It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby yawns in womb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As researchers at the University of Durham claim to have conclusive proof that unborn babies yawb in the womb, a 4D scan appears to show a foetus doing just that.

We already know that unborn babies can stretch and even hiccup in the womb, but new research from the University of Durham concludes that they can also yawn. There has long been debate about whether foetuses really are capable of yawning, or whether they are just opening their mouths.

As part of a study published in the international journal PLOS ONE, researchers looked at 4D scan footage of 15 healthy foetuses and examined how long their mouths stayed open for. Using their newly developed criteria, the research team found that over half of the mouth openings observed in the study were classed as yawns.

Source

edit on 23-11-2012 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The scientists also claimed that yawning had a maturational function and that premature foetuses tend to yawn more often.

hmmm...pretty interesting.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I don't get it ? What would be the purpose in yawning while emersed in fluid.
Maybe I just don't understand the reason for a yawn

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I remember being told that with my second child. They also hiccup and suck their thumbs in the womb. such precious little things! I remember feeling a strange rapid movement, and the dr said it was probably his hiccups i was feeling.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Well that's one of lifes many mysteries. It probably has something to do with releasing energy, but I'm no expert.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

I can't wait to see how this affects abortion threads.

2nd.

top topics

join