It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Deep Impact space probe aims to slam into comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Scientists, trying to determing the makeup of comets, and possibly determine ways to prevent them from striking earth, are going to slam an impactor into a comet. One amazing result of this impact will be that amateur astronomers with backyard scopes will be able to witness the flash of the impact.

www.alertnet.org
Astronomers plan to slam an armchair-sized "impactor" into comet Tempel 1 to see what's inside -- and possibly help future scientists determine how to keep such space rocks from colliding with Earth.

If all goes as scheduled, the NASA Deep Impact spacecraft, set for launch on Dec. 30, will gently let go of the 820-pound (370 kilogram) impactor on July 4, 2005, and the comet's rocky part will hit it at a speed of 23,800 miles an hour (10.2 km a second).

The smash will take place some 80 million miles (130 million km) from Earth, and while the comet itself is 100 times too dim to be seen with unaided eyes, the material thrown up by the collision could be visible with small telescopes, the project's principal investigator said on Thursday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least it shows us that there is someone concerned about a rogue comet hitting the earth and they are trying to find a way to stop it from happenning if it ever does.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site I will post about a conspiracy to hide a potential threat from this comet impact. Here is a link to where I read that this experiment by NASA will result in a massive explosion equalling a 15,000 Megaton nuclear explosion. Life on Earth according to the website will be destroyed as we currently know it (pretty much like a million small asteroids hitting the Earth, only pockets of life left).

link
www.matter-antimatter.com...

and here is a link to where the web site tries to explain how comets are really made of anti-matter.

www.matter-antimatter.com...

The web site does seem suspicious to me but I have not read any arguments to the contrary on why gamma ray bursts (emitted from comets if what I read is correct) must come from normal matter instead of anti-matter. Do we really know for sure? I mean many great discoveries have been laughed at initially until much further study and observations were done to conclude those crazy ideas are actually probable. If anyone wants to take a stab at why comets that emit gamma ray bursts consist of normal matter or visa versa, I'm interested in reading about it. I believe this is still on this thread topic of sending the NASA probe into the comet.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Wohoo! YES! Hahaa! Let's put our destructive powers to good use.

Man, what I'd do to be in the meeting that day:
Chairman: "So gentleman, we've accomplished quite a bit of science and discovery, what's our next breakthrough?"
Me: "I wanna blow up a comet!"
Group: "Yeah, we do too!" *cheers & applause*

Where's my telescope?

join