It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point of the God debate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm not saying that debating the existence of God is meaningless for personal reasons. People continually debate the God topic and for what reason? Do people get into a debate to change someones mind? Rarely do people change their minds from being out smarted. If you know that the other person(s) are not going to change their mind and the debates are always the same old topics, why bother?

Debates on God seem like competition of egos or pride, whatever you want to call the concept of being right.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think there are situations when a mind can be changed. But the mind has to be open in the first place. Most of the time, when a person won't budge from their position despite how logical the other side's argument is, it's because their mind isn't open to change - they'd rather live in denial than admit they were wrong and re-examine their beliefs.
You see this among the religious and the non-religious alike.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

The point is to show that my God is better then your God...And if you don't have a God... Then you are inferior to those who do...

Sounds about right

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Ralphy

The point is to show that my God is better then your God...And if you don't have a God... Then you are inferior to those who do...

Sounds about right

It basically boils down to that, yeah.

It's a superiority game.

""Woohoo, God loves me, I love God.. I'm so much better than you""

Only, there is no God so you look like a noodle to me lol

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The Truth points it itself.

God needs no defender.

We will all know in time.

Those lost will be found.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
The Truth points it itself.

God needs no defender.

We will all know in time.

Those lost will be found.

Lazarus, I respect your beliefs, but this does not address the point of this thread. It was meant as a personal question.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

Lazarus, I respect your beliefs, but this does not address the point of this thread. It was meant as a personal question.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

I think it does, just think outside the debate box. All lost will be found, and maybe in a "God" vs "no God" debate. A creation vs evolution helped to turn me around.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
As I also respect but have to disagree with his or her beliefs, it does kind of prove the point of it being a superiority game..

Those that disbelieve are "lost" or the losers, or somehow confused but they of course are not, they are saved and therefore "superior" to us "lost" ones.

Psychologically it's fascinating to watch

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Believe it or not, minds do get changed here occasionally. My mind has changed on a few topics. Admittedly, I haven't changed my mind about God, but my convictions as an atheist have deepened because of some of the debates had here.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

I can appreciate your personal thoughts. That was my goal for this thread, to get people to think outside the box.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I debate in religious and god posts because I find it fascinating to watch the battle of Faith Vs Logic..

Which is stronger?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Even Spock admitted that logic was only the beginning of wisdom...

Faith is like the one and only time I visited the Mall of the Americas in Minneapolis with my daughter. We entered a large outer corridor, and I sensed, but did not yet see, a huge space around the corner. Once we turned that corner, I was blown away by the recreation area we entered - it was big enough for a large Ferris wheel.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I think it is a hotly debated topic because there is a lot at stake.

More than just a bruised ego.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by Ralphy

Believe it or not, minds do get changed here occasionally. My mind has changed on a few topics. Admittedly, I haven't changed my mind about God, but my convictions as an atheist have deepened because of some of the debates had here.

Right. And, I love coming up with new ways to debunk the gods.

Truth be told, though, I have moved my position of atheist to the possibility (yet very high improbability) of an Intelligent designer. Not a god, never a god (that perfect, all-knowing and all-powerful nonsense), but an intelligent species that seeded the earth, or a scientist in another realm working on an experiment that created us in a petri dish, or that the galaxies in this universe are cells that make up a larger body (just like the cells that make up our bodies).

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

We're in a very similar place then. I don't have a problem with outside intervention as a possibility for our existence, but as you say, "Not a god, never a god". This is why I maintain I am still an atheist. Because true to the strictest sense of the word, I lack belief in a god. That doesn't preclude me from seeing other possibilities.

Some may see that as semantics, but I see a distinct line there.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wah, and I thought God didn't exist. Nice meeting you Mister_Bit. Jiggerj, your avatar begins to realy impress me.

top topics

join