It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is everyone delusional? the power of belief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
the religious see signs of god and "proof" everywhere. (Every religion in the world)

the conspiracy theorist see's conspiracy everywhere

the UFO lot see's proof of UFO's everywhere.

Big foot believers see proof of bigfoot everywhere

the doomsday believers see signs of doomsday everywhere (has for thousands of years)

the believers in the paranormal see proof of the paranormal everywhere

this list goes on and on and on and on.

I believe we are all delusional. Not that there isnt any truth to any of them but the power of belief is an amazing thing is it not?

Our minds are powerful (and deceptive) things.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Its an escape from this awful reality.

Love the D.A quote in your sigy, always makes me laugh

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Delusion and belief are the only thing stopping our economy from crashing. As soon as the coyote realizes he has run off the cliff, it's all over but the crying.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Its an escape from this awful reality.

Love the D.A quote in your sigy, always makes me laugh

I hear ya.

thanks I was thinking about adding a terry pratchett quote but havent been able to find the line I want

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Delusion and belief are the only thing stopping our economy from crashing. As soon as the coyote realizes he has run off the cliff, it's all over but the crying.

Eh well I dont think they will be able to keep the sheep from spotting the wolf for too much longer but who knows maybe something big will happen to push the problem another 50 years down the road

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I can assure you, my friend, that my faith is no "delusion". I know exactly who I believe in, and why. I know its beyond on the scope of understanding to most people, but to those who experience understand, and I hope perhaps you will too. I know who I believe in, and I am persuaded that He is able to deliver me. I have seen and experienced many things that make me believe this way, and it is not some "blind faith" that unbelievers say we have.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

Right...

Im sorry which faith is yours again?

this wasnt meant to be confrontational just an observation. so sit back, relax and enjoy the show

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

the religious see signs of god and "proof" everywhere. (Every religion in the world)

the doomsday believers see signs of doomsday everywhere (has for thousands of years)

I believe we are all delusional. Not that there isnt any truth to any of them but the power of belief is an amazing thing is it not?

Or in a nutshell, confirmation bias - Wiki

... and methods to counter it, innovationexcellence.com

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

No offense taken, and none meant to you either. I 'm a follower of Yeshuah or, Jesus as he is commonly called. anyway, take care and peace to you.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

But what do they all have in common?
they're all human meh that's debatable

How about they all try to see if there are others that are like them.

What is truly amazing is the power of influence. Combine that with intention while communicating and it can push people past delusional.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think it is revealing of how powerful our subjective perception of reality can be. Our preconceptions are very influential.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I wish more people were talking about this.
Interesting

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

I can assure you, my friend, that my faith is no "delusion". I know exactly who I believe in, and why. I know its beyond on the scope of understanding to most people, but to those who experience understand, and I hope perhaps you will too. I know who I believe in, and I am persuaded that He is able to deliver me. I have seen and experienced many things that make me believe this way, and it is not some "blind faith" that unbelievers say we have.

UMmmm, I thought it was the religious claiming that you had to have blind faith in order to believe? Unbelievers say you need to have proof.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

No offense taken, and none meant to you either. I 'm a follower of Yeshuah or, Jesus as he is commonly called. anyway, take care and peace to you.

What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus? Do you let people slap you around and you do nothing about it? If someone steals your coat, don't you call the cops? Do you forgive your neighbor for endless loud, drunken parties and for groping your wife? Do you love your enemies even though they're out to screw you over every chance they get?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
I wish more people were talking about this.
Interesting

Yea well ...this thread could go in any direction but alas....it seems like I have seen this somewhere....hmmm.
Looks like this will get twisted around so that focus and your thoughts get steered towards a basic argument of core beliefs.

Everyone's experience is different.

And it's Sunday....I wish some people could just give others a rest.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

I'm always off on Sunday,

But today,

I worked the LAME Sunday shift 11:30am to 9+

I did it so my friend/coworker could go to the Steeler game tonight!!

So I gave her a break

My feet hurt

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Monday now. I'm still a bit off but it is so much fun playing the ATS GAME.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Pfft how obnoxious....
Kidding

Thinking about your OP, it is true. I have been reading more about the power of thought. I have become more aware of what I am thinking and work at trying to use positive thought to my advantage. Eh not sure if it's working, but it sure beats being miserable

Funny...I'm usually off on Mondays, but today, I worked for my Mother as a favor to catch up after the holiday. Coincidentally, my feet are hurting again today
Well they only hurt when I sit down, so I gotta go go go

edit on 26-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

Pfft how obnoxious....
Kidding

Thinking about your OP, it is true. I have been reading more about the power of thought. I have become more aware of what I am thinking and work at trying to use positive thought to my advantage. Eh not sure if it's working, but it sure beats being miserable

Funny...I'm usually off on Mondays, but today, I worked for my Mother as a favor to catch up after the holiday. Coincidentally, my feet are hurting again today
Well they only hurt when I sit down, so I gotta go go go

edit on 26-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

Oh I was referring to my illness/disease/adhd that when it kicks up I have difficulty concentrating to read a lot. And I write differently, I'm really scattered.

Maybe not everyone delusional - maybe it seems a lot of people are dealing with relationship issues right now. Full moon tomorrow uh oh..... if not that then everybody needs new meds. LOL

new topics

top topics

join