It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is happening to children in America?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
-1 in 3 is overweight
-1 in 6 has learning disabilities
-1 in 9 has asthma
-1 in 10 has ADHD
-1 in 12 has food allergies
-1 in 20 has seizures
-1 in 54 males has autism
-1 in 88 has autism

Statistics taken from this video.

The video is about vaccination but I don't think vaccination alone can possibly account for all this. It could be any number of things, multiple causes. Each one of the above stats could be due to multiple different causes. Or there could be one or several overarching causes: poison in the food or water or air, say.

This doesn't even take into account the social issues: gangs, crime, TV brainwashing, materialism, a culture that rewards cheating and slacking...it makes me sick to think of bringing up a child in this world. Although I want to be a mother and raise healthy, happy kids its looking like more and more of a challenge every day!

One thing is for certain: Our children are hurting bad. Think of the children!!!

+27 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

And now thanks to your avatar 1 in 100,000 has blurred vision
On topic : what is happening? misunderstandings that not everyone is the perfect example of normal .
Not in all cases like obesity which is most likely caused from overeating
edit on 5-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I work in mental health with children... I think a lot of problems we face with our children in America are probably caused by chemicals that they encountered sometime in their life (whether in utero or after birth). I think a lot of the obesity problems are caused by additives to foods and I believe autism spectrum disorders can be linked to vaccinations in early childhood. Good thread! S&F

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Sorry about the avatar, adjust your v-hold

Your comment is an interesting take on the situatuon. So you think nothing has changed except our perception of things? I guess its possible. But I there were definitely not this many fat kids around 20 years ago and it seems like there are a lot more autistic or autistic-spectrum kids.

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The best part is, the attacks on children come from so many directions, there's no way to pinpoint the source or sue for damages.

Playing devil's advocate a little here, but maybe a lot of the blame lies with the parents.
If you feed your children foods without knowing what the ingredients are in them, who can you blame, the food manufacturers?

Child - "Mommy I want Sponge Bob raviolis!"
Mom - "OK whatever, you're only getting 12 cans of them though."

(2 hours later)....

Child - "Mommy I don't feel so good, my tummy hurts."
Mom - "Here baby, take some of this cheap medicine."

(2 days later)....

Mom - "Doctor I don't know what to do, he hasn't been himself past 2 days, can you help?"
Doctor - "Sure, give him some Prozac with a Buspar chaser for the next 5 years."

This is almost an exact excerpt from the Honey Boo Boo show.
Don't even get me started about the horrors of what TV & music is/has done to generations of children, and they just keep lowering the bar all the time.

Parents need to RTFL.... Read The F'n Labels. Not the Nutrition labels, the ingredients! If you don't know what 1 or more of the ingredients are in the food, who's fault is it then when your kids develop illnesses?

edit on 6-12-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'll attempt an answer.

1. Not enough exercise tends to make a kid fat.

2. Parents who don't take proper care of their own health are not as likely to have healthy kids. Example, mother using drugs or other chemicals while pregnant. Mother didn't take vitamins and/or her diet was not sufficient for the baby to properly develop. (I'm speculating.) I have heard that not enough folic acid and possibly other vitamins as well can cause birth defects.

3. Older parents have increased risk of having kids with autism I heard. Apparently the risk of genetic damage increases as both parents become older. The plus side is that kids born from older parents tend to live longer (if they are healthy that is a plus). Many parents have been delaying starting families or having kids while both parents are older.

4. More pollutants in our environment could be causing genetic damage. The radiation from nuclear materials by itself could cause more problems in a small percentage of the population. There are a lot of chemicals in plastics and/or the envirnoment that interfere with normal reproductive development. Since everyone is not having a problem, just a certain percentage of the population, the public can attempt to blame all of the above and below while the companies continue making their products.
edit on 6/12/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cassiper

Thanks for the input. I think chemicals are a strong possibility...there are tons of chemicals now in food that didn't even exist 20 years ago. People used to eat farm-fresh, now everything is treated to the gills with who knows what. And then there are chemicals from other places...plastics, artifical materials of all sorts...thousands of different chemicals, most of them synthetic and quite new. Are they going to tell us they've tested all of them perfectly and they know everything about them? Of course this is impossible. Its scary.

Another issue is all the electromagnetic waves from all sorts of stuff: cell phones, radios, microwaves, etc etc...scientists don't really understand much about how these things impact the body and mind. Its hard to beleive that only 100 years ago NONE of these waves were floating around. Now its almost like stepping outside you are stepping into a microwave oven!

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
In my humble, non-researched, matter-of-fact, not-thought-out opinion:

-1 in 3 is overweight (both parents working & there are more 'poor', which makes sense because non-nutritious, high-fat food is typically less expensive and more convenient)
-1 in 6 has learning disabilities (over diagnosed. Some kids are just 'not that smart')
-1 in 9 has asthma (overweight....)
-1 in 10 has ADHD (over diagnosed)
-1 in 12 has food allergies ( not a clue. I just think people are more dramatic about it, so that's why we hear about it more. Before, if you gave your kid a tomato and he/she broke out into a rash, you just didn't give them a tomato again. Now it must be tested and documented)
-1 in 20 has seizures
-1 in 54 males has autism (I do not believe that almost 20% of male children have autism...over-diagnosed)
-1 in 88 has autism (again, over-diagnosed)

I think much of our medical problems can be fixed by eating whole, organic foods.

edit on 6-12-2012 by cassp83 because: deleted

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
there's two types of vaccines.

the one's minorities and white "trash" i.e. any white person wealthy enough to be considered elite, and what the elite's children get.

they're so diabolical, that even if you try to fool them and take them your kid to the elites doctor, in the nice neighbourhood with all the jaguars and benz's parked out front, they'll just give your kid the minority vaccine they have stored away just for that scenario.

better off taking your kid to cuba, were you'll get classless medical care.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Monsanto ............. I really think that is what is wrong with them

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Technology probably has an impact ,whereas in the past kids would play outside ,eat some dirt?etc ,now its a sterilised indoor life and a choice of' 'helicopter parents' or the 'Me time' parents .

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

-1 in 3 is overweight (both parents working & there are more 'poor', which makes sense because non-nutritious, high-fat food is typically less expensive and more convenient)

Crap excuse. If the parents are poor, they will get food stamps assistance.
States are giving away food stamps like you read about, not hard to get at all.

That food stamps card can buy nutritional foods for only pennies more than the cheap Nazi concoctions, like Ramen noodles, read the ingredients in those sometime, like reading a novel.

Fruits & veggies won't break the grocery budget, it comes down to lack of effort, laziness on the parents' part, and of course their blind trust of the food industry. I can't count how many times people have said to me, "Well they wouldn't sell that food if it was bad for you" or "They'd tell us if it made people sick."

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's not just the kids. The kids are simply hit differently. Look around yourself and the people you know. Ask yourself how many do not have at least one Rx to take once a day. Most, more than one and on a long term basis. In adults, at least so many I know, it's diabetes...fast onset too, with almost immediate neuropathy on at least a small scale. I'm suffering that myself to a limited degree as are 5 people I know. One is my better half. She's got that numbness mixed with other times of pain or tingly up and down the legs and arms.

I was just talking about this with some others last night. It's almost enough to choke on when one really stops and thinks hard.....just who do you know who is NOT suffering something....of some level of seriousness?

It's almost fair to say something is killing us and tearing through our kids.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I have a nephew who is under ten years old. I hardly see him. His parents are so busy with their pursuits, they are always away doing something. When they are home he sits in front of the TV. They bought him an I Pod to keep him busy while he is away with them. They feed him fast food on the go, so he is learning to eat crap.

When he does get dropped off he sits in front of the TV with cartoons whilst playing with his I Pod. His attention is divided between the two. He doesn't know or care to change channels on the remote, just asks you to do it for him and bounces like a seal for fish when he sees what he wants. Then its "I'm hungry" for Mac 'n Cheese and hard bolied eggs peeled and the yokes removed with salt and salami and cookies and...

Never says please, never says thank you. If you try to get his attention her ignores you or pretends not to hear. Right now I can see he just pretends not to hear. What nobody seems to realize is that is the beginning training regimen for attention deficit. His mother has already had doctors diagnose him for that and they want to put him on meds, which thank God , his mom won't allow. She goes to "Wholistic practioners" and she feeds him ADD "vitamins".

I used to teach him stuff. I used to go on trips with him and take apart computers, go to recycle centers and make learning fun. He would eat it up and always came over to go in the garage and have fun learning how things work. We studied the stars and rocks and storms and lizards and pinecones and squirrels and keeping pets and... out of breath.

One day his parents became jealous of all the fun we were having and stopped him from coming over and told me they didn't want him playing with tools or taking things apart. That was 2 years ago. Now he doesn't even smile any more or lift his attention from his I Pod to say hi or bye when he leaves.

I am so sad.

edit on 6-12-2012 by intrptr because: deletion...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
They receive vaccines, they eat GMO. Look at the Amish. They don't have many of these issues.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

Regardless of what you said, here have a random star for being so fit!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
So those are stats on people 18 and under correct? Lets see, what happened in 1994. "Basketcase" by Greenday was #1 on MTV's New Year Eve countdown, Dolly the sheep was cloned and...

My family got AOL that year!

THAT is what happened to kids, that is what happened to civilization. "Learning disorder" is a pretty broad spectrum, covers everything from depression to anxiety to A.D.D to temper tantrums. All of which can be easily diagnosed and a fixed by throwing some (barely tested on humans) pill at, Next!

Thats whats wrong with the kids, that is whats wrong with us. No attention spans anymore, no patience. My little brother graduated high school last year, we had a running joke when he got home from school for 4 years. "What did you learn in school today?" and he would reply "bulls#%$". It never got old, he always meant it and I always believed him. Its no wonder they have "learning disabilities", the US educational system is wretched and they can learn anything they want at super high speed on the web with a few button clicks.

We used to get trend setters in small doses from a shared zombie box, now pop culture is Reddit.. what was the meme with the most "likes" on FB today. I cant think of the last time I heard of a bully or bullying going on in schools. Noone bullies anymore because everyone is equally shot out. "Let me see how my friend is doing" *texts friend on smartphone*. That used to mean actually seeing and talking to people! I also blame the Santa myth..

As for obecity and legitimate health issues 2 words for ya, Great Value.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Most adults though educated and experienced, don't know how to save, eat healthy. avoid materialism and addiction to electronics. What makes you think that their kids will do better on pure instinct?

Only way to save yourself, and your kids, is to move away from the city, isolate your family from most electronics
and grow your own food

edit on 6-12-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

Most adults though educated and experienced, don't know how to save, eat healthy. avoid materialism and addiction to electronics. What makes you think that their kids will do better on pure instinct?

Most adults don't know how to do those things because they are too lazy & can't be bothered to learn how to budget better and/or control their impulses. Not to mention that most are completely hypnotized into believing whatever the TV tells them to believe.

You can't force adults to do what's in their best interests, they have to want to learn to better themselves & their family's lives. That's hard to do when almost all outside influence teaches people to dislike themselves and feel unworthy of happiness. All true evil needs to thrive is for there to be a lack of love in one's heart.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The obesity fact aside. I think there is a simple answer to those stats. we just are more aware as a society of these issues. we test for them now. we don't ignore them. So have these problems gotten worse? Perhaps, but medical science can diagnose better than ever.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join