It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Locate Lyrics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Whenever I want to read the lyrics to a song, I'm uncomfortable doing a google search because I find that the lyrics vary from one website to another.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to research lyrics?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There are other search engines..such as BING. But I'd recommend a site specifically for lyrics such as azlyrics or metrolyrics.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

The sites I've been pulling up from google are specifically for lyrics, but when I compare them, I see differences! Makes me wonder how they get their lyrics.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

AZ Lyrics. I could get you a couple more, but AZ is one of the best.

P.S. Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your posts. Hope my suggestion helps!

edit on 5-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thanks.

It is interesting researching this. I've gathered that the album Shaking the Tree - Sixteen Golden Greats came out in 1990 as Peter Gabriel's first "greatest hits" album.

I'm looking for the lyrics to "Shaking the Tree," co-written by Youssou N'Dour, and digitally remastered in 2002. It looks like the album is copyright 2004 by Virgin Records Ltd.

I don't see it on azlyrics.com. On metrolyrics.com, I see three listings:

1. "Shaking the Tree" Peter Gabriel
  2. "Shaking the Tree" Peter Gabriel
  3. "Shaking the Tree (02 Remix)" Soundtrack Artists

The 3rd one is the one I'm looking for, except that it doesn't have his name attached to it, and the lyrics are a confusing mess.

The 2nd one is incomplete.

The 1st one is good except for one "incomprehensible" line notated.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

www.lyricsfreak.com...

Seems like this version has made note of various modifications made throughout the existence of this song. Hope this helps!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Yeah it's similar to what I called a confusing mess!

I don't know what to to with that.

I think I'm going to print the 1st version I posted, listen to the YouTube video I have with the song on it, and keep pausing, comparing one to the other. I want the lyrics to be perfect. The song is fantastic. I will be starting a thread on it once I'm confident of the lyrics.

I often have trouble understanding what is being said, both in songs and when I listen to interviews. But if I have what purports to be a transcript, hopefully I can make sense of it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't think that's the fault of the people transcribing the lyrics. I think that's the fault of the band not being satisfied with its music and making more and more changes. It wasn't the listeners who changed the song, you know. And really, if it's been changed so much, then I did a favor in directing you to the one including all the changes so you can edit it back to its fully glory. I don't know the song, so you'd be the better one to do that.

Have fun!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

It may just be a variation in what people think they hear. But I didn't intend to start an argument.

I'm thinking about trying to buy the album so I can get official lyrics.

But evidently it's only sold in Britain.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I don't think I'm going to start a thread on this song, afterall. Listening to the YouTube video again, it starts out with words that are not on the lyrics. And I'm hearing slightly different words in other places in the lyrics. This project has gotten too complicated.

But the video is great. It's filmed in Paris. I guess the YouTuber used this music because the co-writer Youssou N'Dour has a French name and there apparently is French in part of the lyrics. What I can understand of the song sounds great to me:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Nope, no arguments here. Just trying to be helpful.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

But evidently it's only sold in Britain.

That was only for the MP3 on iTunes.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose
I'm thinking about trying to buy the album so I can get official lyrics.

I do have the CD on order from BestBuy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the liner notes include the official lyrics.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I do have the CD on order from BestBuy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the liner notes include the official lyrics.

I received the CD but it doesn't have the lyrics.

I've emailed the record company Real World Records.

top topics

join