It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil rig explodes off the coast of Louisiana

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SELAboy
It is a non-producing rig. About 28 gallons spilled (a little more than the gas tank of a large SUV). 2 missing. Several hospitalized. As of this time tomorrow, no one will remember this because it is a non-story to everyone but the families who may have lost their loved ones.

If you believe that, I have some nice swamp land in Louisiana for you with a sink hole included. Real cheap.

28 Gallons, really? Did they use measuring cups to get to that amount?

edit on 16-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
And cue astronomical gas prices once again.

Do we ever get a break?

Their return to climbing, post-election, can now be magically explained.

I wonder if our madman at the helm is also a genius? Those characteristics often appear in the same person.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The platform is owned by Black Elk Energy Co. Haven't checked to see it it is a BP field.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Just a day after oil giant B.P is found guilty of negligence and ordered to pay 4.5B, the largest fine in history, this happens.
Now call it what you will but sometimes I don't believe in coincidences. Let's just hope there isn't any oil spewing out like the last time and this is under control.

But the irony in this is just too bizarre to ignore.

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Fortunately it's not a drilling platform... it's a production rig.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It is a non-producing rig. About 28 gallons spilled (a little more than the gas tank of a large SUV). 2 missing. Several hospitalized. As of this time tomorrow, no one will remember this because it is a non-story to everyone but the families who may have lost their loved ones.

Of course it should be investigated. After BP, safety regs have to be enforced harshly. However, accidents happen all the time out there. Minor spills are normal.

Please don't use this relatively minor incident to go on some anti-oil rant. Our whole way of society is based on fossil fuels. Until the day that renewables become viable, this is simple reality. Drilling is absolutely necessary.

Alternative energy sources have become viable, from what I understand Europe is currently kicking our asses when it comes to utilizing renewable/inexhaustible sources.

Renewable Energy Statistics

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

If you believe that, I have some nice swamp land in Louisiana for you with a sink hole included. Real cheap.

It is a non producing rig, genius. The oil came from a cut pipe. These are the facts as they have been reported so far.
I'd love to hear your fantasy based theories on the sink hole, though.

You sound really smart

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I'd be careful about using the EU (soon to be "the former EU") as a role model.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

whoes PR team do you feel sorry for ?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Blarneystoner

I'd be careful about using the EU (soon to be "the former EU") as a role model.

Careful? Why? Someone might disagree?

...but you missed the point.

Renewable energy is a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Oh neat!

Obama found a way to raise the gas prices on us again now that the election is over.

This news on the same day news breaks on Iraq calling on all middle-east nations to use oil as a weapon against the united states.

And the timing doesn't seem odd to any of you?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Not at all. Accident.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The early release of winter blend gasoline in CA that drives down gasoline costs accross the board happing just before the election - a full month earlier than is usual or is called for - probably doesn't seem odd to you either then.

There is currently almost no news of this explosion and fire in the main stream media.

The prices will just quietly go back up to pre election levels.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
The early release of winter blend gasoline in CA that drives down gasoline costs accross the board happing just before the election - a full month earlier than is usual or is called for - probably doesn't seem odd to you either then.

There is currently almost no news of this explosion and fire in the main stream media.

The prices will just quietly go back up to pre election levels.

You have a very short memory. The gas prices did the same thing just prior to the 2008 elections.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by Ben81
i feel sorry for all the fish in the ocean

i will feel sorry about the water in my toilet (after doing a #2)
before i feel sorry for their PR team

LOL. This guy's posts always make me laugh.
Please, promise me you will never leave ATS.

Anyways. This does seem a little convenient, doesn't it? ONE day after they are slapped with a big fine, now this happens? Has anyone ever considered just outright banning BP from conducting their business in the USA? They've blown through all their chances by now, I'd say.

If they were not British owned....which the good old USA is...maybe.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

May have?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by FlySolo

Here is another angle, since it hasn't been that long (relatively) since they lost Horizon:

Transocean maintains a $10 million-per-occurrence deductible on crew personal injury liability and a $5 million per-occurrence deductible on other third-party noncrew claims, according to the annual report.

“We also carry $950 million of third-party liability coverage exclusive of the personal injury liability deductibles, third-party property liability deductibles” and other retention amounts, the company said in the report. Transocean retains the risk for liability losses above $950 million.

Source

Given that BP ended up with billions in criminal fines, Horizon didn't work out very well for them. However, I find it odd that they could let something like this happen again.

I'm not implying or insinuating anything as of yet, but one might be making good use of one's time to investigate how insurance policies play out in the world of failed oil rigs.

There could be a number of ways to benefit certain groups or where certain people can walk out with big windfalls during an insurance settlement. Anytime a large sum of money changes hands really...

Whether it be public or private sector.

Businesses in the traditional sense make money by bringing product to market, not letting it sink to the bottom of the ocean...

Sorry to inform you that oil doesnt sink in water, it floats....

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Of course it should be investigated. After BP, safety regs have to be enforced harshly. However, accidents happen all the time out there. Minor spills are normal.

Please don't use this relatively minor incident to go on some anti-oil rant. Our whole way of society is based on fossil fuels. Until the day that renewables become viable, this is simple reality. Drilling is absolutely necessary.

Renewable enegry is viable, and inexpensive... hell its been here since the late 1800's however there is not profit in clean, readily available free energy... cant make a profit off of something free.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by perpetrator76

Sorry to inform you that oil doesnt sink in water, it floats....

The rigs have floatation devices do they now?

Anyway... oil on the bottom of the ocean.

If you were just being sarcastic though,
, carry on good sir.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by boncho

whoes PR team do you feel sorry for ?

For Black Elk, they are not as big of a company as BP, but they just lost a rig in the Gulf. People aren't happy about failed oil rigs in the Gulf right now...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The rig, a production platform owned by Black Elk Energy, is about 25 miles southeast of Grand Isle, La.

* BP to pay extra US$4.5-billion, biggest criminal fine in U.S. history
* BP’s reckoning: Manslaughter charges, billions of dollars in record criminal fines for oil giant after Gulf spill

The platform is a production platform, unlike the Deepwater Horizon rig, which was drilling an exploratory well for oil giant BP in mile-deep water well to the east of Friday’s reported explosion.

A spokesman for Black Elk Energy could not immediately be reached for comment.

Black Elk is an independent oil and gas company headquartered in Houston, Texas.

The company’s website says it holds interests in properties in Texas and Louisiana waters, including 854 wells on 155 platforms.

This wasn't BP.....
Never the less..... the possibilities remain that this could again pollute to the degree that BP did. Perhaps safeguards were in place to prevent a direct flow into the Gulf waters. That should have been made Law for continued drilling in the Gulf, or anywhere. Especially in view of BP's catastrophe. But, just this week, the news anounced that the US was number one in the production of oil, even edging out Saudi Arabia. Now, don't forget the Salt Dome sinkhole in Louisiana currently at risk of blowing it's top ie. a 100 Hiroshima sized bomb blast potential....... the New Madrid fault..... Fracking, etc.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join