It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Pro-Gun stance: Was it wrong?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
OP, the only thing that has happened in 4 years that I know of which has positively effected the rights of gun owners has been the LACK of anything being done.....NOT positive action. By that, I mean the BLM hasn't pursued some bans on lead bullets on public land shooting areas and things of that nature. There was a favorable ruling about CCW on Federal land. Thank GOD for that one though because it was a total NIGHTMARE otherwise. Imagine, for one minute, how many interstate highways cross federal land, if only briefly? Each crossing would have made the CCW come under a different jurisdiction. THAT, I believe, was finalized under Obama.

However, I don't know that the whole premise here isn't false to begin with because I don't know a single, solid thing Obama has said or done that is pro-gun in any form. At most, he's said the words necessary to meet min. requirements not to outright offend gun owners.......but even that goes clear out the window in his Illinois statements while in Office.

Obama pro-gun? I simply don't know any item that indicates that in any way.

You seem to know too much about gun ownership for something as significant as Obama's legacy of Pro-guns on public land and Amtrak to simply be off of your radar. I think you are being disingenuous.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

Because with or without his signature it would be passed anyway. It doesnt expire in 10 days its passed into law after 10 days. The only way he can veto it is if congress doesnt override his veto. Which since it was a small biull packed into a larger bill it would have been passed.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

Because with or without his signature it would be passed anyway. It doesnt expire in 10 days its passed into law after 10 days. The only way he can veto it is if congress doesnt override his veto. Which since it was a small biull packed into a larger bill it would have been passed.

You are making the rather huge assumption that this would have passed before congress was out of session. The vast majority of bills that are veto'd do not become laws.

EDIT: Regardless.

He SIGNED it.

It didn't expire on his been and become a law. He signed (supported) the bill. This isn't rocket science, nor are we discussing ONE bill. This was separate instances, my friend.
edit on 18-12-2012 by DoYouEvenLift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Oh yeah, that's right. It was buried in the Credit Card Act of 2009

From wikipedia:

The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 or Credit CARD Act of 2009 is a federal statute passed by the United States Congress and signed by President Barack Obama on May 22, 2009. It is comprehensive credit card reform legislation that aims "...to establish fair and transparent practices relating to the extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, and for other purposes."[1] The bill was passed with bipartisan support by both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

So weird how they can stick completely unrelated legislation into the middle of something else.

So actually, it was less a "pro-gun stance" and more of "we really need this other stuff, so go ahead and let it thru".

I'd bet a dollar he would never ever have signed it as a "stand alone" bill.

edit on 18-12-2012 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack

Oh yeah, that's right. It was buried in the Credit Card Act of 2009

From wikipedia:

The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 or Credit CARD Act of 2009 is a federal statute passed by the United States Congress and signed by President Barack Obama on May 22, 2009. It is comprehensive credit card reform legislation that aims "...to establish fair and transparent practices relating to the extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, and for other purposes."[1] The bill was passed with bipartisan support by both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

So weird how they can stick completely unrelated legislation into the middle of something else.

So actually, it was less a "pro-gun stance" and more of "we really need this other stuff, so go ahead and let it thru".

I'd bet a dollar he would never ever have signed it as a "stand alone" bill.

edit on 18-12-2012 by tjack because: (no reason given)

I guess I am of the opinion that we should hold our politicians to higher standards. If someone puts his name to something, he should be responsible for it.

What level do you hold your public officials to? Seems a bit silly to hold Obama to little things in other bills but not something that benefits Pro-Gun legislature.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well, I'm not aware of him being pro-gun on much of anything, so I'd love to see links on what you've referenced.

What I have found in searching has Obama neutral with carefully chosen words or corrections on 'inartful' or mis-spoken words by his staff and aides in the past. I might feel a bit better if I read something about actual positive action he's taken to see rights respected or expanded where they hadn't been before.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here's some more facts for this topic.

Link to PDF of original bill, Credit Card Act of 2009, that had a little part tucked way down at the bottom allowing carry in federal parks: Credit Card Act of 2009
look for section 512

And now in fact, some are trying to repeal that one little part of the bill: HR 4603

My guess is he (Obama) didn't even read the whole thing and it got sneaked in "under the radar". Again, not a "pro-gun" stance at all.

edit on 18-12-2012 by tjack because: deleted snarky comment

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

Also, you can use common logic.

Example:

You are going to rob a store, or shoot up a place. But you know every single person in that store, or place has a gun on their hip.... Are you still going to do it?

An armed citizen is a protected citizen.

Honestly, its a cycle that has repeated itself though history. People who can defend their lifestyle are more free, and happier than those who cannot.

Please take no offense, but we can also use real world examples. Adam Lanza's mother owned guns...even got expert training on how to use them...and she was the first person he murdered...with her own gun.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Thanks for confirming that I'im not the only person with half a brain. I agree with you. as a stand alone he wouldn't even look at it. Try telling that to the Obamatrons though they respond with something along the lines "HE signed it HE is the LORD"

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Obama never had a pro gun stance. He just put it on the back burner till after he won the second term and/or went around Congress by getting the UN Small Arms Treaty.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Obama is neither pro nor anti gun.
Odd thread.

reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

LOL. Please illustrate how the UN Small Arms Treaty circumvents the Second Amendment.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join