It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tweeters 'could be military targets'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Tweeters 'could be military targets'

www.theage.com.au< br />

Social media users whose use tweets and online posts to comment on a military operation could be regarded as legitimate military targets.

Australian army Land Warfare Studies Centre analyst Chloe Diggins on Thursday said a recent social media war between Israel and Hamas raised complex ethical questions about who was a combatant and therefore a legitimate military target.

A key question was whether such comments constituted an act of war.

"If that's the case, this might mean that those using social media in support of military operations are now legitimate targets," she wrote in a
(visit the link for the full news article)

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
To all the tweeters out there, you have been warned

On a more serious note, if this is true this is the next step in using threatening rhetoric for the use of censorship, and even worse if they actually act out on it.

I am not from Australia so I am not aware how reliable this source is but it looks like any other mainstream outlet to me.

Also from the source:

The Geneva Convention defines legitimate military targets as objects "which by their nature, location, purpose or use make an effective contribution to military action and whose total or partial destruction, capture or neutralisation, in the circumstances ruling at the time, offers a definite military advantage".

The convention protects civilians unless they are taking a direct part in hostilities.

"So if social media operators or users engage in the conflict by uploading, downloading, sharing, or otherwise adding to content in any way, they then become actors contributing to hostilities," Ms Diggins said.

Most of ATS may now be considered a valid target if these policies were to be put into place. Hopefully nothing will ever come of this because this is absolutely ridiculous!

www.theage.com.au< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/13/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
In every way, every day, this world goes to abyss.
In my opinion solution is very simple.
Shut off two major social networks... Facebook and Twitter.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just saw a rocket overhead. #LOL_Hamas_Burgers #DontMessWithZohan #WhiteFlag
edit on 13-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
imagine the fun at HQ when the order comes from the top:

POTUS directive, take out Crakeur immediately.

Um, who?

Crakeur, corporal, the guy who's been tweeting about alien invasions

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I dont know about the rest of you, i dont foresee a situation in the near future where my country will be occupied by a foreign army. Further to that, I dont believe I would be supplying Intel that would putting my countrymen/women in danger. So I don’t think I would have anything to worry about.

I think this policy is targeted to the middle eastern theatre of operation…

However, I do share some concerns of how far such policies could extend to the home front. Questioning government action via twitter all of a sudden turns you into a military target?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Of course you could be a 'target' if you post things that could lead to violence, in any way, shape or form.

If I was to arrange over the Internet the assassination of a top politician, I could be in a serious amount of trouble, even with the current laws.

This is basically putting it in print, for all of us to see.

They have good reason to crack-down on serious offenders in the various wars over the world, on all fronts, and this is one of them.

Now they will move into actually monitoring these public forums, under the knowledge of the people.

It was always bound to happen, and, if you ask me, the more people that are caught instigating actual and legally defined violence or illegal activities, the better.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

However, I do share some concerns of how far such policies could extend to the home front. Questioning government action via twitter all of a sudden turns you into a military target?

I don't think it's about questioning Government, more so about catching those who are inciting violence and supporting/planning terrorism.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
In every way, every day, this world goes to abyss.
In my opinion solution is very simple.
Shut off two major social networks... Facebook and Twitter.

I have a FaceBook account that I rarely use, and I believe I have a Twitter account that I never use...(forgot the login and password) but I don't believe the solution is to shut these sites down. I know it may sound like I am defending these sites, but I am not as they are used to mine data.

But to get rid of social networking would stop the flow of information that we would normally not hear about such as reports you will not hear about from the media from people on the frontlines.

A lot of breaking news is first seen/heard on Twitter. There should be outrage over the fact that they are considering certain tweeters to be military targets.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Time to rename the planet Earth, PRISON PLANET 2012...............seems rather fitting...

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
After doing another read through, I found myself sticking on this excerpt:

"So if social media operators or users engage in the conflict by uploading, downloading, sharing, or otherwise adding to content in any way, they then become actors contributing to hostilities

How does one know if something will contribute to hostilities? I can post a picture saying Americans love Justin Bieber and that could insight hostilities.

Very open ended statement that has me concerned.

The inability to comment, upload, download, share opinions or what have you on violence/war related issues is troubling indeed.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You do realize that most people on this website are too dumb to contribute anything, tactically or otherwise, to anyone...right? They are referring to the spread of tactical information through social media websites. I have never seen anything close to "solid intelligence" on this site and I don't believe I ever will. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this if I were you.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Originally posted by MDDoxs

I don't think it's about questioning Government, more so about catching those who are inciting violence and supporting/planning terrorism.

I disagree, I believe this is an attempt to suppress whistleblowers and general exposure of government corruption and the actions they commit that they don't want us knowing about. How dare we spread the news of what is happening in our world

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Once precdence exists, situations like this can become a slippery slope, verryyy slippery. History can confirm these fears.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Good job I have never tweeted.
But even being on ATS makes us targets for those who wish to silence us.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

I won't be losing any sleep over it, but my interpretation of this article is much different than yours.

As MDDoxs mentioned the wording is quite concerning, and I completely agree with him.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
imagine the fun at HQ when the order comes from the top:

POTUS directive, take out Crakeur immediately.

Um, who?

Crakeur, corporal, the guy who's been tweeting about alien invasions

Not to worry!We'll simply forward all your mail.I suggest you find yourself an unlisted spider-hole though

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Legitimate arguments you have for them to stay on.
I intentionally brought the attribute 'MAJOR', because Facebook and Twitter are the only places where people could literally get arrested.
Things are starting to lose control, and the tpb pressure is high.
In the and, we have ATS.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Thing is when they come for you for saying something on ATS, they do not arrest you, you just disappear.

Tin foil hat on--check
A bit paranoid---check

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Part of me believes that announcements like these are meant to cause paranoia and fear among those who may expose certain things, but part of me also believes there may be a sinister meaning behind all this.

Off topic:

Thanks for the info on The Walking Dead comics. I followed your advice and have read up to book 90.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join