It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Scicilians didnt fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The first people on the land that is now Sicily, didn't partake of the bounties of the sea.
It seems these peole who came to that part of Europe were decidedly more of an inland people, likely coming from central eurasia.

Despite a seaside home overlooking the Mediterranean, the very first human settlers of Sicily weren't seafood lovers, new research finds.

In an analysis published Wednesday in the journal PLOS ONE, skeletal remains of the people who occupied the site around 10,000 years ago show no telltale signs of seafood eating. Instead, researchers say, these hunter-gatherers chowed down on game such as deer and boar.

"It showed us that our species only reached Sicily probably around, at the earliest, about 24,000 years ago, which is the time of the last glacial maximum, a time when probably for a very short period, Sicily was actually connected to the mainland through a land bridge exposed by the fact that sea levels were lower," Mannino said.

The DNA further suggested these early Homo sapien settlers likely had ancestry in the Near East and Caucasus regions, the researchers wrote.

A terrestrial diet The isotope analysis revealed these Sicilian settlers ate mostly terrestrial meals, with less than 10 or 20 percent of their diets made up of seafood.

Other research on early Mediterranean humans suggests this diet was typical for the region, Mannino said. Humans living along the Atlantic coast of Europe during the same time period, on the other hand, often had diets made up of 80 to 90 percent seafood, he said.

The source

www.msnbc.msn.com...

They were inland game hunters from Asia and hadn't learnd to take advantage of the sea yet.
I also suspect that we will ultimately find that the coastal.people of the Atlantic from the same period,
were a people of a different ancestry.
I wonder how much of that is due to almost instinctive behavior, humans from Asia have a larger portion of neanderthal genes than people of the med. I bring that up because I read somehere, that neanderthal didn't fish.
Don't know if that is true, but if it is this preference in diet may represent distinctly different ancestral lines for the people in Europe

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Great job

You're on a roll. This is actually a very interesting find. Many have speculated those early inhabitants origins. I'm not exactly sure if that's the exact location they originated from though.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ditto to what Slayer said. Although they did eat 1 meal of 5 of seafood

Oh you might want to correct the spelling of Sicilian, it not it could be difficult to search for later
edit on 29/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

join