It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man caught on video making fun of girl with cerebral palsy sentenced to jail

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elmrich
reply to post by OneHundredLittleCurses

I thought there had to be more to it. I would be willing to bet this is the community bully who thinks he can get away with anything. Looking at the charges and video this family better be on high alert for retaliation. I don't think this guy is going to go quietly into the night.

Retaliation.....that's what I'm afraid of.

In his sick/twisted mind, he's done nothing wrong and will blame the girl and her family for all of this.
Hopefully I'm wrong....and he will seek help. [there is wishful thinking]

Bully's like him see no wrong in their actions.
Every one else is at fault.....

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Yeah but mockery is the foundation of comedies-movies/sitcoms.My 6yr old son gleefully kicks a chicken occasionaly,when playing Fable the Lost chapter.And i must admit,it is a bit funny.But he Knows in real life,you simply Do Not kick animals,because it hurts them,it could even kill smaller animals.He knows the difference,and he's 6.However funny a thing in the movies,you cannot reason that it may as well translate into the real world and be as acceptable as in a movie.By that same token,i could say,okay lemme sexually harass my employee the way Jennifer Aniston did as the dentist in Horrible Bosses.For her character,it was fun,she was mocking him all the time.Try mocking your employees that way in real life,see how successful a career you have,amidst the lawsuits and folks in your community distancing themselves from you,on account of yr bad behaviour.Thats why these movies Are so popular-we can live vicariously through the outrageous behaviour of fictional characters-things we can not do in real life,because it would Hurt others,and make much trouble for ourselves,or gain us quite a bit of loathing and ill will from our fellow human beings.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

You make some good points, but none of them conflict with what I really said.

Let me translate for you: As long as pop culture sees berating as comedy then people will use it to humor themselves.

The post was not focusing on television, it was focused on what pop culture sees as humor. You clearly see that it's not funny to berate real people so you're cool in my book.

I was never defending the man. I do not like what he did either, but the man was obviously a simpleton, and he obviously thought berating was fun. I don't believe the man was doing it to be cruel as much as he was to humor himself. That is an explaination, not an excuse.

I agree that tv, games, etc should not be what we get our morals from, but if that is all we have then that is all we have.

edit on 12/3/2012 by Bleeeeep because: grammar

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Ok we're good then :-) On the subject of the comedy show side of pop culture ,btw,except for Frasier(which delightfully mocks pretentiousness,with lovable characters) i prefer British-if you've never seen the series "One foot in the Grave" i would advise anyone to try and get the series in dvd,if its not shown in America-it is The best ive ever come across.I believe in having a say in what my kids watch-The Kardashians,Housewifes of whatever state of mind/county,Bachelors+Bachelorettes,Jersey Anything except foodwise,that guy who bakes like a God,eg,any show that has malicious competitiveness,continual disrespect for others,mercenary selfishness and shallow people of low character +morals as its sole "selling point" is banned from my house,and i told my daughter in no uncertain terms that i'd rather have mustardgas polluting my house than that tripe.I wonder,sometimes,with this culture of loving to watch others being humiliated,dissapointed,dismissed,insulted,hurt-FAILING..has folks these days,specially young people,got so little sense of self-worth,that in order to feel good about themselves,they Need to witness others being denigrated? I mean,im okay with myself,at Soul level,i feel comfortable with myself,warts+all.Maybe thats why i would love for everyone else to be just basically ok too? I have No desire to bring some one else down,unless its some one with hateful intent towards the innocent and defenceless,or when decent people are trampled underfoot by TPTB,eg.Is it an issue of lack of selfworth,thats at the root of so much of the malice+the uncaring attitude we see everywhere today?
Or,otoh spoiled,undisciplined kids who grow up to be arrogant,selfserving adults,inconsiderate adults that are atrocious examples for any kid-or a mixture of both? All i know is,unless we stop rewarding the imbeciles and downright assholes that corrupt our children's minds,with heaps of money and celebrity status-then guys like the idiot this thread's about,and his pathetic behaviour, is going to be the norm.Things continue as long you let them.Love your avatar,btw.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Nope, I've never seen “One foot in the Grave”. The only British shows that I have recently watched are “Misfits” and “The Paradise”. As far as British comedies go, they don't seem to share the same taboos as we do, and they're a bit more vulgar than us, but I think we're headed in the same direction. The other day, I saw an episode of “2 Broke Girls” making anal sex jokes - I was shocked that they would show that on prime time tv.

To answer your questions, I have a good analogy for you:

Television and other social media forms are the rungs of a ladder that are becoming more and more unethical in order to raise their ratings, our peers and our desires to be modern are the rope, and we hang ourselves. That's kind of what I was getting at in my first post – pop culture (social media and peer groups) are aiding the problem, but we allow ourselves to be influenced by them, so it's really everyone's fault.

Personally, I think we need to make a stand against the degradation that's happening to our society, and I try to explain it to people at times. I see it as a grand scheme that each and every one of us plays a part in, but hardly anyone notices. I mean, usually I try to reply to posts in a way that offers insight, but I think it comes off as scolding, judgmental of their replies, or sympathy for the devil – when what I'm really trying to do is get people to not be so hateful towards others.

And thanks for the compliment about the avatar – it's conspiracy and the unknown

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join