the coming gun bans I guess...
edit on 19-12-2012 by Frettin because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2012 by Frettin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

Time for you and the rest of the tax payers in your town to go and raise some serious hell with your towns politicians don't you think????

People are only victims if they allow themselves to be!

On the other side, did this vehicle come from arresting someone for illegal narcotics?? It seems to be the newest fad for law enforcement to steal everything one may own if they are caught with illegal drugs......

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It is getting to the point where just about nothing makes any sense these days.

Oh, I miss the good old days......

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Little boys have little toys that just annoy people. Big boys that never matured have BIG toys that kill people. Welcome to the new Disunited States under Homeland Insecurity...where even Barney can get a grant for a main battle tank.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Well, they said it came from a program where they get military surplus equipment. So if you pay taxes in America, they indirectly got it from YOU! (and me)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Frettin

On the other side, did this vehicle come from arresting someone for illegal narcotics?? It seems to be the newest fad for law enforcement to steal everything one may own if they are caught with illegal drugs......

He talked about a military surplus program so I assume it's an HMMWV and not a consumer "Hummer"...

But yea OP... You can expect that thing to get about 4-5 MPG city and maybe 10-12 MPG highway if they're lucky. Our county Sheriff's Department has taken to using a six wheeled, armored personnel carrier at nearly all residential drug busts. Not because it's needed... But to (in their words) "make a presence".

Just last week they made an 80+ mile (one way) trip in it to raid a home in a small town with a population under 700. They ended up with five arrests and one third of an ounce of Methamphetamine. /sigh
edit on 12/19/2012 by Lorienth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lorienth

Yeah this thing is the real deal. It's literally a Humvee from the Army. I removed the link, because I thought the spike in traffic to their website might draw some unwanted attention my way. Whatever, this is getting bad. Military vechicles are patrolling our streets, and people STILL have not woken up! Why is there ever any surplus in the military?? Maybe they should get on net 90 payments terms with the contractors to make sure they don't waste our money on # they don't need. BTW, I drive a Honda CRV and navigate fine in bad weather on these roads lol!!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I really am confused.

On the one hand it's OK and a right for an ordinary citizen of the USA to own a military style automatic rifle. I guess being militia is everyones role.

BUT

The police are going over board if they drive a hummer.

????

Whats going on over there, are you lot ok?? *puts hand on US forehead*

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

At no time should the civilian police force ever be better armed than the citizens it polices.

Reminds me of that town in Arkansas strolling around in full battle rattle demanding people's ID and reason for travel. papiere, bitte!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

No it's not ok for us to own military style automatic rifles. That's the problem. They are the ones that have them... and hummers, drones, you name it. Now they want us to just have bolt-action rifles, because semi autos are "weapons of mass destruction". They are disarming us, while arming themselves and everyone else on our dime. We have semi-automatic rifles, not automatic, unless you jump through a bunch of hoops and have about $10,000 to blow. "Military style" what does that even mean? George Carlin is laughing at you in his grave.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Frettin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Frettin

That's been going on since the 80's.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

Frogs. Pots. Slowing turning up the heat till the water boils.

That's how they're doing it to us. Slow conditioning. Getting the people used to seeing militarized police as part of everyday life. Nazi Amerika. Got your papers? (at gunpoint)

edit on Tue Jan 8th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

join