It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture Mac computers in USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture Mac computers in USA

rockcenter.nb cnews.com

Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that one of the existing Mac lines will be manufactured exclusively in the United States next year, making the comments during an exclusive interview with Brian Williams airing tonight at 10pm/9c on NBC’s “Rock Center.” Mac fans will have to wait to see which Mac line it will be because Apple, widely known for its secrecy, left it vague.
“We’ve been working for years on doing more and more in the United States,” Cook told Williams.
This announcement comes a week after recent rumors in the blogosphere sparked by iMacs inscribed in the back with “Asse
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Apple starts reversing its outsourcing??

That's interesting - it has come under much criticism along with other organuisations for manufacturing in China.

So what has changed:

apparently nothing at all -

Given that, why doesn’t Apple leave China entirely and manufacture everything in the U.S.? “It’s not so much about price, it’s about the skills,” Cook told Williams.

Echoing a theme stated by many other companies, Cook said he believes the U.S. education system is failing to produce enough people with the skills needed for modern manufacturing processes. He added, however, that he hopes the new Mac project will help spur others to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

“The consumer electronics world was really never here,” Cook said. “It’s a matter of starting it here.”

so they need better skills, the education system isn't providing them, so they are brining manufacturing back in order to provide an incentive to get better skills?

That's how I read it at least.

Seems pretty strange
It still doesn't answer why now? Why couldn't they have done this 2, 5, heck 10 years ago??

rockcenter.nb cnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-12-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: crappy spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Oh how great Apple finally grows a conscience...

I wonder maybe its the amount of suicides they've caused directly or indirectly over the years for horrible conditions at factories.

A 23-year-old man jumped to his death from his apartment building in Chengdu, China Foxconn announced today.

According to the manufacturer, the man had been working at Foxconn for one month before his death. The apartment complex is outside of Foxconn's Chengdu plant. Reuters was first to report on the news.

Suicides have become an all-too-common occurrence among Foxconn workers over the last few years. According to reports, at least 16 people who work at Foxconn's factory in Shenzhen, China, have taken their lives since the beginning of 2010.

Source

"Everyday is like: I get off from work and I go to bed. I get up in the morning, and I go to work. It is my daily routine and I almost feel like an animal."
When asked by CNN why humans are doing machine-like work at Foxconn, she said simply that "humans are cheaper."

source

Dec. 20 (Bloomberg) -- An explosion at a Shanghai supplier to Apple Inc. injured 61 workers after aluminum dust produced by polishing cases for iPads ignited, China Labor Watch said.

source

edit on 6-12-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
“Assembled in USA.”

Not made in. Parts will still be from China.

What minimum percentage has to be assembled in the USA for them to say that I wonder?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Seems pretty strange
It still doesn't answer why now? Why couldn't they have done this 2, 5, heck 10 years ago??

10 years ago people would have laughed in your face if you told them that apple was going to be so successful

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I wonder maybe its the amount of suicides they've caused directly or indirectly over the years for horrible conditions at factories.

You realize it isn't just Apple. Nearly every tech company has outsourced to China, and the majority of them use Foxconn for their services.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Strictly public relations so that Apple can claim "Made in America" get tax incentives, grants and a buttload of great press that equals free advertising. I'm betting that only a small percentage of computers will actually be made in the USA. The PR guys at Apple are brilliant for coming up with this plan.

This "Made in the USA" scam will spread to other companies as soon as they see Apple reaping the benefits.

Anyone that thinks American business cares about the Americans that buy their stuff is extremely naive. The tobacco companies made that abundantly clear long ago.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
“Assembled in USA.”

What minimum percentage has to be assembled in the USA for them to say that I wonder?

China has the largest supply of rare earths that go into manufacturing computer components. It's not surprising that they would still make them in there. Especially since China is cutting off the high volume REE exports.

Link

The other thing, is the union problems stateside. Look at how GM had workers making the equivalent of $90/hour when the company was nose diving. At the same time, Toyota was paying on average of around $40/hour for a better product.

I believe in worker's rights, but if the unions get too pushy the companies bleed away any chance of survival.
edit on 6-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Lets not forget that they are probably also forecasting just how pitiful our economy and job market will be and using that to ensure that they will have a lot of laborers for minimum wage to build these systems. May as well take advantage of a down economy and pick up skilled laborers for cheap when you are a tech giant.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

So you are saying Obama's policies to bring back manufacturing are working??

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i wonder if they'll get all the parts from China and just let Americans plug stuff into the right slots, if so, they wont get paid much i was doing this in high school

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

name a single policy Obama has done that will bring manufacturing jobs to America ?

As for the thing about there not being enough skilled workers in America... Since when does China have a better education system? lol Most of them live in slums with no formal education
edit on 6-12-2012 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
good luck finding americans who will work under apples slave labour conditions.... wonder how many they will drive to suicide over there with their inhumane labour policies... or is the economy that bad that now they will tolerate a company like apple doing to them what its done to the chinese... how many more must die to satisfy apples greed ?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse

name a single policy Obama has done that will bring manufacturing jobs to America ?

reducing the value of the $ by "quantitative easing".

but perhaps you missed the wink and laugh??

As for the thing about there not being enough skilled workers in America... Since when does China have a better education system? lol Most of them live in slums with no formal education

But with 1.4 billion peole yuo can have a crappy system and still turn out more engineersthan a USA where there is a strong lobby that opposes science being taught a all!
edit on 6-12-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse

edit on 6-12-2012 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

Americans don't want to work! Take a look at any construction site....orale ese! quero tener un trabajo....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Aloysius the Gaul must be a Windows fanboy

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

So what has changed:

American labor, coupled with the import/export savings has made the US a cheaper labor market for specific products.

As other mentioned, the high volume products will still be made at FoxConn. ipod, pad, phone.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Fantastic news for America and for ats members...

Hurrah!!!!!! Pride

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
“Assembled in USA.”

Guts of an iphone and glass are us made already

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is just another scam by Apple so they can slap a Made in USA label on their overpriced computers and make the liberals feel good about shoveling out 2 months pay on an already obsolete piece of hardware.

The truth? Apple made over 40 BILLIONS in just the last few years by using SLAVE LABOR in China. Mostly women locked inside factories for a full year living in 12 hour dorms and sharing the same bed with the next shift.

Yay Apple! Thanks for caring.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join