It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONTINUING Radioactive Leaks from Fukushima Being Absorbed Into Pacific Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The Fukushima disaster caused the largest discharge of radioactivity into the ocean ever seen. At this point after the nuclear disaster however, scientist expected that the radiation levels in the waters surrounding the island would have decreased ever so slightly. Well, it hasn't. In fact, they have stayed "stable" since the SHTF over there. Looks like contaminated sediment in water runoff, hot micro-organism decay in the sand, and "continuing leaks" from the plant are to blame for this steady radiation level. After 18 months, the cesium-137 levels in bottom dwelling fish hasn't changed much either. As such, the radiation is finding itself in the food chain still.

Article

Tell me, who in their right mind would eat anything caught in the waters off the coast of the Daiichi plant? Or Japan? Or in the Northern Pacific for that matter?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by davcwebb

Tell me, who in their right mind would eat anything caught in the waters off the coast of the Daiichi plant? Or Japan? Or in the Northern Pacific for that matter?

I wouldn't. I just made a comment in another thread about not eating anything from the Gulf, either.

I must say, all the seas, the building blocks of life are poisoned. Pretty damn scary!
edit on 15-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

Where did you get that map from, and what does it represent and how was the data established?

Most of that radioactivity dispersed across the Pacific Ocean, where it became diluted to extremely low levels. But in the region of the ocean near the plant, levels of caesium-137 have remained fixed at around 1,000 becquerels, a relatively high level compared to the natural background. Similarly, levels of radioactive caesium in bottom-dwelling fish remain pretty much unchanged more than 18 months after the accident.

If don't know why they expect to see a decrease around the plant, they didn't do anything to really contain it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I stopped eating canned tuna and other seafood in general since the leak. I don't trust anything from the ocean anymore

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

... and "continuing leaks" from the plant are to blame for this steady radiation level. After 18 months, the cesium-137 levels in bottom dwelling fish hasn't changed much either. As such, the radiation is finding itself in the food chain still.

Assuming the plant is actually leaking and was the cause of the problem. Caesium-137 is also a by product of nuclear weapon detonations. If it was a detonation, then it would have to be a huge one to cause the tsunami, which would explain the large amount of radiation on the bottom of the seabed.

Another 30 years or so and it will decay.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

and strontium-90 doesn't get a mention. that's the stuff which accumulates in the bones i'm led to understand.

btw the pic. does it show oceanic dispersion or atmospheric? it seems the ocean currents are keeping it north of the equator if it is the former.

f(uk).

ok, i just zoomed into the pic and noticed a 5 year predicted timeline/dispersion model. the pattern is counter to my initial assumption of keeping north. looking at the model it seems to be gradually moving back across the pacific as well as towards the equator.

edit on 15-11-2012 by fakedirt because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2012 by fakedirt because: sp

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yep, no fishsticks, and no crab salad at my house anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It is a tough subject here in Japan. The culture here is not same as what you usually find in many western nations. It is common in Japan for everyone to feel a collective pain and guilt for not standing by each other. The Japanese people have a very strong sense of solidarity which can sometimes cause great harm to society at large.

There have been some very shocking thing happen here in Japan regarding radioactive food. Fishermen still go into the waters catching fish despite known high rad levels in the waters.

One restaurant even started selling radioactive meat to customers; with customers being fully informed of it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Article

Nobody in their right mind would eat greenlings, but what's wrong with eating octopus?

Bottom-dwelling fish in the Fukushima area show radioactivity levels above the limit of 100 becquerels per kilogram set by the Japanese government. Greenlings, for example, have been found to have levels as high as 25,000 becquerels per kilogram. But the contamination varies widely between species. Octopuses and squid seem to have escaped contamination, whereas other fish such as red snapper and sea bass are only sometimes found to be contaminated.
Interesting how it varies so much.

These are the types of economic costs that I don't think are fully accounted for in nuclear power cost models. Nuclear power may be costing us a lot more than we think.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I gotta question.

Is it possible to not eat anything from there? Let it die off I guess.

How do I know that when I get a lobster at a restaurant, it's not a lobster that is contaminated?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I live in Japan and still eat Sushi / Seafood frequently. I don't care really.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Alekto

Until you get terrible stomach cancers and find it what kind of horrendous tortuous death TPTB are inflicting on everyone. Take good self care.

We gave up fish, west coast salmon, one of the healthiest foods, thrown out the window by the Rockefellers and Black Ops who really don't understand its not going to go well for them, for I'll be directly arresting them on the other side, already shown how it goes. All those renegades rounded up and placed in holding cells.

If anything, earth is like a giant sting operation to sort out the good, the bad and the ones that only need a bit of retraining, so they're close. I've been shown that too.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join