It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Hogwash.

If God showed his face and the Haig did not go after him for genocide and he did a miracle or two, that would instantly be the end of atheism.

It would not change the fact that if that God is as described in scriptures, he would still be the biggest prick in the universe. Atheism would point that out but they would believe.

Regards
DL

If some super powered being showed up claiming to be 'god', ti would just be that; some super powered being, and, regardless the so called miracles they might perform, they'd still have an overwhelming amount of accounting and responsibility to deal with for all the suffering and atrocities 'allowed' under their so called watch.

Even if some super powered being were to show up, there's no accounting for the possibility that given a few hundred, or thousand years time, we, simple humans, could time travel and perform the same exact kind of so called miracles as a result of advanced technologies.

Sufficiently advanced enough technologies will be no different than god-like magic to the superstitious and easily mesmerized/tricked/fooled/cowed.

Worship at the feet of the first magical mystery fraud that comes along if you will. More power to ya.
If there's con artists now, here, on Earth, I've no doubt there's interstellar con artists (if there is other life in the cosmos) floating about playing and pretending at 'god' to any civilization easily duped into such.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

And like many atheists, you lack a social conscience and ignore whether those you care for, your children and grandchildren, will be lost to religion because you did not recognize the groupish or hivish nature that we all have be we atheist or not.

You may be an atheist but one without much of a moral sense.
Life is not just about you my friend.

Regards
DL

Whoah, wait, what?
I have no moral sense?

Please, tell me how much and how often you do volunteer work and donate sizable sums to the poor, homeless, and those in need.
Come on.
When was the last time you volunteered at a soup kitchen?
Never?

Do you give your money to your church so your church leaders can do whatever it is that church leaders do, or, do you give it directly to the homeless and/or charities who's sole purpose is to assist those in need?

I give and participate annually with a number of charities for injured veterans, pediatric brain tumor foundation, homeless, battered women, and several others.

The funny thing is, I find MORE atheists lending a hand, participating, making donations, and helping to help make life easier for others that don't have it so easy, perhaps because we know, THIS LIFE is the ONLY life we'll have, and if I can help to make it easier, to lessen the misery of others, then, all the better, because there's nothing after this, so, make the best of what's here, now, instead of hoping on some fantasy rainbow candy land after X's for eyes.

Sure, there's religious sorts that do volunteer work, and make donations to causes, but, they're typically there because they're SUPPOSED to be.
There's nothing in it for me. No heaven. No recognition from church brothers and sisters for being 'godly' or anything in the church pecking order, or anything of the sort.

How much do you give, and help in your community, not because you're suppose to, but, because people really need help and you can do something about it?

I don't know just how much I contribute to charitable organizations. I leave those issues to my wife to pull out of our budget. She is more giving than I am, generally speaking, and the only input I have had of late was with the Haiti earthquake. She had mentioned doing a special for it and I told/asked her to double it. She has 4 or 5 direct monthly withdrawal things going on and I have never bothered to ask the amounts. She is in charge of the budget.

I gave an explanation of my words to above to Klassified and if you feel I was wrong in your group loyalty rating then let's discuss it.
Good night for now.

Regards
DL

edit on 15-11-2012 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2012 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Hogwash.

If God showed his face and the Haig did not go after him for genocide and he did a miracle or two, that would instantly be the end of atheism.

It would not change the fact that if that God is as described in scriptures, he would still be the biggest prick in the universe. Atheism would point that out but they would believe.

Regards
DL

If some super powered being showed up claiming to be 'god', ti would just be that; some super powered being, and, regardless the so called miracles they might perform, they'd still have an overwhelming amount of accounting and responsibility to deal with for all the suffering and atrocities 'allowed' under their so called watch.

Even if some super powered being were to show up, there's no accounting for the possibility that given a few hundred, or thousand years time, we, simple humans, could time travel and perform the same exact kind of so called miracles as a result of advanced technologies.

Sufficiently advanced enough technologies will be no different than god-like magic to the superstitious and easily mesmerized/tricked/fooled/cowed.

Worship at the feet of the first magical mystery fraud that comes along if you will. More power to ya.
If there's con artists now, here, on Earth, I've no doubt there's interstellar con artists (if there is other life in the cosmos) floating about playing and pretending at 'god' to any civilization easily duped into such.

What you say is a possibility but not a probability as any God worth his title would just make us all believe at whatever satisfaction level we would all need. Think Omni-Max.

If I was a God, I would take it all and would not screw around the way Jesus is said to have done.
He has to return for an encore but I would not.

Regards
DL

<< 1   >>

join