It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Living in Space and Medical Emergencies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Purpose
  • For astronauts living in space, coping with medical emergencies far from a hospital or trained doctor can be a difficult and dangerous task. During future missions to the moon and Mars, crewmembers' health and mission success will depend upon their ability to deal with these emergencies with the help of a doctor on Earth. This challenge is the focus of an upcoming NASA Extreme Environment Mission Operations expedition, NEEMO 7.

Summary
    5 astronauts, 2 of them engineers by practice and 3 of them family doctors, were transported 19 meters below the earths surface (They were sent down in a body of water somewhere around Florida)

They were sent to work on a medical dummy, that used to train surgeons.
  • The dummy is a non descript beige block that stimulates the human body

The 5 were assisted by surgeons who communicated with the group from other locations some 2500 km away, to perform various operations (transplants, etc). The members were aided with a robotic instrument that the surgeon controlled.

All members were successful in accomplishing the task.

Extra Readings -->visit following sites
    www.space.gc.ca...
    electronics.howstuffworks.com...
    spaceflight1.nasa.gov...
    www.uncw.edu...
    www.space.gc.ca...

Closing Comments
    This is all good news and shows some great accomplishments in the space sector.

• posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:49 PM
    link   
    This is good.

I have wondered myself about something like that on a trip to Mars.

I think they said it would be a two year trip and it seems that they would HAVE to have a doctor among the crew. A trip to the moon would not be as dangerous because it just takes a few days at most.

Interesting

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:55 PM
    link   
    I heard, don't know if its true. But anyways i heard that an astraunant was up in space for like 5 years on a mission and got really sick somethign to do with his muscles like acting really wierd but anyways ya.....

new topics

join