It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A series of work/employment related questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So I haven't been here for a while, in fact I think it's been a year since I left. I didn't comment much in that time, so my name probably means nothing. But please hear me out, I need your help. You see, I was given an assignment for school (specific class- AP Language and Composition, I don't believe it either...) to create a mini-documentary on anything as long as it pertains to work/employment. Now while everyone else up and went outside to interview people, I stayed inside since the sun scares me and I get lost easily in crowds. So in a fit of worrisome doubt that I'll actually finish this, I turned to the internet.

A certain bible quote sprung into my head once I started: "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" -Psalms 23:4. I'm agnostic, and I found myself praying. Omegle made me question any faith I had left in humanity, and no one has yet to answer anything on Yahoo Answers. But wait, I remembered an old haven I used to lurk, and the good folks at it. Why yes, I'm talking about you, the good people of ATS! I can only hope you haven't changed much since I left, since I am in desperate need of some quality answers. But I see the same paranoia is still rampant, so I’m going to try and keep these questions as impersonal as I can and as short as I can while still getting something I can use. But there is always some personal part. Anyway, here they are:

1. Are you currently employed?
a. If no, have you ever been employed in the past?
i. If yes, then what caused you to lose your job?
I. If no, then why not?

b. If yes to question 1, what as?
i. What is your typical day like?
ii. When you first entered this job, were there any unexpected benefits or hardships?
iii. How did you come by this job? (Knowing someone there, simple job-hunting, etc.)

c. If neither yes or no, then please elaborate. (Self-employment, freelance work)

2. Only 63.6% of Americans are currently working or seeking work. What is the other 36.4% doing? (www.washingtonpost.com...)

3. At what point does a job turn into a career?

4. Can a hobby become a career and vice-versa?

5. If you work with children, what does it feel like to go to work after the Connecticut shootings?

6. Finally, working hard or hardly working?

Thank you for your time.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I would love to help you out,but since this is a conspiracy site and sometimes people don't want to give out such personal details of their life I can be minimal in my response.
I have worked for at least 30 years,at first agricultural,then fast food,then the rest in a technical career.
Now,get off you butt and go interview some people to get yourself over this fear of the sun and people.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by insanedr4gon

I can't answer your questions as such but I was litterally just thing about writing a post about about the conspiracy of work so this caught my eye!

I worked hard for many years until one day I snapped and decided I was not going to do it any more.

I still work but now I do it my terms, no boss, no quotas or reviews no harrasment, resentment ect.

Right now I am poor but happy. My life is in my own hands and the "work" that I do benifits me. No shareholder takes his cut, no manager questions my work.

Before I was able to earn just enough money to be able to afford to do it all again next week and I was miserable.

The funny thing is that everyone around me said I was wrong to do what I did but secretly they all admit they wish they were strong enough to do the same.

Also many tribal cultures have no word for work it's an invention not a necessity.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
1. Are you currently employed?

YES, at an ethanol plant.

b. If yes to question 1, what as?
i. What is your typical day like?

I deal with many people, I have to multitask constantly with listening skills and people skills. I take in corn trucks, test corn and let them go dump, and when they come back give them their scale ticket, all while loading feed trucks and listening on the CB, answer phones, deal with other customers in person, do paperwork, enforce rules (by monitoring the security cameras) along with whatever else may come along.

ii. When you first entered this job, were there any unexpected benefits or hardships?

I was a very shy person, and this was all very difficult for me at the beginning. I have become a different person because of this job! (smiles) I love who I have become because of this job. I was shy and introverted, but now I have confidence and can express myself and not be afraid.(I've learned to be firm (bossy) in a nice, pleasant way and I like it). I've learned how to be CONFIDENT.

I have become a happy person, who can make a grumpiest person smile and chuckle, and that in return makes me feel even better.

iii. How did you come by this job? (Knowing someone there, simple job-hunting, etc.)

Job hunting/prior experience.

2. Only 63.6% of Americans are currently working or seeking work. What is the other 36.4% doing? (www.washingtonpost.com...)

Unemployed because they either gave up, or learned how to live off the system (OR BOTH...I have a friend who is doing this...). Some places there just aren't enough jobs though. Too much experience, not enough experience, People who WANT to work but can't, illegal aliens working for less pay,
ALL OF THE ABOVE.REASONS

3. At what point does a job turn into a career?

When it is what you KNOW you will stick with in the following years, and will seek future jobs in related work.

4. Can a hobby become a career and vice-versa?

Yes, definitely on both.

6. Finally, working hard or hardly working?

Working hard, even when I'm hardly working. It's called DEDICATION. There are days/weeks when work is slower, but my mind is still FULLY plugged in to my job while I am there during the day. So, even when I am hardly working, I am STILL working hard.

Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. And thank you too, for making me think about it, and appreciate what I have

edit on 18-12-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by insanedr4gon

I will try and help. I work in healthcare, and my current workplace is going through changes. My horrible State of NC is throwing old people out on the street because of new regulations regarding Medicare and Medicaid. There are changes being made in Assisted Living. By December 31st we will only have 6 residents left in the building. We then will switch over to Total Care as in a Rest Home. My hours have been cut to 24 a week. I cannot survive on these hours and do not have the time or money to wait on the business to switch over. I am going to a full time job interview in the morning. I plan on keeping my 24 hour part time and working another full time job.

The residents that are being asked to move out are very upset. By the State of NC they are independent and do not qualify for assisted living. Some of these people have no-where to go. I attempted to help them by writing letters to Government Officials but had no response.

This is not the Career I planned for! Back in Sept-2006 I was going to work for US Customs and Border Patrol. I was attacked and taken from a bridge in Charleston, West Virginia, and put on another Bridge about 1 or 2 miles from where I was located. I was found walking around in shock and had to return to NC. I fell back on my Nursing Lic for survival. My healthcare job was suppose to be a secondary employment skill. Healthcare is now my main source of income.

Jobs are very hard to come by in NC. Teenagers are not even able to find work. Most jobs pay such low wages that the average American cannot make it without 2 jobs.

I have worked in past jobs- 911 Communications, Medic, Cashier, Waitress and Nurse.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I knew that I may not get anything on this site when I made the thread, but was hoping I may get some small nibble better than what I got on other sites. And that small bit you gave me can help in more ways than one, thank you for it. I went over to a local Walgreens and asked the cashiers and stock people there if they had the time for an quick interview. I had to wait half an hour and received some weird looks, but got a pharmacist when they got off work.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

Interesting, so you jumped out of the system and made it work? Even when the people around you resented your actions? It sounds like you broke a some sort of taboo by doing so, thus causing the backlash from everyone else. Very interesting that they did it, rather than support your decision and justification for doing so.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

So the job actually changed who you were? While in your case this may have resulted in unforeseen improvements of personality, could the same process occur to have the opposite effect?

Would your job right now a career?

I never would have thought merely working could have that dramatic a change in someone. I'm pretty shy, and I doubt I would ever be able to break out of my bubble except for when the situation calls for it and even then interaction with people would be kept at a minimum. It's nice to hear a story like yours, how something some people take for granted could completely usurp a personality to replace it with an improved one that meets the job requirements.

I'm glad I could could revive your appreciation for work, It's nice when little things like this have those effects.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

So, any reason NC is just up-heaving people from their homes (though I suspect the answer is the same one as always: money)? It's heartwarming to hear that you care enough about them to voice your opinion against these vile actions, and aren't instead just trying to ignore it all like so many other people.

Wow, you've worked in all those places? I see one common theme among them all, people. Is it safe to say you don't mind working with people, and may even enjoy doing it? Any stories about the characters you must meet on a daily basis.

Thank you for responding.

top topics

join