It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French psychiatrist sentenced for a murder her PATIENT comitted. The patient was deemed not responsi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The French must be totally insane; they've locked up a psychiatrist for a murder comitted by one of her patients. They say she should have been more agressive in her care and should have had him comitted. The patient by the way was not found responsible for the killing and was freed under medical supervision.

French psychiatrist sentenced after patient commits murder

A French psychiatrist whose patient hacked an elderly man to death was found guilty of manslaughter on Tuesday in a groundbreaking case that could affect the way patients are treated.

A court in Marseilles said Daniele Canarelli, 58, had committed a "grave error" by failing to recognize the public danger posed by Joel Gaillard, her patient of four years.

Gaillard hacked to death 80-year-old Germain Trabuc with an axe in March 2004 in Gap, in the Alps region of southeastern France, 20 days after fleeing a consultation with Canarelli at Marseilles's Edouard Toulouse hospital.

Canarelli was handed a one-year prison sentence and ordered to pay 8,500 euros to the victim's children, in the first case of its kind in France. Defense lawyers said the ruling would have serious repercussions for treatment of the mentally ill.

The court said Canarelli should have requested Gaillard be placed in a specialized medical unit or referred him to another medical team, as one of her colleagues suggested. Her stubborn refusal had equated to a form of "blindness", the court president Fabrice Castoldi said.

Yahoo news

The Italians lock up scientists for not predicting earthquakes and now this. I guess that's what people get for not being psychic in Europe.

This will either scare people out of the profession or force them to commit darn near everyone to keep themselves from being held liable for the actions of their patients. If people know that they are likely to be involuntarily comitted if they go to see a psychiatrist, they will be less likely to seek out care.

I can't see anything good coming from this legal prescedent.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The Europeans sure get everything right.

Too bad we cling to personal responsibility and rugged individualism.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

So what's next? If a doctor tells his/her patient that if they don't take their cholesterol medication they will have a heart attack and the patient still doesn't take it and has a massive coronary and dies will the doctor be held liable in a civil suit because they didn't restrain said patient and force the medication on them intraveiniously?

This kind of court decision opens up all kinds of cans of worms!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

What is the problem with that. We now have laws that say if you do not get your child inoculated it can be taken away and put in care as you are a bad parent and the Nanny State knows best so yes, your scenario is very possible.

Your child can be refused a place in school if no inoculated. All sorts of tricks are used to get Big Pharma Big Bucks and make sure the RFID is firmly embedded.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You are deciding to bash who here when you say "The French", French people in general or Reps of the French Government or justice environment? (or however you spell that, can't be buggered to google tonight!)

Come to France, Live in Frane... Like all the Brit Bashers... Come to the UK, live in the UK.... GOOGLE DIFFERENT CULTURES before putting forward what might look like spiteful and bitter words and feelings please.

Can certain people who post threads not have a little time to sit down and think before sending out messages that might sound or read a little bit better?

Warmest regards

Rodinus

Sorry for being snotty but i am knackered after a day spent with my father in law who has just gone through hiws first day of Chemo and cannot be arsed with haters.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Sorry about that, when I refer to "the French", I am referring to the government and the court system over there. I'm sure the people are all good folks who are rightfully disgusted by a lot of what their government does in their names, just like us here in the US.

Stories like this show that, no matter how far we think our nation has fallen, there is still a bit of way left to go before we catch up with our European brothers. Our gubment is doing its best to catch us up fast but, at least we have a ways to go before things get that crazy (I hope).

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
i think this is a good move. if physchiatrists want to delve into the area of mental illness , they should be responsible for making sure their diagnosis is correct . second opinions , peer review or something. its not like if they screw up at work they will only burn a few burgers.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The onle reason this happened is because those who control the medical industry like to have maximum power over their experiments. And she wasn't playing the game, so they made an example of her.

Now the other doctors have been sent a clear message to "play the game".

"If a psychiatrist lives in fear of being sentenced, it will have very real consequences and probably lead to harsher treatment of patients," said Canarelli's lawyer, Sylvain Pontier.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
So a self professed "expert" who charges by the hour, screws up and someone else dies. Gets punished.

Sound like common sense to me.

join