It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best tablet or ipad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
HELP.......i am stuck for a christmas present for my girlfriend and have thought about getting her an ipad but what is better.....ipad or tablet?

i,ve read reviews on all of them but it has made the decision even harder
she has a netbook just now and its used mainly for her facebook,youtube and general web browsing so with that in mind what would you recommend?

any help would be greatly appreciated

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Given that the major operating systems have their own flavour of device I would look and see what type of phone etc your girlfriend already uses, if it is Android based I would look to their devices, since she'll not just be familiar with the system but would be able to have the same apps on her phone as she has on the tablet..

Similar thing goes for the Apple devices, and if she is one of those rare people who have a windows phone or looking at windows 8 computers, perhaps their new tablet would be better?

Apart from that individual devices depend on the amount you have to spend, sorry I can't be more helpful
good luck with finding the right gift

edit on 21/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

thanks......she has a blackberry and i,ve saw blackberry have a playbook tablet but i,m not really computer savvy so have no idea if its any good.

the fact it seems to be only £100 sterling worrys me since its basicly a £100 cheaper than any other tablet.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

She won't be happy with anything but an iPad. The reason for this is comparability with friends online games through facebook. My wife loves her iPad and hates my Android Pad. I love the Android and dislike the iPad.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

we were in supermarket the other day and they had an ipad mini set up that you could try out......she seem to love it but read online that its over priced and that the google nexus 7 is better value for money

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Pc world are selling 64gb Playbooks for little over £100, but the problem from what I understand is that they don't have the level of support the others devices have in terms of applications, films, music etc... If that is not something that would bother your girlfriend then that could be a bargain, it'll also link to her phone.. so that could be plus, but might be worthless if she is thinking of moving away from Blackberry.

It is a difficult one, especially if she has just got a netbook as I personally see the 10" tablets pitched more at being replacements for netbooks than anything else, while the 7inch ones still sit in that niche of being portable enough to give you a good screen while not making the netbooks obsolete.

Not sure on the 8" ones like the iPad mini... I have an 8" tablet and a Netbook but find I don't use the tablet as much as I should, I think that is me.. instead I tend to use the 5" Samsung I have as it fits in my pocket and goes where ever I go..

It is such a personal thing and there are so many devices out there, I really really you luck in finding the right gift..

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31

we were in supermarket the other day and they had an ipad mini set up that you could try out......she seem to love it but read online that its over priced and that the google nexus 7 is better value for money

I have heard lots of bad review of the minipad compared to spending a little bit more.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Perhaps going into a Currys/PC world (if you have one near you) and having a wander around and play with all the different types they have on display.. maybe with the notion that you are looking for one for yourself and ask your girlfriend what she thinks as that might give you a clue as to what she would like, Blackberry, Apple or Android.
edit on 21/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: my spelling is appaling today... sorry

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 with docking station is Android based.

It's a Quad Core (+1) and is awesome for games if she's into that.

Wifi is its connection to the net.

There is a 3G version of it, too, if you want to be able to roam.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
yeah thats my problem....so many devices its hard to know if i,m going to spend my money on the right one

i got her the netbook 3 years ago for christmas and the blackberry 2 years ago......know that she loves the blackberry and won,t be changing it anytime soon but netbook seems out of fashion to me with all these tablets coming out but thats probably just me

christmas can be so stressful

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

I have heard lots of bad review of the minipad compared to spending a little bit more.
yeah i,ve read just as many bad as good reviews for it.....thats why its so hard to decide.......don,t mind spending a bit more but only if its really worth it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Perhaps going into a Currys/PC world (if you have one near you) and having a wander around and play with all the different types they have on display.. maybe with the notion that you are looking for one for yourself and ask your girlfriend what she thinks as that might give you a clue as to what she would like, Blackberry, Apple or Android.
edit on 21/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: my spelling is appaling today... sorry
i wish i could cause it would make life so much easier but know for fact she would know i wasn,t getting opinion for myself and would pick up on i was looking at getting her one for christmas

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If you are thinking of using this to replace the netbook then I would certainly agree with unrealised above that the Asus would be a good choice.. especially if you can stretch to adding the keyboard dock since you get something that looks and feels like a tablet but also looks and feels like a netbook.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
My ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 with docking station is Android based.

It's a Quad Core (+1) and is awesome for games if she's into that.

Wifi is its connection to the net.

There is a 3G version of it, too, if you want to be able to roam.
yeah she likes her games.....i,ll give it a look up....thanks for the advice

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

If you are thinking of using this to replace the netbook then I would certainly agree with unrealised above that the Asus would be a good choice.. especially if you can stretch to adding the keyboard dock since you get something that looks and feels like a tablet but also looks and feels like a netbook.
thank you thoughtsfull i,ll have a look up on pc world about it but yeah deffo looking at replacing her netbook.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I was just checking out info for the Lenovo Yoga. It's pretty neat how it is designed but it might need to be refined a bit more to meet it's full potential.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm very interested in the new Microsoft Surface!

I just wish I could afford one on my measely teacher's salary

anybody wanna donate?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
One thing that kind of bothers me though is that I have seen no real need to get a Windows touch device. I haven't seen any "killer apps" for them. It seems kind of strange to buy it and hope some great apps are made. Are there even any killer apps for the iPad at this point other than games?

top topics

join