It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department Of Justice opens investegation on Albuquerque Police Department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The Albuquerque Journal has reported that the Department of Justice is conducting a full investigation on the Albuquerque Police Department over concerns of civil rights violations and excessive use of force. The following is from the Albuquerque Journal, link below the text will take you to their article

1:13 p.m. — Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry and APD Chief Ray Schultz said during today’s press conference that they will fully cooperate with the U.S. Justice Department’s investigation of APD. The chief and the mayor pointed to dozens of policy changes, many of them addressing the way officers use force, that APD has self-prescribed in the past 18 months and said they look forward to any “additional recommendations” from the Justice Department.

www.abqjournal.com...
APD has been in the news alot due to the high number of Officer involved shootings and other violent acts commited by officers. You may remember the reports of one officer involved in severely beating a man while another held him down and "chest bumped" afterwards. That is one of many examples of the kind of brutality the people of Albuquerque face. I for one hope this will root out the Officers that are the problem and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. That is the only way to restore the respect of the department and confindence of the people.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's been so long ago that I can't even seem to find it now, but Obama once made reference to cleaning up out-of-control police departments. As usual he gave us a false hope. Well, not me, as I never placed any hope in him--but you know what I mean.

Albuquerque is not even the most egregious of out-of-control police departments--although they may be near the top. But if the plan is to clean up one department every 4+ years.... I'm really not interested.

Maybe the Department of Justice should concentrate on cleaning up itself. I could really get behind that....

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good to see they are aggressively moving in to nip those issues in the bud.
Not just to root out the corrupt officers, but more importantly, those in leadership positions that have allowed the corruption to spawn and grow out of control.... from city officials on down.

When they're finished with them don't stop there, keep working down that list of a number of other agencies that need a good shake up.

edit on 28-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

join